• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Codorus State Park - 4 courses or 2?

Do you consider Codorus State Park to have 2 courses or 4?

• Two

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Four

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i dont care

i dont really care what ya do man, i figured ya weren't gonna change anything to make it better so thats why i already deleted the scores out of my score book....do what you please, as thats what you were going to do anyways.

Says it on your own site.....

By the way, if you want your site to be pretty, why is this the description for the blue course? doesn't make much sense if their are only two courses. "Description: Three separate courses plus a mini disc golf course. Elevation and woods play a factor in all courses and the red course starts out near lake Marburg." doesn't even tell ya where the blue course is and its for the blue course description. That seems important if you want the site to be "pretty" .

By the way, if you want your site to be pretty, why is this the description for the blue course? doesn't make much sense if their are only two courses. "Description: Three separate courses plus a mini disc golf course. Elevation and woods play a factor in all courses and the red course starts out near lake Marburg." doesn't even tell ya where the blue course is and its for the blue course description. That seems important if you want the site to be "pretty" .

Obviously you do care and so do I. I wish I could please everyone but sometimes that just isn't possible. So far the locals (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/codorusdiscgolf/message/5497) are of the opinion that it is two courses and the few people on here that voted seem to be in favor of two courses.

Regarding the blue course description, when I split the course from one page on here to two (54 holes -> 2 x 27 holes) I just copied and pasted the original description without really reading it which is why it says 3 courses.

I'm trying to do what would be in the best interest of the site as a whole which is why I asked the locals and posted this thread. I'm sorry that you're upset but like I said, you can't please everyone all the time.

how many courses

I don't know cordorus but I just came back from playing Clyde Fant in Shreveport and it has a similar situation. There are 27 total holes there and you can play them as 1 course but most people don't. The extra 9 is seperated by a tunnel and is not lit for night play like the 1st 18. The holes are numbered 1-9 like a new course. When we played we went over and played the 9 hole course 3 times and then came back and played the 18 hole course 3 times. To get a 27 hole score I could match the 2 courses up but they were not played consecutively and I don't like that option. I would like to see them separated on the site so that score tracking would reflect what I actually played. Most people I see out there do not play it as 1 27 hole course.

Hmm.. well if I split that course up one could make the argument that Codorus should be split up as well as a bunch of other 27+ hole courses. I'm not sure how great that would be for the map and course listings.

Another option would be to create a "this is a complete round" checkbox in the scorebook so if you play 18 on a course with 27 baskets you can indicate that you consider that to be a complete round. Maybe I could only make that an option for courses with more than 18 holes.

It's a tough call. Splitting courses up would obviously be easier work wise for me but I'm not sure it's the best solution. People would probably understand that Clyde Fant and Clyde Fant West 9 are in the same park. But then places like Codorus blur the line between separate course and 27 hole course with the start positions of the extra holes.

Another option would be to create a "this is a complete round" checkbox in the scorebook so if you play 18 on a course with 27 baskets you can indicate that you consider that to be a complete round. Maybe I could only make that an option for courses with more than 18 holes.

I think this is what you should do if you can because than the course pages would be the way you want them, but then the score book wouldn't be affected like it is currently.

I'm confused. Wouldn't a "complete 18-hole round" mess up the average score on a 27-hole course? It wouldn't be accurate to normalize 18-hole rounds up to 27-holes or visa-versa....

In the Scorebook, why don't people just check the "Skipped" boxes on the holes they don't play?

I have a thought... perhaps on the hole information page, we can put an average score per hole, based on what we enter in the scorebooks. Then if people want an average round for... just literally whatever, they can just whip out the old calculator and do some simple addition.

You can also figure out "handicap" that way... (i.e. toughest hole, easiest hole, etc.)

What do you think?

I'm confused. Wouldn't a "complete 18-hole round" mess up the average score on a 27-hole course? It wouldn't be accurate to normalize 18-hole rounds up to 27-holes or visa-versa....

In the Scorebook, why don't people just check the "Skipped" boxes on the holes they don't play?

I would still calculate the overall average the same way but it would average differently into the course average and a best round would be recorded. It would pretty much just make things more confusing in an attempt to make everyone happy :) It's not really the best idea.

I think the main beef people have is that if you skip holes, it won't record that as your best round, etc.

I have a thought... perhaps on the hole information page, we can put an average score per hole, based on what we enter in the scorebooks. Then if people want an average round for... just literally whatever, they can just whip out the old calculator and do some simple addition.

You can also figure out "handicap" that way... (i.e. toughest hole, easiest hole, etc.)

What do you think?

The hole average thing has come up before. I just haven't had a chance to sit down and do it. You could make the same argument now though, people could whip out a calculator. I just don't think they want to.

Codorus St. Park

I am responsible for the "three seperate courses" plus the mini course there at Codorus St. Park. I am going to change the description if somebody else hasn't already done it. I would prefer if somebody who plays the courses more often to give both a better description of the courses and its beauty. I live too far away with $4 a gallon gas to go out that way myself. In fact, my opinion shoulf be three courses, not two or four. Each course can have its own 18 hole option to be more descriptive and list each seperate first tee, i.e. Red starts out by back lot near mini course, Blue course starts near first lot on right, black course by hole 12 (13, 14, not sure where?) and that will allow for more clarification and specifics of each course that may be too lengthy for one overall description. The mini course already has its own, I believe. Just my $.02.

I am in the process of working on some stuff to make course splitting make more sense. Any parks, etc. that have multiple courses on site will have a section above nearby courses called "Courses on site" or something to that effect. Courses less than .1 mile apart will show up in there.

At least that's the plan..

I would still calculate the overall average the same way but it would average differently into the course average and a best round would be recorded. It would pretty much just make things more confusing in an attempt to make everyone happy :) It's not really the best idea.
If you don't play all the holes on a course it should not count for any averages. Anytime you've skipped at least one hole, if you normalize that round to a full number of holes the result isn't accurate. The average doesn't know if you got rained out and skipped the last half or if you just decided to skip the hardest holes.

I think the main beef people have is that if you skip holes, it won't record that as your best round, etc.
Well if you skiped holes then it shouldn't count as your best round. IMO....

I am in the process of working on some stuff to make course splitting make more sense. Any parks, etc. that have multiple courses on site will have a section above nearby courses called "Courses on site" or something to that effect. Courses less than .1 mile apart will show up in there.

At least that's the plan..
Needs to be more than 0.1 mile. See Tom Bass park in Houston that has Powell and Wilmont courses in the same park, but are listed at 0.4 miles apart.

This is my 2 cents. I used to play this course consistently 3 or so years ago (Grew up in Hanover, moved to Harrisburg). I still occasionally play it, but not as often as I'd like. When I started, there was only one course, the blue course. They added the Red course later, and most recently the Xtra holes and Cross-country course. I usually stick to the blue course, it's usually open and less crowded (lot's of picnickers flank the red course).

My round is usually to start on hole 10 of the blue course and play through, occasionally crossing the street to the extra holes after hole 12, then meeting back up at hole 13 to finish out the round. So, 18 holes with 10-12, 1x-9x, 13-18. And I'll call it the day.

Conceivably, you could play 10-16, then cross the street for the extras, and come back to 17-18. or you could play 1-9, cross the street and play just 10-18, no extras. I'm just pointing out that the layout of the course could be construed as multiple layouts with up to 27 holes for the Blue course and 27 holes for the Red Course. But, in my eyes, I'll only see it as 2 courses; the Red and the Blue.

Maybe if Jay adds another 9 holes to the Xtra or the Cross-country, where you could start and finish 18 holes there, then I might consider it more than 2 courses.

I don't know if that adds anything to the conversation or not.

Latest posts