• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet question

You could try a atlas. Pretty neutral. I have a Tursas and it's a solid under stable mid. I enjoy practicing with it when I break out my box of no name pond discs.

buzzz ss maybe? i've seasoned a z into comet-like lines, but it has no way near the glide of course.

Innova guy, and don't throw a roc or gator? Anyway,I used to hate the feel also. But when I started to work on hitting 300 with mids, I discovered the roc. Same feel, but got over it by focussing on getting the flight and distance I was looking for. Don't even notice it any more. Buy the way, my 180g comment was first mid I was able to break 300 with due to its ridiculous glide. Comments power down nicely for threading the gap with a easy and controlled pull. Rocs, comets, and now the claymore are great mids that everyone should give a try. I am digging the claymore right now. Has more turn than a comet, but not too flippy.

Last edited:
I have a big arm so flipping things isn't the problem. Maybe I'll just use it more once it gets warm out.

it will be well worth it in the long run to learn to throw it, I promise. if you're still not liking the bead after the weather gets warmer, I'd maybe recommend a mako. there really isn't anything out there like a comet though, it's probably the most 'true neutral' disc on the market, even with all the options out there today.

a flying squirrel is a comet without a bead
This.
Fuse. Tursas is more us, meteor is much faster. heavy Opto fuse IMO for more neutral, gl for more neutral. Though I threw fuses a while ago so maybe that stability difference between plastics is gone.
That's my experience as well. I don't see why the stability difference would change much, their plastics haven't gone through much change.

Opto>GL>RGL>TM from OS to US in my experience.

M4 is pretty close stability and diameter wise. Less glide compared to the comet but feels better in the hand having no bead.

Fuse is a good option,but feels like a bigger disc.

Stratus is a good option too,but a tick faster and feels smaller in the hand.

Truth be told a Comet is the best disc to fix form issues. Try this little test for fun. For a week straight throw nothing but a Comet as your driver. It will be tough at first because you will be aching to throw faster plastic. After you do this go back to throwing your other plastic. You will be shocked at how much better your throws with your other plastic will be. I still do this when I feel a little off on my throws.

I've got people in the past do this and they have thanked me later when they see me on the course.

Fuse is a good option,but feels like a bigger disc.

Stratus is a good option too,but a tick faster and feels smaller in the hand.

Truth be told a Comet is the best disc to fix form issues. Try this little test for fun. For a week straight throw nothing but a Comet as your driver. It will be tough at first because you will be aching to throw faster plastic. After you do this go back to throwing your other plastic. You will be shocked at how much better your throws with your other plastic will be. I still do this when I feel a little off on my throws.

I've got people in the past do this and they have thanked me later when they see me on the course.

I'll give this a whirl on all holes under 250' my form is fine for the time being. Now putting that's a whole different animal.

I used to play very erratic and someone gave me the advice to find a putter and mid that feels good and go play until the mid is going to ~300' and the putter to ~250 (ironically a lot of the courses I play are usually <400' per hole). I chose the buzzz and wizard for this and then started buying a ton of discs to fit the holes I learned I had. I even bought a wasp, comet and meteor and only kept the wasp and hated the comet. This was all 4 years ago. Since then, I have sold all my discs except for the ones I like and their backups but recently added the comet and meteor back. I realize I hated the comet because I didn't know how to throw it and thought it was a bad disc. (oh my naivety). I even did the whole "beat-in-4-rocs" method but here is why I love discraft more:

I feel like their mids are off-the-shelf ready to throw. i.e. if I lose my buzz I know I can go buy another and get right back to how it was (elite-z). Nothing against other mids, I know there are great brands out there but a lot of the innova mids, for me at least, required breaking in.

I say this mostly because I play from my mids on just about every course. The only time I pull a driver out is for 300'+ shots or for certain power-down technical shots. Then again there is the wasp, hornet and drone for some of those overstable duties but I digress. The bottom line is this: I carry a Z-Wasp, Big-Z Buzzz, ESP comet, and ESP meteor. I like to use the wasp, buzzz, and meteor for my main mid duties but the comet comes out for approach shots or tough shots where I don't have a lot of room to throw (the glide). Also, if I disc down to 2-3 discs, I like the wasp-comet-wizard combo. I prefer my buzzz as the neutral mid and love how it throws, so sometimes it is not always the comet. But the comet really works on a lot of lines and has so much glide that it is hard to not use it. For me, it tends to be a much more technical disc whereas I'll drive a lot more with the buzzz.

SOrry for the story, not much sleep last night and I have been going over my mids all yesterday wondering about this very issue..

I know you said you weren't impressed by Innova's offerings in this role, but have you tried a Champion Panther?

I haven't tried a Comet only because I haven't found one in anything other than "D" plastic. I have thrown the Meteor and a Fuse, but I think the Panther is more predictable. I personally don't like stable/understable mids with a lot of glide, makes it too hard to judge distance.

Sorry, I'll no longer buy discs on line. I'm batting 50% on received discs. Wrong feel, dome, PLH. Not worth the aggravation and disapointment.

I usually will call them and ask them to describe a specific disc that's available before I buy. They do a good job of describing dome level to me.

I usually will call them and ask them to describe a specific disc that's available before I buy. They do a good job of describing dome level to me.

Yep - or you can post in the ask DGC thread on here and wade will respond as well.