• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clear Coat on Discs

tharealmclovin

Par Member
I made a detailed multi color stencil on my disc. I was wondering if there is any kind of clear coat to put onto the disc to keep the color there. It is really light colors and I dont want them to fade

Last edited:
dyes will inevitably fade, but you can put them in the freezer for a day or two after the dye to help cure it to slow the uglification (wow... thats actually a word)
.. I heard that people soak their dyed cloth in a vinegar bath to help cure it, but I'm not sure anyone has ever tried that with a disc

I would think you would be able to spray a clear acrylic over the top, That should slow the fading quite a bit. There are a couple brands out in spray paint. However this will make your disc illegal for tournament play.

I use Krylon 1321 Matte Finish Spray on discs that I use paint or markers on. But like MOON said, adding any kind of layer to your discs with a spray will make it illegal to play with (unless you just play casually with friends..but there's also no telling what it will do to the flight path either)

the fading effect happens by the dye sinking deeper into the plastic so I dnt see how a clear coat would slow down the fading effect.

It has never prevented it from fading completely, but I'm not talking about dye. With markers or painting, the clear coat kind of seals the color before it grips into the plastic (I only use markers or paint on gummy plastic putters). If he's dyeing light colors, no spray or coating is going to stop it from fading.

I was just asking for my buddy. I figured it wouldnt be good. He lost it the first round he used it. So I dont think he has to worry about it fading anymore.

A good automotive wax will help keep it fresh. Just reapply every so often. It might make the plastic somewhat slippery though.

Latest posts