• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champion Mamba review

I have a 175 Maroon/Cranberry colored one with a lot of dome, and pulls off the nicest flex shots when released flat that end up right of center, about 325'-350' out. As long as I release flat, it always seems to get a little fade back to straight, if not come a little left after the big right turn. If anny'ed, there's very little return to center. I don't tend to hyzer flip it to flat, because I have a beat Pro Wraith that is dead nuts straight and does that shot better.

I also just picked one up this weekend and got a few field throws with it. I wanted something to mess around with over the winter and try to get better at the long left to right, which for me is the most difficult shot. I can flick a mid to get right if I need to, but I'm no good at hitting any anhyzer line for any kind of distance.

The grip is a bit shallow, but it's not uncomfortable at all and doesn't affect release. That being said, this thing will make me work on release angles. I was throwing with a deep enough hyzer angle that my teebirds and eagles would ride a high hyzer with hard fade, but the mamba would just flip up flat and go.

Throwing flat is not an option with this disc. It'll just hit the ground and try to roll, and occasionally it would roll for quite some distance but usually it would just die. I gotta work on dialing in the right amount of hyzer to get it to fly with any kind of consistency. The disc has a lot of glide and I know that it has the potential to bomb, but it's gotta be released between a natural hyzer and a spike hyzer kind of angle. It's pretty touchy.

I'm going to work with it some more. I know that it can be a fun disc when I get it dialed in. It's super easy to flick a long ways, though. Just set it on a deep angle with some snap and it flips up and tracks left the whole way. That's what I want to be able to do with it backhand, though, just track right instead of left (RHBH). If I need something to get left, a natural hyzer will get there.

Has anybody also thrown the MVP Amp? I'm curious about the difference in lines.

My understanding of the Amp is that it's truly understable off the rack. Give that the Mamba is also understable I'm curious which one would produce more consistent turnovers. I know that there is a big speed difference but I am considering retiring my beat Vulcan and filling the gap.

I've really been wanting to try a Mamba, and this thread reinforces that! I've seen how it flies for a couple guys that don't have any snap or a lot of distance so I was kind of worried that it would be too understable for me, but I doubt it will be.

To me it sounds like a longer Diamond. I love Diamonds for in the woods, stand stills, uphills, over hands, sidearms, tail winds, shrimp stew, shrimp burgers, shrimp and grits, shrimp scampi, shrimp etouffee, shrimp egg rolls, shrimps in oyster sauce... that's... that's about it.

I can see your point zenbot. I think if you are replacing a Vulcan then the Mamba may do it for you. I think the Amp is supposed to "fairway" speed.

To me it sounds like a longer Diamond. I love Diamonds for in the woods, stand stills, uphills, over hands, sidearms, tail winds, shrimp stew, shrimp burgers, shrimp and grits, shrimp scampi, shrimp etouffee, shrimp egg rolls, shrimps in oyster sauce... that's... that's about it.

Lmao:clap:

Longer Diamond is dead on, assuming you have a Mamba in the 150's. Although some are more understable than others, even in the low weights. The real domey ones seem to have very low PLH. I have a 150g and 167g. The 150g has significantly higher PLH and flies much more stable, with a slight high speed turn but nothing like the other one. It flies just like my 158g champ Valkyrie except much longer.

Last edited:
Addtl Mamba info that might prove useful for those considering this disc:

I originally had a 167g, early run just as they became available, stock production stamp. It had a very high dome and very low PLH. It was squirrely, very understable, and hard to keep straight.

Later I ordered a couple 157g's, which were identical, with moderate domes, and slightly higher PLH than the 167g. I though "these look good". Wrong! They were terribly understable, I couldn't keep them from turning and burning even when using both an exaggerated hyzer release and a limited x-step(i.e. no run up).

Then I saw a 150g Mamba at a local store, unique in that it was a translucent pearly blue, gummier, with a smaller dome, and much higher PLH than the others. THIS one flies straight to slight turnover with a flat release, and it's very long, very glidey, and very controllable. It can handle straight, fade, hyzer and anhyzers equally well. Basically very neutral in its flight. It's a winner...but it's also a fluke Mamba. Got lucky is all.

Last edited:
I've got an Amp on the way and can compare the Mamba to the Amp when it arrives.

I want to address the impression that guys with big arms might not like the Mamba. Well I can throw pretty far and I love the Mamba. You just have to learn that you have to really back off the amount of snap you are putting on this disc to make it work for you. There are times when I'm almost lofting this thing in the air but when you dial it in it's quite impressive; especially when you're lofting it 350ft with ease.

You can hit a lot of lines with it but the main things I use it for are easy turnover shots and hyzer flips. The turnover lines are incredible because the mamba has so much glide, I let it go flat with a bit of snap and some height and you can really work it so it goes out straight and then starts to turn and glides out. It definitely takes some getting used to but it's a great disc, imo this is one time where Innova got something right and improved upon the other discs in its class like the roadrunner.

I should also mention that the Mamba I have is a CFR with a ton of sparkle in it so I'm not sure if mine is more stable the production runs. Although I plan to go grab some production Mambas this week. I'll also mention that I might have some pro Mamba bias because the first round I played with it I aced #5 on Darkside.

Last edited:
Those who don't/can't throw understable discs, due to OAT or just overpowering them in general, would do well to revisit clean form and work with understable drivers, for long anhyzers if nothing else...most all courses have L-R holes.

The Roadrunner is probably the best of the bunch(drivers) as far as easy and consistent anhyzers that keep tracking right all the way to the ground.

i have a blizz mamba turns right and tracks true and levels out nicely. doesn't flip tho. but i don't have a big arm. Roadrunner will flip on me. when i want a right turn and level flight. i use my mamba

i have a blizz mamba turns right and tracks true and levels out nicely. doesn't flip tho. but i don't have a big arm. Roadrunner will flip on me. when i want a right turn and level flight. i use my mamba

You must mean champion Mamba, right? Mamba not available in blizzard...

I'm interested in seeing how this compares to the Amp.

My buddy who has a fairly weak arm just started throwing the Amp I gave him and it's a little overstable for him. I was thinking about getting him a Mamba to see how it works out.

I wish they made these in Star plastic.

I'm interested in seeing how this compares to the Amp.

My buddy who has a fairly weak arm just started throwing the Amp I gave him and it's a little overstable for him. I was thinking about getting him a Mamba to see how it works out.

I wish they made these in Star plastic.

Get him a Roadrunner. The smaller rim makes it a little easier to control than the Mamba, and it comes in Star.

Latest posts