• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complaining About Facebook Auctions MEGATHREAD!!!

Seeing an ordinary purple eraser wizard sell for $20 is what got me. Especially since I own one.. and paid $5 for it out of the PIAS used bin. I have yet to actually win an auction, because I stop bidding once I feel its gotten past what it should be sold for.... but the things that were getting out of hand were the mystery auctions. People werw paying $200+ just in hopes that there would be 1-2 really good discs in there. Then they find out that the mystery proto stamped disc was a Groove or something awesome like that and they get mad cause they just paid $250 for stock plastic they could of picked up for a lot less.. while the seller is just sitting back with a smile

Those mystery auctions were stopped for the reasons you give.

You must have missed that part.

They were stopped a week ago, not exactly old news

I think it was bit longer than that, but you could take a screen shot of the announcement showing the date, that would confirm it. :)
And the fact they were stopped was left out of the post I quoted.

Interestingly enough, I can't seem to find the Dollar Disc Golf Auctions Group at all right now. I definitely saw an admin post on that site within the last two weeks, saying that they had ended the mystery auctions. FWIW, Free Disc Golf Auctions and Disc Golf Thrower Exchange still allow them.

To me the worst part about these sites is trying to find something you actually want. There is no search feature, and no organization of any kind. The prices seem high, but that is what people are willing to pay. I usually spend my money with Dynamic, DN, Marshall Street, etc.

^well if you are used to purchasing discs from Marshall Street then you are used to paying too much, their shipping prices are astronomical.

Ebay is not much better. Here is a clear production Roc3 for 149.00 or best offer. Plus $3.00 for shipping. WTF!!!! How about 13.99. Plus shipping.

Sadly with McBeth winning again this disc may be worth this in 5-7 years IMHO.
Innova will be producing 2X Roc3's now.....

Sadly with McBeth winning again this disc may be worth this in 5-7 years IMHO.
Innova will be producing 2X Roc3's now.....
Those 2X Roc3s will only be that valuable in the future if they are exceptional discs. Not all the KC Rocs are worth the same as the 8X and 10X KC Rocs are. The reason is because those two runs were exceptional throwers.

So hopefully Innova will think about that and make an even better run of Rocs than the Roc3s. And I really like my star stamp Roc3, it has the scars to prove it. :)

^well if you are used to purchasing discs from Marshall Street then you are used to paying too much, their shipping prices are astronomical.
They ship free over $50, and a flat $6.99 under that. I'd hardly call that astronomical.

I understand supply & demand. What I do NOT understand is why people on Facebook are paying top dollar for discs they could get anywhere for regular price new... I too have seen current run production plastic in the Facebook disc pages marked up like it was the last one on earth. For discs I can walk into DN or discgolfcenter and buy at retail price.

They ship free over $50, and a flat $6.99 under that. I'd hardly call that astronomical.

It's disc golf. Making money is theft in most peoples mind.

Facebook is a market system and works astonishingly well. The most sought after discs are ones that people want to own and throw. USDGC Rocs are going for next to nothing while Destroyers, etc prices are rising. If that Wizard goes for 20 you'd be crazy not to sell it. I've gotten great deals on discs from Facebook, much better than I have in the marketplace. When there is something going for an insane amount of money it's simple I don't bid for it.

I understand supply & demand. What I do NOT understand is why people on Facebook are paying top dollar for discs they could get anywhere for regular price new... I too have seen current run production plastic in the Facebook disc pages marked up like it was the last one on earth. For discs I can walk into DN or discgolfcenter and buy at retail price.

I don't know anything about Prodigy stuff so those are the only ones that I see go for crazy prices and those are just the touring pros selling them. I just got E* Destroyers for 13 a piece shipped off Facebook. I'm more than satisfied with my purchases off Dollar Disc Golf and the values that I paid. The ones you see are probably a cool stamp, or rare run. I don't see anything obscene on there except for the touring pros discs who IMHO might have friends shadow bidding them up.

Facebook is a market system and works astonishingly well. The most sought after discs are ones that people want to own and throw. USDGC Rocs are going for next to nothing while Destroyers, etc prices are rising. If that Wizard goes for 20 you'd be crazy not to sell it. I've gotten great deals on discs from Facebook, much better than I have in the marketplace. When there is something going for an insane amount of money it's simple I don't bid for it.

This is true, making money is seen as theft by a lot of golfers on here. Then in the next thread they want the sport to grow and the pros to make more money. :wall:

:clap: exactly if its a ridiculous price just sit back and watch the doofus pay top dollar for the proto Groove.

considering that I get free shipping for all my orders from dgc and 10% off for loyalty discount, then yes, Marshall Street is raping people on shipping charges. Their disc prices are not bad but the $7 to ship under $50 is ridiculous imo.

:clap: exactly if its a ridiculous price just sit back and watch the doofus pay top dollar for the proto Groove.

Not sure what it ended at, but a blueberry Groove went for something like $70-$90 on there.

Great place to pick up throwers for dirt cheap though.

considering that I get free shipping for all my orders from dgc and 10% off for loyalty discount, then yes, Marshall Street is raping people on shipping charges. Their disc prices are not bad but the $7 to ship under $50 is ridiculous imo.

I believe you can call them and request cheaper shipping for one-disc orders (it's like$3). I actually got them to ship two discs for under $4, but I suspect that was a mistake on their part. Two discs should have easily bumped them into the more expensive shipping method.

The idea is to get people to buy at least $50. Some other places set a similar limit at $75 or $100. Just because one outfit has an outstanding deal does not mean competitors who's deal isn't as good are "raping people".

What I've found with DGC's "free" shipping is that they'll use the cheapest method to get it where it needs to go. When you don't live near their base in Florida, it takes awhile to do that.

DGC shipping is slow as molasses (FedEx). MST is very fast(USPS). If' you're buying over 50 bucks it's a no brainer.