• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Compiling board posts into a coherent article

Sorry about the rush job on this but the article needed to be edited anyway right?

Wrist max bend back position> The wrist starts to open incidentally after the elbow is retarding when getting near straight. This is the time you wanna resist the straightening of the wrist to hand shaking position. That plays with loading the tendons plyometrically. Once the wrist can't fight at all against the incidental opening caused by body positions and prior body motions you want to add to the wrist opening speed actively. Then you retard the wrist again when you wanna hit. So it's resist, add to actively and resist the wrist extension. The final resisting of the wrist opening launches the disc pivot. When you need to give your full effort to pinch on to the disc. Before this you want to keep the grip very very mild almost dropping the disc light. There should be no tensioning up of the muscles compared to not having a disc in your hand arm hanging limp.The first resisting times the onset of the wrist opening late enough to make the wrist snap occur as fast as possible giving the greatest speed and spin addition to the disc. Active opening needs to be super fast and short only a few inches of wrist movement. The wrist should be down from hand shaking position at the latest during the hit. When it should start getting down depends on the muscle strength, limberness and ability of the thrower to keep the muscles loose for added arm speed. The later you can push the wrist down consistently keeping the muscles loose the more powerful the wrist down motion is. That is needed for countering the tendency of the wrist muscles to raise the wrist during opening. The wrist is easier to keep down anywhere else than wrist straight. I've tried to use grippers with a wrist neutral and wrist down at hand shaking position and wrist down is horrible! You need hugely more power there and the muscles tension up noticeably more. Ideally you'd want to avoid that by opening the wrist right of hand shaking position and pushing the wrist down only after the wrist is past the hand shaking position. The timing is tricky indeed and that may be impossible to learn for most so don't pop a vessel if that's too difficult to achieve. Solution number true is brute force muscle training.

Is there still a need for a writer? I'm a studying poetry major but I have lots of academic and technical writing experience because of the profuse amounts of analysis papers I have to write. I have some handle on technical science language, but mostly in chemistry. In short, I'd be glad to help out if necessary. I imagine I could learn a thing or two in the process, also.

EDIT: Haha! I just realized that I'm posting 6 months after the last post. Oh well, my offer still stands!

I'm not sure if this will help with putting together a "coherent article." I cut and pasted the tips, videos and comments that were most relevant to me as I went along reading about the right pec drill, etc. And I made this for my reference and for my friends. Couldn't figure out how to add an attachment to this, so I uploaded it to my website. Here's the link:
http://ripsychotherapy.com/pdf/RightPecDrill.pdf

That is a great compilation Mike, thanks for the work on this. I'm already reviewing it and find this a good platform to build from for future additions.

discraft said:
Rough draft
Slip vs Rip The point of contact and the drive

98% of disc golfers have slip on nearly all of their drives...
Remember that this feeling is part of a process. at first you feel the disc pulling against the fingers, the second stage in the process is to feel the fingers pulling back against the disc and slinging it forward. The lock leaves during the pivot and the last thing you should feel is a slingshot off the index finger.

Discraft, thanks for the draft. That was good enough for me to have an aha moment. The index finger pulling the disc forward like a slingshot, similar to how the disc shoots off my finger on a forehand throw. This piece of the puzzle will definitely help me.

what ever happened to this? I know this thread is old but I've been lurking for a few months and compiling my own notebook of helpful posts. Wondering if this got anywhere or should i share my clippings?

I've sometimes thought of doing something like a primer needing to type out the same stuff over and over again but hearing that masterbeato planned a DVD...

ahh I must have missed that. Is it still happening? I'm spending far too much time trying to read as much as possible in hopes i can figure it out!