• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Choosing a disc (beginner in need of help)

esill17

I have a friend who wants to start playing disc golf, and doesn't know what discs to get. He wants to throw RHBH, but doesn't know much other than throwing ultimate discs around.

The problem is I throw RHFH and always have, so I feel i am not that great of a help to him.

Would it be better to lean towards overstable or understable for his driver, and what about the weight. I prefer a heavier disc, but I read that lighter discs are better for beginners.

He is looking for something that will be reliable, not frustrate him, and be a great stepping stone into the game.

Any advice or disc suggestions please,

even if you just want to say what your first driver was and what you thought when you first started playing

I would start him out with something easier to control and have him work into the drivers. Starting with a mid range or putter disc is the best IMO and something on the light and understable side. I recommend something like the Stingray or even just an Aviar.

From Inova's web site:

Aero is a great disc for new players. It's the straightest point-to-point golf disc and the easiest disc to keep on the fairway for novice players.

The Aero is very Frisbee like. It's easy to throw and is my favorite control disc. Although I don't really like to putt with one, it's the best I've found for single disc rounds.

excuse me for possibly sounding like a d**k but is he any good at throwing ultimate discs?

if so then a 'lid-style' disc like a Innova Birdie or Discraft Rattler would be good choices. My ultimate buddies that play love those discs because they fly just like lids but go about 15-20% farther.

if his control/distance with an ultimate disc is not as good then I would recommend a 150 class midrange like a cobra or stingray. DThunder's recommendation of the Aero is also very good.

I would say something like Aviar, Buzzz SS, and maybe a Leopard (160's), with the leopard being optional. A beginner will do just fine with a mid and a putter.

All good advice. I'm fairly new myself, but I've learned a lot here. An easy disc will encourage your friend to keep at it. I'd add a putter to the mix since that's something he'll need to learn really quickly to play. It might be wise to pick up some used gear at Play it Again Sports or see tarel's thread in the marketplace. He's got some premium discs for cheap.

I'm sort of in the same boat in terms of helping out a novice player. I'm a 6'2" male and pretty strong, but my female co-worker is about 5'2" and will never generate the same arm speed. She grabbed a couple of random Innova discs, but I'm trying to get her into some lighter fairway drivers to increase her distance.

Start him off with a Buzz and Magnet. That is how I start new players. We leave the drivers at home, till they can control a Midrange and putter

One other offering. I was given a custom stamped Shark at the inauguration of the course just outside my office. It's actually a good learner's disc. Nice and domey so it glides a lot. Innova mentions "you can even putt with it."

At the time I didn't know squat about different brands of discs, weights, flights, etc. I think it helped me ease into the sport. So, that's my plug for the Shark as a beginner's disc.

I just pulled a Star Mako out of my collection the other day and started throwing it again. Feels more comfortable for fan gripping than a Buzzz in my opinion. I'll probably keep this in the bag for those "poke" shots where I don't want to hyzer flip a beat Rhyno. So, in that case, I bet this would be a good transition disc. Doesn't get as much love as the aviar/buzzz/leopard combination, but it's another thought.

Mako is a great disc for a beginner, also Aviars!!! If he wants something with a little distance to start out with I definitely recommend a Leopard or Gazelle, good easy to learn Fairway Drivers!!!!

Start him in the mid 160's for weight purposes, it really helped me learn to get snap on the discs.

Also if he wants a true driver you can never go wrong learning with a BEAST!!!!

150g Leopard! Very flexible, very forgiving, easy distance. And except into a stiff breeze very easy to control for beginners. When I started 4 years ago a 150g Champ Leopard was the easiest to get out to decent distance. And I still have that same disc in my bag.

I believe a discraft Rattler would be best in low weights because of it "lid-like" feel and is controllable.

Mids: comet, fuse, mako, stingray, or shark.
Fairway: leopard, cheetah, gazelle, cyclone, jls, xl, or even xpress.
Distance: valk, xs, or wildcat.

If you want him to learn to love fade, go roc for mid and the clone, gaz, or cheetah for driver.

surprisingly, the discs that people suggest most to newer players, are also the discs most used by the majority of dgcr players (see that vondrel thread, i don't have the link)

what were the top discs in that thread? i think teebird, leopard, buzzz, wizard... something like that.

I came from a background in ultimate too. My first 2 discs were an Aero and a Roc. If I could do it over I would go Aero and Comet. They are both domey and fly super straight; similar to an ultrastar.

Why stay away from higher quality plastic? If they are gonna be beating up discs wouldn't a more durable plastic be a good things?

He'll probably be losing discs as well as beating them up. It's more expensive to replace higher quality plastic.

He'll probably be losing discs as well as beating them up. It's more expensive to replace higher quality plastic.

also, im happy that i started with dx and pro. i learned how a disc's flight path changes as cheap plastic is beat in and how this could aid my game.

if i could do it all over i would probably have started with the same discs.

if started with a bunch of Z and Champion i'd have no idea how great it is to have a pro d XL and Buzzz wrapping themselves around tight turns or doing spike rollers.

Latest posts