• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Cheetah?

Eemeli137

Par Member
So is Innovas Cheetah OOP or do they make them still? I would also be interested in hearing thoughts from people that have tried this disc

I see DX Cheetahs everywhere I look. they're in the Innova Catalog, so I don't think they're OOP. The Innova Factory store has some premium plastic ones if you don't want DX:

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=cheetah&order=relevance&dir=desc

I had a DX one for a little while, but I got rid of it pretty quickly. Most people will probably tell you that the Leopard is better, and I would have to agree with them.

I have beat cheetah in the bag for rollin. Throw it full power flat, and watch it roll.

does anyone here throw them instead of a leopard or something similar?

I love my 10x Cheetahs. They're slow but have good glide - beautiful flight. Thrown flat, it's straight-to-slightly understable with a predictable fade. It'll hold hyzers and anhyzers well. I also use it for short flick approaches. Oh and the plastic is grippy goodness.

I've found a few used ones for around $20.

I got a DX Leopard and Cheetah at the same time when I first started playing. Their flights were very similar with the Cheetah definitely having a bit more fade at the end. Once they got really beat in, I never really replaced either of them. I still use the Cheetah as a controlled roller and it works very well for that.

I prefer the Cheetah over the Leopard. It has a more controllable turn and a more reliable fade. The thing is that they aren't as reliable at higher power (>320' or so) than the Gazelle, Cyclone or Eagle and aren't readily available in higher end plastics so they aren't as popular. The Polaris LS is a similar disc that's available in different plastics, but not a DX type plastic.

In my opinion I love alot of 6-7 speed drivers. I like Gazelles over teebirds, I like Cheetahs over Leopards but have used leopards before. I also use eagle x's. To me I can get distance wise the same for cheetahs, gazelles and eagles and they go just a little farther than the leopard for me. I use cheetahs on a hyzer and they pop up and then faded at the end, dead straight lines.

I still bag a beat DX Circle Stamp Cheetah for turnovers and rollers. That plastic holds up pretty well, way better than current DX. More like a tad softer KC Pro. Seems like Champs were stock for awhile, but I could be wrong. They roll better than faster discs b/c of the more rounded rim they have, IMO.

I think they're great slower mid/fairway tweener discs and good for new players, but that's probably why they don't get a lot of love. They're not that much longer than glidey mids and not any more controllable than slower fairways once you get your form down. There are just other discs that can cover the shots that the Cheetah is good at just as well, but are more versatile, IMO.

That old one that I have just feels so familiar in the hand that it's hard to get rid of, though. If I'm having a bad day, it's just good to throw it flat and watch it dive to the ground and start rolling.

I throw my wife's 150g Cheetah once in a while and I am surprised at how stable it is. Really easy distance with the same consistent fade at the end. Not sure how it beats in yet. If I had a 150g class bag, I would most probably get a DX Cheetah... Now that I think about it, it would be interesting to build up a 150g class bag!

Necro bump

I took a digital stroll down to the Innova factory store last week and for some unknown reason I felt compelled to order a star Cheetah (and a Gazelle). I hadn't thrown one in nearly 20 years and curiosity got the better of me.

After a rigorous day of Cheetah tossing at Tom Brown, which is one of Florida's best, I walked away happily impressed. As expected, the Cheetah's learning curve was extremely quick. I had it dialed in after just 1 or 2 throws. The Leopard comparison with a little less glide or a slightly shorter Leopard sentiment is pretty spot on. It absorbed a lot of the 220-300ft workload with relative ease.

I could see myself subing a Cheetah in for a lot of longer mid type shots on low ceiling or uphill fairways, assuming this mold in star plastic doesn't season too quickly.

Necro bump

I took a digital stroll down to the Innova factory store last week and for some unknown reason I felt compelled to order a star Cheetah (and a Gazelle). I hadn't thrown one in nearly 20 years and curiosity got the better of me.

After a rigorous day of Cheetah tossing at Tom Brown, which is one of Florida's best, I walked away happily impressed. As expected, the Cheetah's learning curve was extremely quick. I had it dialed in after just 1 or 2 throws. The Leopard comparison with a little less glide or a slightly shorter Leopard sentiment is pretty spot on. It absorbed a lot of the 220-300ft workload with relative ease.

I could see myself subing a Cheetah in for a lot of longer mid type shots on low ceiling or uphill fairways, assuming this mold in star plastic doesn't season too quickly.

I got a Star Cheetah last summer and it's really hanging in. It feels really small in my hand, and like you say, those tight forest shots really like it.

I still have a few of these floating around; they kicked Cyclones out of my bag for a bit. I stopped throwing them because I had like 20 Cyclones and my oldest child had just been born so buying more Cheetahs seemed not cost effective.

picture.php

They were noticably beefier than the DX Cheetahs at the time but I'm sure they are not as beefy as a Star Cheetah. I stuck with them when the Eagle/TeeBird came out as I didn't notice any sort of huge improvement distance-wise with the Eagle and the TeeBird was a totally different thing. I'd totally throw Pro Cheetahs if they were a thing.

I got my Cheetahs about as far as my as far the Cyclones for golf distance, so I threw Cheetahs. Also before Eagles and Teebirds, the fact that they were mostly KC went well with the rest of my bag (Aviars, Rocs, Cheetahs, Banshees, and Whippets for really over-stable) back then. Still have a bin full of old DX and KC Cheetahs. Some Cheetah 2's as well.