• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte re-design? Can DG be TOO public?

Grodney,

We were told that the school kids use that playground, and if they wish to enter the park, they need a permission slip.

Thanks for the map.

Thanks for the clarification of the stated usage -- I didn't mean to mis-characterize it in the initial post. Was just trying to give an idea of the potentially impacted users.

Still seems strange that schoolkids would use a park playground -- but hey, my daughters classes often go next door to the (Charmeck joint-owned?) YMCA fields for their recess (at Hawk Ridge), which also clearly is not strictly "school grounds", whatever that is.

Granted I have no dog in this fight at all being that i live way down in FL away from all of this. BUT that being said:
a: a picture would be nice to see how exactly this matters

AND

b: all of this stems from a fallen tree?? it seems as if it should be a no brainer to get the tree out of the way for a multitude of reasons and play the hole now as it is. If it is easier make some type of a mando or something but a fallen tree is just going to die and be a safety hazard of sorts and going to cause clean up of it in the future anyways. It will only act as an obstacle for a certain period of time. Just clean it up and move on.

again, just my 2 cents

Either way, the fact that young children are too close to disc golfers is our problem, yes ?

Like the guy from Arkansas mentioned, it seems to be a paradox of sorts.

I'm hesitant to post, but I will since I live so close...

The course is REALLY well received within the neighborhood. No problems or complaints. If we want to redesign the course to make it better, I'm all for it. If we want to redesign the course to avoid a problem that doesn't exist, I think that is crazy. Disc golf is played in public parks throughout the city, county, state and country. Why are we trying to hide when we are trying to grow?

People searching for a problem that doesn't exist. Unless those people are the ones that want to smoke, drink and swear. Then they are just looking for cover.

I agree 100% with this quote.

b: all of this stems from a fallen tree?? it seems as if it should be a no brainer to get the tree out of the way for a multitude of reasons and play the hole now as it is. If it is easier make some type of a mando or something but a fallen tree is just going to die and be a safety hazard of sorts and going to cause clean up of it in the future anyways. It will only act as an obstacle for a certain period of time. Just clean it up and move on.

Ha ha, sorry, the fallen tree discussion was just how this hole in particular came up. The discussion itself has nothing at all to do with the tree.

About the playground in question, when I played there two weeks ago, it was covered with school aged children at two in the afternoon, so I would assume that it's used by school kids.

My point (Huey) BTW about the neighborhood/ location is still my stance. Better safe than sorry. There may never be an issue, however, I drool at the possibility of replacing 2 or 3 blah holes with what could be done back behind the middle holes of the course. Things happen and courses change. When I present to town or city board I always say how flexible disc golf is and we will adjust to any future park improvements or issues and rarely get push back after a presentation. Sometimes a proactive approach, marketed back to the park department helps us gain favor in other areas...they dont want complaints and phone calls...maybe we get a back scratching with use of their machinery in a concrete pour. Stan quickly redesigned holes at the Elon short course because of something the park wanted to do. That will reap rewards in the future.

The above points about being flexible are gold. There's no reason we can't play nicely with the other kids in the sandbox. If we're willing to change courses to avoid potential problems, and/or accommodate things the park wants to do, it goes a long way. We have to be realistic about our sport... it has to coexist with all the other demands of park property and finances. Why not do what we can to facilitate that?

I'd love to see the thread title changed, dropping the Charlotte lead in the title at least and leave it as a continuing discussion over in the course design forum. This specific tree could lead to some good talking points.

Lots of good discussion about what benefits vs downsides there are in being "very public", "unseen vs seen" and what is "too public" and its opposite - "no visual accountability"

The neighborhood really sees the course as an asset to the park, many enjoy walking the fairways through the woods (totally inaccessible before we built the course), many more have picked up the game. On a nice Saturday a few weeks ago, in one hour I counted 6-7 groups of parents and kids playing. After 2 full years of the course being under their nose, there has been zero complaints that have surfaced. For some reason, the course does not get many of the 2 disk flingers with a 12 pack, which are the types we would be concerned interacting with the tot lot area; also a reason we stay clean of a lot of litter despite only having 3-4 trashcans.

Great point Tom. a lot of that I think can be attributed to the area the course is located in. It is well outside of Charlotte Metro and seems to be in a nice neighborhood. I thoroughly enjoyed my round out there last Oct.

I'm hesitant to post, but I will since I live so close...

The course is REALLY well received within the neighborhood. No problems or complaints. If we want to redesign the course to make it better, I'm all for it. If we want to redesign the course to avoid a problem that doesn't exist, I think that is crazy. Disc golf is played in public parks throughout the city, county, state and country. Why are we trying to hide when we are trying to grow?

That's how I feel about it. If you can make the course play better than go through the trouble of redesigning but as it is, I'd leave it be unless an actual problem arose.

Too much paranoia over DG's perception in my opinion, schools are very probably worse influences on the students than random disc golfers playing nearby. When I was that young, I'd be completely oblivious to whatever some adults were doing over there in the park, rather, I'd be figuring out how to knock little Jimmy's bogarting ass off the damn swing set.

....They should put a basket by that "blair witch" looking house in the woods (not sure what hole that was or what significance that building has to the property)

All in all (and I don't know the property boundaries/off limit areas) It did look like there was some room when playing the middle of the course till we came back out in the open. Correct me if I'm wrong because it was getting dark when we finished there, but don't you have to walk right through the playground to get to one of those tees? (maybe 16 or 17). Also fwiw I know its not far away from charlotte, but if memory serves me correctly it felt like I was "driving into the country" when we went there. How much traffic does that course really get?

how about they move the tees to the other side of the parking lot so you have to throw over it? sounds like the best solution to me

....They should put a basket by that "blair witch" looking house in the woods (not sure what hole that was or what significance that building has to the property)

That's the remains of an old plantation building. Hence the name of the course, Plantation Ruins.

That's the remains of an old plantation building. Hence the name of the course, Plantation Ruins.

As someone with an anthropology background, I'd advise not doing that. If someone found out that the DG course puts an archaeological/historical resource in peril it could get pulled.

I don't know what charlotte disc golfers are doing they can't be 75 feet from a playgound for 5 minutes. I hope parents and disc golfers would speak up to anybody being offensive on those teepads.