• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Check out this lie

:doh: It took me a minute to figure out "lie" in the thread title wasn't the falsehood of being in bounds. If a course has OB marked with a painted line and any part of the disc touches the OB line, then your disc is in bounds.

In tourneys around here, paved roads and paved paths are often considered OB. Most TDs here advise taking a pencil and jabbing it into the ground around the disc. If the pencil hits pavement, its OB. If the pencil hits and penetrates the dirt, you're OK (group decision willing). On water holes with OB, most TDs around here advise to press the disc straight down. If the outer edge of the entire disc is surrounded by water then you're OB. Also, if you're in, don't forget to place your mini one meter in from the OB as you cannot throw with any contacting point being out of bounds.

As far as I know around here when there isn't a hard and fast "line" if the grass is inbounds, and it lands on top of grass, even one blade, which it looks like it did, then we'd call it in.

We consider it in bounds if it is touching any least part of fairway, including one blade of grass. I always thought that was the correct rule, but maybe not given comments. Way to burst my bubble guys!!!

So if there is a crack across the road with a trail of grass is growing in it and your throw ends touching grass along that crack in the middle of the road, you're in :D

Its in bounds if there is a four leaf clover within one meter of the disc.

clover_zps5b0873b8.jpg

cloverzoom0_zps44d01732.jpg

cloverzoom_zps00b92924.jpg

:doh: It took me a minute to figure out "lie" in the thread title wasn't the falsehood of being in bounds. If a course has OB marked with a painted line and any part of the disc touches the OB line, then your disc is in bounds.

In tourneys around here, paved roads and paved paths are often considered OB. Most TDs here advise taking a pencil and jabbing it into the ground around the disc. If the pencil hits pavement, its OB. If the pencil hits and penetrates the dirt, you're OK (group decision willing). On water holes with OB, most TDs around here advise to press the disc straight down. If the outer edge of the entire disc is surrounded by water then you're OB. Also, if you're in, don't forget to place your mini one meter in from the OB as you cannot throw with any contacting point being out of bounds.

The disc is allowed to touch the pavement.

His point was that if there is no place where the pencil goes into dirt then the disc is surrounded by pavement and therefore OB.

There's a problem of perception here. In the vast majority of cases, the OB area is explicately stated and all other areas are considered in. The only exception might be island areas where the default is OB unless otherwise noted.

So to say "the grass is in" is incorrect. The correct statement is "the road is out." While it seems like both are the same, this highlights one case where the distinction is very important. In this case, the disc is entirely on the road which is defined as OB while also touching the grass which should not necessarily be considered "not OB."

The disc is allowed to touch the pavement.

They usually say "play it as if a river" so surrounded by water/asphalt to be considered OB. It usually takes them several minutes to explain this rule at the players meetings and I often wonder if everyone truly gets it. Player confusion is also the reason most TDs around here suspend the two meter rule. Beer is allowed and shirts are occasionally required.

There is no longer a 2 meter rule. TDs have to state that there is a 2 meter rule for it to be in effect.

there never was. It was a made up rule that someone that couldnt throw high made up to make it easier for them self. OK maybe the last part is made up but it sounds good:D

My partner threw this shot playing doubles last night. My shot was behind his by about 100 feet, but his was pin high, but almost in the street. We got a good laugh from the one blade of grass that saved us. Missed the birdie putt. :doh:

View attachment 39557

804.04 Out-of-Bounds

A. A disc is out-of-bounds if its position is clearly and completely surrounded by an out-of-bounds area. See 802.02.B for determining when a disc in water or foliage has come to rest.

B. The out-of-bounds line is part of the out-of-bounds area.
To me this lie is out of bounds. Even if there is the grass, the disc is completly surrounded by the out-of-bounds area (road). I don't know if that white line is all along the road, but I would make that the OB-line.

Latest posts