• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

1st run esp LE is the ticket, thems some soft ass discs!

(Sample size of one haha, sold to me by Matt from Snap discs after my lone ace at the provincials)

Flat/puddle generally means flippy with Comets. I've found or traded for several LE, don't know what run but one is pretty soft and flattish and it's flippy. I have a meatball stamp X that's almost puddle from use and it's flippy too.

Any way to tell what runs on the LE?

Flat/puddle generally means flippy with Comets. I've found or traded for several LE, don't know what run but one is pretty soft and flattish and it's flippy. I have a meatball stamp X that's almost puddle from use and it's flippy too.

Any way to tell what runs on the LE?

From the legend himself:

Didnt i explain this to u or was it someone else?might of been someone else but i remember having this conversation recently.

anywho,

1st runs - have tooling - chalky/tacky plastic - high shoulder - domey - kinda stiff
2nd runs - flatter- slicker/softer blend of esp - low shoulder- have tooling - most were not domey
3rd runs - domey and flat - soft blend esp - no tooling - high shoulder

I disagree with the soft blend ESP of the 3rd runs, but this is the best description of the runs written soon after the 3rd and last LE run was released. To also add to this, the yellow 3rd runs were more ZSP than ESP.

From the legend himself:

I disagree with the soft blend ESP of the 3rd runs, but this is the best description of the runs written soon after the 3rd and last LE run was released. To also add to this, the yellow 3rd runs were more ZSP than ESP.

Bang on mutha fu cka!!! The first runs really are special and oddly soft... and the yellow 3rds are their own kind of magic.. Probably what formed my yellow esp preference (flat top bit of shoulder). My 3rd run esp is a freak!!! Yellow, it's like grippy Z, good laser stability and improved grip, everything you thought a hybrid should be! It's like a glow Z slightly broken in with way better hand feel but the same magic flight.

Haha expanded version for ya!

My first run sounds like a second run but I know it's a first, I jumped on the second run, wait maybe I missed it, either way only kept the freak yellow. I traded a couple to someone, got a fission 143 photon first run.. Magic disc, took a tournament in masters (tied for open) with it. Worth it!!! (Maybe mild regret... nope worth it! I bought more MVP lightweight after that)

Last edited:
From the legend himself:

i forgot about that lol i actually picked up a esp comet not too long ago and was trying to dig deep in the memory bank about what run it could be, now i can find out :doh:.

im no legend but thanks :hfive:

Not so humble brag:

Played Steel Club (Hellertown, PA) for the first time Sunday and had a few incredible shots with the Comet. If anyone watched the recent tournament coverage the course has changed some but overall it's a very similar layout.

Parked a flat and open 375' hole (line of pines behind the basket) with an 18' MJ, very mild tailwind. Also threw the same disc 440'ish on a downhill, tee and basket along a line of trees on the left - right side of the fairway was open. Wasn't parked but was well within the circle. Enjoyed having 8 or so ball golfers watch it take a lifetime to land:) Ran the chains a few times from inside 200' elsewhere on the course - mostly with poor footing or brush getting in the way of what my normal putter throw would be.

Why did I wait all these years to throw bag the Comet? :wall:

I still have my 2 yellow 3R LE Comets. I will say they definitely formed my preference for what my perfect Comet should be. The '18 MJs are damn near identical in shape, which is why I stocked up on those.

Been trying to convince a friend of mine to bag Comets. He has pretty ridiculous angle and speed control, so a Comet would fit like a glove in his bag. He is very change resistant though - but I got him throwing Undertakers after him seeing me throw so many good shots with those, so it's not a lost cause.

I still have my 2 yellow 3R LE Comets. I will say they definitely formed my preference for what my perfect Comet should be. The '18 MJs are damn near identical in shape, which is why I stocked up on those.

Been trying to convince a friend of mine to bag Comets. He has pretty ridiculous angle and speed control, so a Comet would fit like a glove in his bag. He is very change resistant though - but I got him throwing Undertakers after him seeing me throw so many good shots with those, so it's not a lost cause.

I was such an anti-beaded midrange guy - I'm sure you could dig up countless posts of me in the past saying such. A Buzzz whore. Does your friend have an ultimate (or freestyle) background at all? Tell them to shut up and just throw the thing. I finally did, and, well, you see my above post(s).

DGCR made me throw a Comet about 10yrs ago and I'm grateful for it!!!!

All this talk about 3R yellow LE's makes me wish I'd picked up a couple ESP glows, I bet they feel and fly nice! I thought it was stupid they didn't glow though so I passed.

I was such an anti-beaded midrange guy - I'm sure you could dig up countless posts of me in the past saying such. A Buzzz whore. Does your friend have an ultimate (or freestyle) background at all? Tell them to shut up and just throw the thing. I finally did, and, well, you see my above post(s).

He played ultimate a lot before he got into disc golf.

He's going to throw one this winter, because I'm going to give him one and make him throw it :D

Ever since I came across this video on youtube, I've become obsessed with playing Comet only rounds. Just 2 Comets. My local course only has 2 maybe 3 holes 400+ ft so I'm not missing much by not having drivers. It's helped my over all game and taught me to disc down more often.

I'm curious what 2 comets everyone here would carry if they were to play a comet only round.

When I go out, I bring a beat 175 X and a newer stock stamp Z. I putt, approach and throw turnover shots with the X and the Z does most of the work off the tee and forehand flicks if I'm really in trouble.

Oooh good question! 172 yellow esp and a pink z 180g... but I have enjoyed 167 pop top Tye dye Z against a 176 esp or Z.

I'm curious what 2 comets everyone here would carry if they were to play a comet only round.

When I go out, I bring a beat 175 X and a newer stock stamp Z. I putt, approach and throw turnover shots with the X and the Z does most of the work off the tee and forehand flicks if I'm really in trouble.

Your choice is exactly what I'd choose for a 2 Comet round. I could swap an ESP LE in for the X but a have a sweet, flippy meatball stamp X that I paid $4 for.

Fresh Z and beat Z would be my choice.

If I could only throw one discs for the rest of forever, it would be a Z Comet. And honestly, my scores would not suffer much.

I took 3 Z Comets out the other day, 174g used, 178g and 180g new. The 180g is a puddle top and most OS.
I could see carrying two of these in my bag. The comparisons to the Cobra is correct, imo, but there's still something different.

Been rocking a domey 174 X and high shoulder to flat 178 or 179 MJ ESP (2019 I think?). Surprised myself with a few shots a week or two back, see post #3406.

I took 3 Z Comets out the other day, 174g used, 178g and 180g new. The 180g is a puddle top and most OS.
I could see carrying two of these in my bag. The comparisons to the Cobra is correct, imo, but there's still something different.

Long time Cobra thrower here, unsure of your history with them. To me the Comet has a hyzerflip to flat when worn/beat or not too much hyzer upon release, perhaps gently drifting right as well RHBH. The same amount of release angle on a similarly beat Cobra will not hold the "flat" part of that flight but rather will keep turning more...and fade more at the end. Less glide than the Comet but they are also faster so distance is negligible. Cobra is also the superior roller disc IMO:)

I bag both in a large bag, but recently with my Spider Monkey I've only been bringing Comets - they're still a relatively new mold to me (year or so?). I can manipulate both molds to give me similar results but the way they reach their landing zones are unique to one another.

Been a while since I've thrown an X Comet, they carried really well with some spin at low power. I lost my last one 2-3 years ago and have been throwing almost exclusively 174-180 Z's since, with a short dabble with a '19 MJ ESP. The MJ was really beefy, big time overlap with my middle stability Rocs.
I normally carry one 175-176 Z, but I guess if I had to pick a pair I'd go with a seasoned 173-174 Z and a fresh 177+. Preferably both domey.

Latest posts