• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chosing a pairing of Mids

I think I may be the only person in the country that throws an Innova Kite lol. In my opinion it is a very underrated understable mid. I also have an mvp tangent with similar specs and I cant get it to do what I can get the Kite to do.

Desperately trying to find a slick 3 disc mid range combo myself and currently running with:

Very OS - Z Drone (mildly seasoned)
Workhorse - FLX Buzz (mildly seasoned)
Quite US - ProD Buzz (very beat) or a Champ Aviar

:thmbup:
I think I may be the only person in the country that throws an Innova Kite lol.
:thmbup:

A buddy throws Kites. Great respect for the glide and ability to take the power. The thing that makes me leery with the Kite as a 'mid' is that it just seems like a disc that would take a lot of growing pains to dial it in... and still after that with the glide you are a bad gust of wind away from disaster.

Desperately trying to find a slick 3 disc mid range combo myself and currently running with:

Very OS - Z Drone (mildly seasoned)
Workhorse - FLX Buzz (mildly seasoned)
Quite US - ProD Buzz (very beat) or a Champ Aviar

:thmbup::thmbup:

A buddy throws Kites. Great respect for the glide and ability to take the power. The thing that makes me leery with the Kite as a 'mid' is that it just seems like a disc that would take a lot of growing pains to dial it in... and still after that with the glide you are a bad gust of wind away from disaster.

The glide is what I like about it. Put it on an anny and the disc does the rest.

I think your mids are OK. As long as they do what you need then so be it. I personally chose my mids to fill all available options. I'm a Discraft guy so my mids look like this: Z Hornet for stable shots and forehands, Z Wasp for stable to straight with a little fade and my Z Buzzz for straight to Anny lines.

With everyone giving you overstable, stable, and understable, I would challenge you to do more with less. Pick the most neutral midrange that you're carrying and play with only it.

While this certainly is a great way to practice shaping lines and throwing different angles, I would not recommend to play only like that. There are some lines that you just can't all throw with the same disc.

While this certainly is a great way to practice shaping lines and throwing different angles, I would not recommend to play only like that. There are some lines that you just can't all throw with the same disc.

While that's fine and dandy for experienced players, the OP is obviously pretty new to the game. Being able to know the limitations of a disc is a great way to improve himself instead of carrying a stack discs, non of which he knows what they can really do.

There are some lines that you just can't all throw with the same disc.

when it comes to midranges I would say there is very little separation in line shaping between neutral molds. OS mids are going to be the only ones which you can't throw every line with otherwise a stable/US mid is much better to work on just ONE vs 3 different ones (even pros take this approach you don't see 4 different mid range molds being used generally its 1 and a upshot putter...with few others for certain conditions' It takes a very long time to figure out a disc fully and understand how to shape all different lines. Now knowing that X disc is better than Y is just a matter of trial and error but not really going to help anyone get better by carrying them all.

While that's fine and dandy for experienced players, the OP is obviously pretty new to the game. Being able to know the limitations of a disc is a great way to improve himself instead of carrying a stack discs, non of which he knows what they can really do.

IMO it's just important to know the difference. Learning line shaping is one thing, but IMO composing your bag and learning the discs in it is also important. Maybe a few weeks later down the line.

when it comes to midranges I would say there is very little separation in line shaping between neutral molds. OS mids are going to be the only ones which you can't throw every line with otherwise a stable/US mid is much better to work on just ONE vs 3 different ones (even pros take this approach you don't see 4 different mid range molds being used generally its 1 and a upshot putter...with few others for certain conditions' It takes a very long time to figure out a disc fully and understand how to shape all different lines. Now knowing that X disc is better than Y is just a matter of trial and error but not really going to help anyone get better by carrying them all.

Pros take all different sort of approaches to their midrange selection. Feldberg used to carry like 10 at a time for a while.

Pros also have the time to do all the fieldwork to get to know their discs.

What I ment is simply that you can not use the same disc to make a) a hyzer flip that keeps going right till it lands and b) a s-shot that starts with a sharp anhyzer and still goes left at the end. Maybe you could, but it's easier to have separate discs for those throws.

I own 12 mids, I love mids and after awhile I just got more and more confused. My advise, field work!

I have a school ground that has lots of Lacrosse nets on it and I pace off distances between them. Then, I throw them all, over and over again, hyzers this time, annies the next, then straight. All distances over and over. After a while I narrowed it down to 4. The shark was bumped for the Mako3, the meteor was bumped for a beat KC pro Roc, the esp buzz was bumped for the new Pro Roc, my star Mako was bumped for the Buzz ss and the Fuse was just plane dumped as too unreliable at anything.

I now carry 4 and I only practice with those. It's easier in the end, but it takes some field work. Never mind all the one time fabulous shots you can't repeat, mids are about accuracy and consistency.

I only use 2 mids. Both I consider my "go to" disc depending on what I need to do. The one I have used the longest is the KC Pro Roc 175g. Love that disc and will probably always have one in my bag. A Roc can be put on just about any line but I primarily use it for straight shots, annie's, forehands and floaters as well as for short drives that call for those kind of shots off the T.

My compliment to the KC Pro Roc is my Discraft Wasp also in a 175g. The Wasp is a very predictable over stable driver. I use it for any upshot where I absolutely want it to turn left (RHBH). I can also throw it on an "S" line and can forehand it as well.

Between the two I don't find the need for another mid in my modest bag.

Rick G

I am also a fan of the Roc/Comet combo. Though as of late I have been rolling with the Roc/Flying Squirrel Combo and have been absolutely killing it. That combo is flat out dirty.

I just carry one mid. The truth. I throw it forehand, backhand, hyzer anny etc. might throw a verdict in at some point for something I can really rip on with no turn. That'll cover everything for me as I like to throw FH instead if late turning shots at midrange distance

On wooded courses or courses with tight fairways, mids are critical to scoring well. I carry up to 5 different mids with me when I play them. They stay on line so much better than fairway or distance drivers without as much skipping into trouble.

On an open course, I'll just carry a couple.

Overall, you can't have enough mids. You'd be surprised how well you score on wooded courses if you use them.

KC Roc/X Comet can't be beat. I hear good things from GYRO heads about the Tangent/Tensor

if i had to pick two mids and only two mids, this would be it exactly. either that or a vector and a comet. a comet just has stupid control and low speed glide that the roc can't match.

tangent/tensor would be good too.

i go roc/roc. for now anyway. i don't really see it changing. ;)

Champ roc3 and a comet. The roc3 especially in champ plastic will be plenty over stable and hold hyzer lines consistently. The comet goes straaaaaaiiigght and is sneaky long (300+ft power with a medium swing and a good snap). The other nice thing about the comet is its ability to be a turnover disc.

The bad thing about the comet is that it's finicky when not thrown with good form. So when your lazy or playing tired on that 2nd or 3rd round on a course the comet will let you know your form is crap.

I try to have one mid the goes mostly straight or holds like how I throw it, Buzzz. One the fades hard left and has some glide to run at longer approaches, wasp. Last ole the turns right out of the hand for those shot as well as playing some ski resort mountain courses, meteor or comet. Switched often.

Everyone has a different mix and sounds like yours are working.

I carry 5 mids right now and each for a specific reason.

Vector - Overstable and very high speed. Very fast disc.

Alias - My upshot disc. Not very fast and has air breaks when it slows down and a small fade. Also a laser line at high speed.

Champ Roc3 - For some crazy reason I can forehand this mid like no other. Plastic feels great. This disc also has a slow constant fade RHBH. A long slow arc.

KC Pro Roc - Slow speed does everything. While the Alias is more overstable the Roc is almost neutral yet can take a lot of power and not flip over. Also very accurate and holds almost any line.

Comet - Straight glide with zero fade. Zero. It and the KC Pro Roc are very similar except the Comet is more understable, can't take as much power and will glide for days.