• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Concrete pads in Massachusetts

Waddly Hobbins

Eagle Member
I'm currently visiting MA for a week and I was looking at courses to play at. I found one close to me and played and reviewed it. In my review I marked down the course for it's lack of cement pads and subsequent dangerous footing on the tees.

Later, looking at all the course listings, I sorted by tee type and only one, again ONE, course had cement tees in all of Massachusetts!!

Is there something I don't know about this state that prevents cement tees from being laid down? I know that some of the courses are on existing trail systems, is that the reason? If anything the often uneven footing of hilly Massachusetts would benefit from a level surface in which to tee off from. I noticed some courses have rubber pads, but most are all natural.

I'm coming from Minnesota where most courses either have cement pads or are going to recieve them soon.
Run-ups in MA are either not used much in MA or are very carefully executed.

Looking for insight into this.

a lot of the courses have rubber tees, Barre, Pyramids, and Maple Hill to name a few. Tully Lake is slowly putting them in and is halfway done i think, but the teepads are costing over $1,000 each for materials and labor!

$1,000 each?

Quoted from Disc Golf Association's website:

Tee Pad Prices:
Concrete (Approximately 34, 60 lb. bags): $68.00 x 18 = $1,224.00

Forms: $12.00 x 18 = $216.00

Total Tee Pad Costs: $1,440.00

(Each concrete pad is approximately 5 feet wide by 10 feet long and 4 inches thick.)

$1000 each seems a bit much to me. I know with labor costs it would be a little more than the 1.5k but I've talked with people that have actually installed the courses and they have put in fully furnished 18 hole courses for under 6k.

I had a sponsor, Attorney Tim Campbell, donate $6000 for all 18 concrete Tee Pads which were put in by Virgill Mead Concrete in Rock Spring Park, Alton, IL. They also used a red dye that mixed in with the concrete to give it a more natural clay, brick look. The dye was by request of the Park.