• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet or Buzz

I've started giving this advice on picking a mid:

What do you love to throw? When you step up in the box, what do you want in your hand? Imagine what that disc looks like and feels like in your hand. Now, was the disc you were thinking about a driver? Throw a Buzzz. Was the disc you were thinking about a putter? Throw a Roc. Was the disc you were thinking about a mid? Throw that.

In this case you can substitute "Comet" for "Roc" and it still works.

I really like that way of thinking about it. I know my favorite discs to throw are putters, and I love my rocs.

I carry both, but soon that will probably change. They do have some overlap, especially since my Z buzzz is just starting to beat in, except the buzzz goes a bit farther and is more OAT tolerant (but can still be turned over a lot).

I will probably be dropping the buzzz for the roc soon (unless I don't like it) and keeping the comet around until my roc beats in to its spot (which will take awhile).

I find the z buzz errs on the side of overstable, and so does the champ roc +. I find the star mako errs on the side of understable, and the dx rancho roc is more in the middle. I'm carrying all three right now. I found the z comet to be fairly overstable, but the x comet is more like the mako or stingray. That's just my impressions. I don't know how long it takes to beat a roc in to understable, but Blake T reportedly says the mako, out of the box, flies like a 6 month old roc. To me, the mako is a shorter leopard, and a longer no bead aviar. I used to find the bixx to be way overstable, but I threw it again recently and it seems just slightly more stable than a dx roc. I haven't thrown a z comet in a while.

Last edited:
If you're looking for stabilty the buzz has a little more. The thing about the comet though, is that once you learn it, it can almost do what the buzz can(other than mabye distance). And you have to work to get the buzz to do what the comet can (especially big annhyzers). Both great discs, and there's no harm at all having both in the bag. One thing about the comet though, is it is more tempermental until you get the hang of it. I know people that have bought a comet and hated it because they did'nt take the time to learn it. If you can be patient and figure it out, it's gold.

Comet is nothing like the Mako. The Comet will hold any line you put on it, it is a very versitile disc.

Go back and read rube, I didn't say they were the same. I said I've never thrown a comet so how would I make that assertion?

I was commenting on a previous post which described the comet as slower and in need of height to work; the mako in that sense is the same. The mako is a great shot shaping disc for straight, low fade or left to right shots and in those areas it will hold the line you put it on.

I presently mostly prefer discs that don't hold any line I put on them. I like discs that have a more predictable flight. I even left my roc out of the bag at the last tournament and scored 100+ pointshigher than my rating, winning my division. Throwing those discs seems like trying to walk a tightrope, and inevitably falling off on one side or the other. I know I'll get there eventually, but it's nice for now to be able to turn to a set of discs and select one that errs on whichever side the hole accomodates.

I throw both. Although I have thrown many buzzz's and only 1 comet. I really like BOTH. BUT, if I had to choose, I'd say Buzzz.

When it held in my hand it feels natural, comfortable, and controllable.

So BUZZZ;)

truth

Why are people commenting on this thread when they start with

"well I've never thrown a comet. OR I don't really like the Buzzz"

this is asking Which one. SO, yeah I throw both.

I love both.

Comet
PROS: -Easily bends over to become understable....So a straight shot will bend a little understable but end up being straight.
- Great for wooded courses. It has lot of glide and can be shaped easily to go straight, then understable, just by the torque or angle of the disc.

CON: - On windy days the glide turns into a nightmare and can carry it away from your target, especially with the tendency of going understable.
- Wide rimmed, sometimes is more likely to get hit by things, harder to thread through gaps.

Buzzz
PROS: - Handles a snap. Flies far straight, small predictable fade at the end of flight. Trusty

- It can be lasered through gaps and can be thrown like a fairway driver

- It can be thrown on hyzer or anhyzer and does nicely
- Fits good in the hand

CONS: - Sometimes it can be toooo fast and you may overshoot your target, so using a shorter mid or putter may be the option
- On an Anhyzer, sometimes it may come out early and hyzer out. comes down to personal control.

OK, that's my take in comparing both to each other.

If I HAD to choose...I'd go Buzzz. But I will always roll with both....Or a Meteor. I love DISCRAFT. and innova of course:hfive:

carry both, add a wasp for the very overstable slot, and that's all the midranges you'll ever need.

i would go buzzz, tho im not a weathered comet thrower. buzzz does everything the comet will do +. the comet is overshadowed in my bag by other discs like my cros, naturally, and my buzz picks up the trash.

i started roc... went to comet but had problems in the wind... now i throw a buzz and keep a wasp for headwind....

I wonder how you hyzer flip a buzzz. It must be beat in as hell or you must be the oat monster.

i sidearm flick overstables like my FB or monster for mid fairway upshots to the right for controlled and reliable results but i could also backhand my rpro cro, as stated, my roc or buzzz for the same matter. i dont even know what OAT means but my buzzz has a distinct purpose of straight/ flat tee/fairway throws up to 250-300. upshots are my strong point.. short game kills.

I carry Comet, Buzzz, Wasp, and Gator for my fareway mids. They all have a unique quality that suits differnt sitiuations. I also carry a 177 Glow Stalker for longer mid range shots and a Squall for my "Oh sh!t what am I gonna throw here?" type shot and for shorter hyzer skips.

Point being, try them all and carry what works for you.

Read through the last four pages, and I'd like to offer my take ...

I adhere to the following: Gateway putters, Discraft mid-range, Innova drivers. That said, I've found that a combination of Z buzzzes (1 worn, 1 new-ish, 1 brand new) can cover most any "mid-range" shot off the tee that requires a consistent finish.

I've found (for me) that the best understable mid-range is an ESP Meteor. The plastic is grippy and consistent, and they start out neutral, and with nominal usage begin to beat in and turn over. But the turn is very consistent unlike a beat pro D buzzz where you have no idea when the flip will occur. The best part about the Meteor is that it feels like a Buzzz in your hand, with just some minor variations.

I own a few comets, and honestly haven't given them the practice they deserve, but I think a Buzzz/Meteor combo will get just about any shot done. And if the wind is up, including a Wasp or Hornet would make sense.

It may have been mentioned already, or you may have conjectured it yourself, but the Buzzz is more likely to skip on harder ground than the Comet due to the speed. Another possible reason to carry both.

I'm looking for a relatively stable mid-range disc ad I've come down to these two. Can I get a little help on my decision? :)

If you are looking for "relatively stable" the answer is the Buzzz. If your looking for dead straight lines with little fade, you want a Comet, if thrown properly. The Buzzz can do that as well but requires more power. But you should really try both. They are both solid discs.

I just put in a disc order which should arrive on monday. I already carry a Z Buzzz, Z Wasp, and ESP Meteor. I've been curious about the comet for such a long time so I included one in my order. After I've given it a test drive, I'll report my experiences here.

As previous posters have mentioned, the Wasp is great for the wind and for throwing long straight shots. If flexed slightly, they will fly a straight line with hardly any fade but they require a bit more speed to achieve the same distance than a buzzz.

As another astute player posted, you can throw all these middies straight and choose which predictable attribute you want for erring on the side of caution. We have a wooded course nearby that give you fairways along the top of a ridgeline with a steep drop off to one side or the other. So I know I'm pulling out a mid but the finer points of the disc are what makes or breaks shot. If the dropoff is along the Left side, I don't want to fade out that way so I'll grab my meteor and release it straight down the left side of the fairway with some hyzer and watch it flip up and just a tad to the anyhyzer. Then it will usually hold that line drawing right about 8-15 feet. Keep it low enough and if it comes out and does an S curve, it will land in the fairway. If it holds the line, It usually lands on the right side of the fairway. The point is I don't have to worry about it fading down the side of the hill.

If the drop off is on the right, I'll use my wasp or buzzz and throw a laser beam down the right center of the fairway. Any fade will take me away from danger. The Buzzz I use more like a fairway driver and for putting through windows in the branches of a protected basket. If I have an open hole with a wooded backdrop, I'll huck my Buzzz if I overshoot, I usually get stopped favorably and have a chance. My Buzzz however has been starting to act a hint understable and will hold some nice mild anny lines like people are describing for the comet. I can't hyzer flip my buzzz though and forget about flexing it. It never comes out of anny unless it's barely creeping right and you've got enough distance and height for the disc to slow down. Then it'll do a subtle S-curve but I think it's just that my disc is beat in. (Had it about a year and used it a lot in rounds and practice.)

DH

I don't understand the buzz,I found a brand new EsP today I throw a roc 3 I thought ,O this to be nice....but I just hated the way it felt...I hated the way throw so I put on a picnic table for somebody else ..not sure why..big bead...lame throws..I throw an aviar farther and dead straight...300

I don't understand the buzz,I found a brand new EsP today I throw a roc 3 I thought ,O this to be nice....but I just hated the way it felt...I hated the way throw so I put on a picnic table for somebody else ..not sure why..big bead...lame throws..I throw an aviar farther and dead straight...300

Are you sure it was a buzz? They don't have beads.
I always feel like I have to buy mine in store since I like flatter shaped esp buzzes as opposed to those with some dome.
There were rocs everywhere when I first started throwing, but they never felt right in the hand. Different strokes for different folks. Throw what you know.

Latest posts