• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
doublej said:
Spent some time in the field today with my Z and ESP Comet, both 173. For the life of me i cant get a straight throw, i'm nailing a late right turn though. I could also get some decent hyzers but just nothing straight, like i could get with say my mako. For those that throw the Comet regularly do you get a nice straight flight?

the late right turn - at least for me - means that I've put too much forward speed on it for the amount of spin on it to hold straight.

remember, the comet gets all of its distance from glide, it doesn't need to be thrown hard to go straight. stay smooth and trust that it will glide to where you're aiming.

Just recently got some Z Comets from Clearwater (Thanks Discspeed). Two blue 176g with fairly high dome/parting line height. OMG! These are sooooo money. I have been throwing the x-comets for the last few months with mixed results. After throwing the Z-comets I will keep the x comets in the bag for more hyzer-flip lines but for straight shots and slight anhyzers the Z comet is awesome.

Good: Shooting 1000+ rated round at Reedy Creek with just a Z-Comet and a Wizard. Z-Comet is money and putting is decent lately.

Bad: Drew the random chucker for a partner in leagues and missed first place by two strokes. Seriously, this guy could NOT lay up a 50 footer. ARGH!

Ugly: Losing brand new Z-Comet in the water at said course the second day of throwing it. Double ARGH!

victorb said:
the late right turn - at least for me - means that I've put too much forward speed on it for the amount of spin on it to hold straight.

remember, the comet gets all of its distance from glide, it doesn't need to be thrown hard to go straight. stay smooth and trust that it will glide to where you're aiming.

Thanks, really want to figure this disc out. the couple times i have hit it right by accident i have loved the result....want to do that consistently.

Well nice to see the comet lovers thread still chugging away!

I need to get myself a couple more of the new Z comets. I seem to be throwing the Z now more then I do my ESP (to bad I have a ton of extra ESP Comets :lol: )

I am the opposite of Gremlin...I need to get me a couple of ESP's. Been rocking my Z-comet quite a bit though as of late. Two Comets and two Buzzz's in the bag and I am set.

gremlin75 said:
Well nice to see the comet lovers thread still chugging away!

I need to get myself a couple more of the new Z comets. I seem to be throwing the Z now more then I do my ESP (to bad I have a ton of extra ESP Comets :lol: )

Where as I have a stack of z comets and no esp. We should work out a trade! I'm currently tossing x comets for anny's and I hear/ have seen others(victorb) throw some ridiculous anny's with esp's.

As for the slow right fade, I've only just started trying master that throw with comets. It's still a little iffy whether or not I get it turn when I want it to. It's brought me several deuces on holes where I would usually side arm a disc that is much to fast for the shot. Example: new placement on 12 from
the bottom tee at Oakland back course.

Coldpunk said:
Where as I have a stack of z comets and no esp. We should work out a trade! I'm currently tossing x comets for anny's and I hear/ have seen others(victorb) throw some ridiculous anny's with esp's.

I only have X and Z :) Been trying to get some ESPs but I have pretty much given up. X works just fine for low power turns for me.

I have some ESPs but have been carrying the X & Z combo instead. I tried carrying all 3 for a bit and found I had no real gap between X and Z.

NoLifeLeft said:
I have some ESPs but have been carrying the X & Z combo instead. I tried carrying all 3 for a bit and found I had no real gap between X and Z.

Did you mean "found I had no real gap between ESP and Z."

marmoset said:
NoLifeLeft said:

Did you mean "found I had no real gap between ESP and Z."

Nope. My transition from an X for low power straight and turnovers to Z for more power straight and fade shots made carrying my ESP a wasted bag slot for me.

Oh okay, I interpreted you as writing "there's no difference between X and Z."
That's where the confusion came in.
FWIW, I agree to a certain extent. But for the same reason some people carry TBs and EXs, I will carry my ESP along with X and Z; the ESP is really good at what it does.
I use X for stable to understable.
I use ESP for evenly stable over a wide range of speeds.
I use Z for stable to overstable unless I really get on 'er.

Without going through this whole thread, has anyone else noticed that the white ESP comets are less stable than others?

Frank Delicious said:
Without going through this whole thread, has anyone else noticed that the white ESP comets are less stable than others?

Yes. The white max weight one I had was about as stable as an 8/10 X-Comet.

victorb said:
Coldpunk said:

I only have X and Z :) Been trying to get some ESPs but I have pretty much given up. X works just fine for low power turns for me.

They sure do! Your comet throws are what made me try them in the first place. After watching you bomb that dyed striker on 18 the other day I'm going to have to give strikers a serious try too. Back to the topic, my x must just need some quality time with some trees. I have a 172 z that is far easier to throw an anny with.

I hate to admit this but............I have been using a Meteor for the last 3 tournaments and it has cut the Comet down to 25% of its usual throws. The TP I have is pretty straight and because of this it flies too inconsistent since I don't know when to Hyzerflip it into an Anhyzer using torque or when to turn it over a bit and it seems like either way I end up doing it the wrong way.

I took my really flippy 2 year old X one out for one tournament where I wouldn't use it much and just haven't put it back and right now I may swap it with the TP and see it can hold a spot for the Comet in the bag. Last week I also got in some sweet clear and Blue form Z's that feel great and may be what I am looking for.

The Meteor has a lighter "TP Green" tone and a silver stamp which was so pretty I had to try it out and I hate to admit I like it one 300ft holes more than a Comet because I can just throw it smooth and moderately low at 80% while the Comet was to height dependent at that speed. I was scared that the Meteor would even not flip up and over sometimes when I threw it a little off but It was surprisingly forgiving and mnetally I have had a rough time with my normally flawless Comet shot.

Then again I talk myself into bad shots anyway so it isn't just the disc but the Meteor is a solid choice for anyone although it doesn't have all the unique qualities of the Comet like fixing form and shaping technical holes.

Once you reach a certain power level, I don't think there's a lot of difference between the buzz, meteor, comet, etc. whatever you want to throw in to the pile of near 0 stability midrange drivers.

What I do find is that for folks hovering around 300' of distance, the comet will throw straighter (when thrown flat) and hold that longer with a softer fade than anything else and if you have elevation and get the nose down, it'll glide longer than any of the others.

It's sure not the only disc, but I'm finding that I enjoy throwing it and it's more effortless than some of the other discs that need to get up to a higher speed to perform.

I'd love to try an X, but my ESP is beat in so great right now, I imagine it's just like a more durable X. That new X plastic does feel great though. I think I have enough Comets to last the rest of my disc golf life. Not that I have a billion, just that I don't hit a ton of trees with them and when I do, it's usually a ways off and at low speed. They should last awhile.

Latest posts