• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold weather Golf. HELP!

Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so after 5 winters I had an epiphany the other day. I'd been getting frustrated with the lack of distance in the cold air and then it occurred to me, less leaves on the trees and less small branches. So now the windows of opportunity are larger and with all the extra clothing, unsure footing, & cold air means your accuracy doesn't have to be so exacting.

I had this realization as well and it led to my decision to use my Condor only for the rest of the year. I figure, with less leaves there's less for it to hit with it's massive span, plus the mighty glide it has will help make up for the general lack of glide in cold weather. It doesn't hurt that it's bright orange and friggin huge (ie less likely to disappear under the snow) either! :p

Ive definitely noticed that discs don't travel as far in the cold, especially when you're playing in a foot of snow. It seems to me that soft plastic discs are more understablle in sub freezing temperatures.

Not fun: throwing a Fuse into a headwind when it's 10 degrees outside.

Fun: throwing a Fuse with a tailwind when it's 10 degrees outside.

Zippo hand warmer is essential. It was in the low 20s for this morning's round, and if you're prepared it isn't too bad.

I'm located towards northern MN. It would only make sense that drivers will lose distance in colder air as it is more dense then warmer air. In the same way water is more dense than steam. Cold hands equal bad releases. Cold muscles could also be a culprit as they don't perform as well. Invest in some warm layers including a wind proof one. One last thing, don't think of it as going backwards. Think of it as mid-range accuracy training.

dont expect much. try to keep your muscles relaxed. throw teebirds. wear warm, yet easily removeable gloves and nonrestrictive layers.

Played a few sub-15 degree (colder w/ wind chill) rounds this weekend. Was dressed pretty warmly, but had a few issues w/ release due to my cold hands/discs. Other than that, the footing wasn't as good (super icey) so my run-ups were affected. Wishing for warmer temps soon! (wish in one hand...#### in the other)

Played a gain today - cold, but little wind and even less snow.

Tomorrow is supposed to be upper 20s and sun. It's amazing what one considers a "great day to frolf" can change given the context of snow and wind :thmbup:

New Thought

I have been playing in MN winters for 5 plus years. There are a number of factors that change the stability of the disc in cold weather. A few have been mentioned in this thread already - cold affecting the stiffeness of the disc (more stable) and higher density of the air (increasing aerodynamic forces making the disc less stable and higher drag).

I have started to wonder if some of the loss of stability of the disc is due to the loss of spin rate at release. I noticed my release during cold weather was not the same as normal temps - like the disc was "slippery". Not sure if its the lower friction due to temp, the moisture on disc from snow, temperature affecting my grip or........ I did notice that some plastic types were a bigger challange to throw than others.

I have tried gloves, shammies towels, tighter grip (really messes up my form).

Anybody else notice this?

I never even thought to use on of those....Its been a mild winter so far in PA so havnt had much need for gloves but on the chance i would that would be much easier to use...**** it might even allow me to channel my inner Tom Brady and get my max D up to a mile and allow me to hit putts from 600ft, Ill take all the help I can get:hfive:

This is my first winter playing DG, and so far I really like the cold rounds!

I got a pair of Burton ski mittens for cheap at TJ Maxx. They are great to keep on the non-throwing hand, and are easy to put on and get off the throwing hand.

The coldest I've played in so far is probably mid-20s and snow. Even then, my hands got warm enough after 4 holes that I did not need gloves or mittens on either hand for the rest of the round.

Sometimes we'll relax the rules and play "hippy deuces" where we count any metal as done, and have a max of two shots per hole. Just count up the deuces to see how you did. It's fun and keeps you moving. :thmbup:

Sometimes we'll relax the rules and play "hippy deuces" where we count any metal as done, and have a max of two shots per hole. Just count up the deuces to see how you did. It's fun and keeps you moving. :thmbup:

Thats a cool idea would work nicely at my home course and its not very long and even the wooded shots are fairly open...if you dont hit metal do you just count it as a no score "0" kinda thing or some other number

I saw some people mention fingerless gloves, what type of gloves would people recommend if I wanted to go fingerless.

Forget the fingerless gloves. Get yourself a good warm pair of regular gloves or mittens. Leave it on your non-throwing hand. Between throws wear other glove or keep handwarmers in your pocket. In my mind after 5 winters in the great white north with and without gloves I've found any type of gloves including fingerless are worse than no gloves at all. You lose the "feel" especially for shots requiring a little more finesse.

I have been playing in MN winters for 5 plus years. There are a number of factors that change the stability of the disc in cold weather. A few have been mentioned in this thread already - cold affecting the stiffeness of the disc (more stable) and higher density of the air (increasing aerodynamic forces making the disc less stable and higher drag).

I have started to wonder if some of the loss of stability of the disc is due to the loss of spin rate at release. I noticed my release during cold weather was not the same as normal temps - like the disc was "slippery". Not sure if its the lower friction due to temp, the moisture on disc from snow, temperature affecting my grip or........ I did notice that some plastic types were a bigger challange to throw than others.

I have tried gloves, shammies towels, tighter grip (really messes up my form).

Anybody else notice this?

Definitely noticed this. During winter rounds, I actually slide by thumb towards the center of the flightplate for added grip. Works really well for me.

the biggest difference I have noticed is that most people wear more clothes in the winter. Try to lighten the load.

agreed. i recommend dropping some money on decent thermal base layer clothing. i have a few under armour shirts that are worth their weight in gold. they keep you super warm and allow you to shed a few extra layers.

agreed. i recommend dropping some money on decent thermal base layer clothing. i have a few under armour shirts that are worth their weight in gold. they keep you super warm and allow you to shed a few extra layers.

I live in CT so we are not dealing with such extreme temps as MN or AK, but it can still get pretty cold here.

Here is my complement of cold weather gear:

Quarterback Muff:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001H1Z9M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Champion Long Sleeve Cold Weather Compression:

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Weat...2-catcorr&keywords=champion+cold+weather+gear

EMS Men's Power Stretch Jacket:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3646552&cp=3712723.3716509.10980146.10849149

FYI...huge sale on the Men's Power Stretch...50%. THis jacket is amazing. YOu will not be disappointed. Flexibility is amazing

Latest posts