• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

My yellow PFN (can we say that yet?) ESP Comet is $$$. Hyzer release, flips flat and goes straight...so easy to throw. It's an oddball, it's pretty flat.

Yes haha and bah! Well not really, I'm a fan of flat haven't had much luck with finding ESP flat though... I got one.. Out of three... But it's a weird blend probably 2015ish second release I don't need to throw it cuz my glo Z is still around. Maybe it's a Z with weird awesome grip I can't remember I covet it too much to throw it.

I throw my MJ ESP Comet every chance I can. Love hitting a wooded fairway with it and puring the gap, or throwing that perfect turn over shot. I'm not a very confident (read: Capable) forehand thrower so I rely on turnovers a lot. Comet is it for me.

Yes haha and bah! Well not really, I'm a fan of flat haven't had much luck with finding ESP flat though... I got one.. Out of three... But it's a weird blend probably 2015ish second release I don't need to throw it cuz my glo Z is still around. Maybe it's a Z with weird awesome grip I can't remember I covet it too much to throw it.

I currently bag two ESP Comets, both PFN but they aren't limited runs...probably like a 2016-2017 run. Both are flat (almost a bit concave). The yellow is flippy and the pink one is pretty stable for a Comet. Great pairing.

I currently bag two ESP Comets, both PFN but they aren't limited runs...probably like a 2016-2017 run. Both are flat (almost a bit concave). The yellow is flippy and the pink one is pretty stable for a Comet. Great pairing.

I'm bagging an older white ESP that is fairly flat after the shoulder. I actually prefer the grip on the older ESP to the new swirly stuff.

Still waffling between the Wasp and Buzzz but the Comet should anchor my S/US mid slot for the foreseeable future. Throwing it for most of my mid shots these days.

I'm bagging an older white ESP that is fairly flat after the shoulder. I actually prefer the grip on the older ESP to the new swirly stuff.

Still waffling between the Wasp and Buzzz but the Comet should anchor my S/US mid slot for the foreseeable future. Throwing it for most of my mid shots these days.

I agree on the grip...I have a new 2018 ESP Comet and it flies...well like a Comet should but it's grip is pretty slick compared to my older ones...not sure if I'm converting full time to ESP Comets over Z...but I like what I've got so far.

Yeah I never thought the Buzzz would leave the bag but the Comet kept stealing shots from it.. I used Comet/Wasp for quite a while before I dropped the wasp finally, actually I think I lost it and didn't replace it..

I like discs that have been wiped and dyed.. I have one at home same era ESP as it's friends with a dye job and it's much grippier I assume from wiping the stamp.

Yeah I never thought the Buzzz would leave the bag but the Comet kept stealing shots from it.. I used Comet/Wasp for quite a while before I dropped the wasp finally, actually I think I lost it and didn't replace it..

I like discs that have been wiped and dyed.. I have one at home same era ESP as it's friends with a dye job and it's much grippier I assume from wiping the stamp.

For me...the only thing that the Buzzz does that I can't make a Comet do is a comfortable FH.

For joining my local league you are given either a glo buzzz or a glo comet. And I was leaning toward the Buzzz until reading this thread... I think I may choose the comet now. It would be a good compliment to my Roc, buzzz, and Mako3 lineup I already have.

Most people use the Mako3 as an Innova equivalent to the comet. Seems like there will be some overlap with your mids going on, but ultimately at the end of the day. Whatever works for ya!

For joining my local league you are given either a glo buzzz or a glo comet. And I was leaning toward the Buzzz until reading this thread... I think I may choose the comet now. It would be a good compliment to my Roc, buzzz, and Mako3 lineup I already have.

That's cool that they hand out a mid... if you already have a Buzzz then might as well try the Comet. I've only heard of the Mako3 I threw a regular Mako for a while but then I went back to Comets... there won't be any overlap when the Comet boots it out of your bag. :)

Wow, there is already very little breathing room in your mid-range setup. Where do you hope the Comet will fit? Understable duties?

I am not really getting what I want from the Mako3 so the Comet will replace that if it can give me more glide than the Champ Mako3 can. Also, I tend to like beads on my discs so this may also push it over the Mako3.

I haven't gotten too much time to assess my KC Pro Mako3s (never thrown any other Mako3s) but the Mako3 appears to have more overstability, slightly less glide, and likes lower lines.

If these are the changes you want to see, then the Comet will be a good fit for you.

Fwiw, HERE is the video from my first ever throws with the KC Pro Mako3s. There are no Comets in the video, but these are acting a bit Comet-y throughout the video. At some point in the future I will make a comparison video between the two molds. I can see carrying one or the other… I don't see a need for both.

I haven't gotten too much time to assess my KC Pro Mako3s (never thrown any other Mako3s) but the Mako3 appears to have more overstability, slightly less glide, and likes lower lines.

If these are the changes you want to see, then the Comet will be a good fit for you.

Yep very true.

I think the Mako3/Buzzz would overlap for me way more than either of those and the Comet. Use those for lower ceilings, tunnels, and a little bit of wind present. Comet will hold lines in the open, range better from powering up or down or throwing lower or higher, and be great at anhyzers. Also they bomb in tailwinds and downhill.

Try out the Comet, see if you like it. Basically if you want to throw your putter but need a little more distance/glide, the Comet is the choice. If the line is more like a fairway driver tunnel shot but not far enough to need one, then the Buzzz/Mako3 will work better.

However if your Roc is pretty beat up and straight, then it and the Comet will like a lot of the same shots.

Slowplastic knows his stuff, listen to him!

I believe the Mako3 was specifically aimed at Buzzz throwers. I have never thrown Champ or Star Mako3s but I believe these are Buzzzy... my KC Mako3s are closer to beefy, domey Z Comets than Buzzzes IMO.

Slowplastic knows his stuff, listen to him!

I believe the Mako3 was specifically aimed at Buzzz throwers. I have never thrown Champ or Star Mako3s but I believe these are Buzzzy... my KC Mako3s are closer to beefy, domey Z Comets than Buzzzes IMO.

And those Mako3s you have ahem probably have a sweet stamp and you are likely biased :). You have hurt the Comets feelings and should do some work to make amends.

The Comets always the right choice.

Last edited:
...you are likely biased :).
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I'm always biased!
To be perfectly honest, I think the Comets will best the Mako3s. I tend to like the old-skool lines where you adjust your distance through height. The newer generations of discs prefer faster, lower lines.

If I were competing for my livelihood, I'd probably throw faster overstable stuff like the rest of the pros. But I play for fun and mostly in the dense woods. So I throw whatever I like to watch fly through the air. Comets scratch that itch every time!

I feel like the Mako/Mako3 are in between the Buzzz and Comet. They can't take power quite like a Buzzz and need more height, but they aren't as glidey as a Comet.

I bought a couple of the Swirl glo MJ Comets. I tried to like them, but I just don't like ESP plastic. I lost my Z... not throwing it, I think it dropped out my bag somewhere...or someone stole it trying to handicap me.

I guess I am going to be Cometless for a while, at least until I can find another max weight super firm Z.

Latest posts