• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champion Mamba review

I love my Mamba. At first I thought it would only be good for rollers but the more I have worked with it the more I am able to make it to amazing things. I haven't developed the best consistency with it yet but that's me more than the disc.

the mamba is like a speed 11 x comet. smooth clean form is rewarded with amazing lines. you can throw it with hyzer and have it stand up and do the slow turn over it is great.

I'm glad that someone else thinks this way. I've often thought that a Mamba would be a good driver compliment to the Comet for "new player" training purposes.

I had a champ Mamba and lost it. I decided to try a TD2 Fever becouse of how close these feel to each other. Are they the same mold or has the Discmania disc been changed a little bit. For me the TD2 has been a tad more stable. Still easy to turnover but with a little hyzer it flips up to flat and then holds the line.

The TD2 looks like the Dismania driver top with the Mamba bottom. I have one and it seems a little slower than my Mamba...I haven't given it a thorough testing by any means though.

question: is the Mamba as insanely shallow as the TD2?

Almost, but not quite as bad, which is one of the reasons I prefer the Mamba before even testing the TD2. My domey Mambas give me a little more room under there. It's still not a disc that feels good in my hand, but I've learned the grip and only pull the disc out in pretty specific situations anyway.

okay I think I can get behind that. I may have to grab me a tester. What weight do you recommend for a longer range thrower like myself?

okay I think I can get behind that. I may have to grab me a tester. What weight do you recommend for a longer range thrower like myself?

I would advise something 172+. For someone with a cannon like yourself, don't overpower it. Let the disc do the work.
I would really appreciate it if you let us all know how it goes...

I only use max weight, and unless there are positive wind conditions I usually use them up to 400-420'. Also get a domey one. Mine is orange and it is more stable than others I've tried that were either lighter or flatter.

I would recommend max weight as well. the one i traded for is 172 and i just found a max weight protstar that i am looking forward to trying.

Is it just me or is the TD and TD2 slightly more stable than the bottom molds they are based on. I assumed since they are "anhyzer" tops with roadrunner and mamba bottoms respectively that they would be slightly less stable than the bottom molds they are based on.

BTW Fred, if you have ever tried a Blizzard Wraith, how would they compare distance-wise? Different stability to be sure, but just curious, as they are both speed 11.

I would advise something 172+. For someone with a cannon like yourself, don't overpower it. Let the disc do the work.
I would really appreciate it if you let us all know how it goes...

I throw my distance drivers around 420 or so and I have a 175 red champ that is very good at hitting huge sweeping anhyzers for almost the same distance that I'm getting with Nukes and the Lace. Hopefully that will help you decide on a weight range.

I got a yellow one when they released that was super flippy and I couldn't do much with. I traded it off. Got offered a proto stamp blue one months ago and never really threw it until recently. I've cleaned up my form some so I'm sure that helps but this one just feels different and is super domey. I can hyzer flip it to some pretty sweet lines.

I found the Mamba to be exactly like a Vision and I did not like either one. Both the ones I tried were just too flippy. I usually like understable discs but those two for me were junk.

I had a vision which was a fliptastic uncontrollable turd. The mamba for me if I am smooth is effortless distance and flies on some interesting fun lines.

Well I yesterday I got a 172 pink champ, nice dome, really gummy feeling and clear (no pearling). The grip takes a minute to adjust to but no real issues when throwing. I only did field throws today.

first throw was into a headwind (lulz). I threw with steep hyzer (~30°) and it flipped all the way over to a roller (no good measurement hit an early fence). Tail wind throws with slightly less hyzer flipped to flat and tracked right about 75 ft and faded forward ~420. The fading forward part didn't excite me because I wanted this disc to finish right. but the tailwind probably made the disc fade forward. still need more field throws that don't involve throwing between two outfields.

this disc is easily overpowered but is useful. In calm conditions I can see this disc flipping from hyzer and turning/tracking right like daddy wants. I need to get some on course throws with this to see how useful it really is.

I think noodle arms will get a lot of mileage out of this but the super shallow grip may play tricks.

No glow mambas yet. Any more stable than others?

I have several Champ Mambas, but the most stable is the Bowling Green Ams CFR disc with the small shield on it.
Also, as you might expect, the max weight ones are more stable than lighter ones.

The Mamba is a very understable disc. It is ideal for anyone with a max distance of less than 325-350. If you throw further than that, it's probably best to keep on looking.
There's nothing for you here, unless you want a roller or anny disc.

Last edited:

Latest posts