• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cops at the Course?

jamsisjams

Double Eagle Member
Does anyone else have to deal with cops every time they go to a course?

The closest course to my house always has cops hanging out. It just so happens that the parking lot for the course is right next to a busy street, so, perhaps, dg isn't the foremost thing in their mind. Yet every time I play, there's one hanging out by the first/last hole, one by the third hole and even sometimes by the thirteenth hole.

I went to a course in Raleigh, NC and at 8:30 in the morning there were two cops parked in the lot, shooting the s**t and drinking their coffee.

It's not a big deal for me to have to play around cops but I feel like they hang around b/c of the "stoner" aura that surrounds disc golf. It kind of irritates me, sometimes.

there's often a cop parked on the corner of our course in Richmond, VA as well, although I don't think it's the players, I think it's just a great little hidey hole to catch speeders. They can't see him until it's too late and he can just zip across the intersection.

It does make some of the folks carrying beer a little nervous though.

black udder said:

I am sure they aren't worried about beer. If it is against the rules of the park to drink beer, simple don't do it.

We don't really have a lot of police hang out at our park or anything, unless to catch people speeding through. The speed limit through the park is 15 mph, and it isn't unusual to see someone trying to be a badass and go 40+. I've almost been hit before crossing the road and some jackass speeding through doesn't have time to see far enough ahead to slow down.

It is a real problem here and sometimes welcome seeing the police sit and try to catch these assholes. They speed through the playground area too; I just hope someones kid doesn't get hit.

I see park rangers but rarely cops.

It could be their little hangout. Many of our "public servants" find parks a nice place to pass the time. Not all cops are itchin to bust someone. Many just want a peaceful place to eat their donuts and read the paper. That's not to say if you do something illegal in plain view that they won't put the donut down for a minute to do their jobs. If you're not breaking the law then you shouldn't feel nervous. Make eye contact, smile and wave at them and then go on with your round.

Smitty said:
black udder said:

I am sure they aren't worried about beer. If it is against the rules of the park to drink beer, simple don't do it.

That actually have busted a few folks. I think it's illegal to have beer in the park.

lol - that's funny "simply don't do it." <see My First Tournament thread>

Two of the courses in IC are in a federal park (I thought it was a state park, but was corrected earlier in the week), so I see park rangers (tree fuzz!) driving though 2-3 times a day. There's also sheriffs who patrol the roads around the area, probably looking for wasted college kids coming from the courses. Our newest course is on city land, and I see a cop circle though the parking lost a few times a day, but never seen him get out of their car.

jamsisjams said:
I went to a course in Raleigh, NC and at 8:30 in the morning there were two cops parked in the lot, shooting the s**t and drinking their coffee.

It's not a big deal for me to have to play around cops but I feel like they hang around b/c of the "stoner" aura that surrounds disc golf. It kind of irritates me, sometimes.

A. Disc golf courses are typically in parks. Cops like parks too? Crazy!!!

B. Are you a stoner? If not, you have nothing to worry about.

It would not bother me at all if cops were in the parking lot. Keeps people from breaking in to my car and stealing shit.

yah cops just stroll through riverbends in michigan ( my home course) rarely ever will they stop unless they are busting people because they drink and damage shit, or taking a piss. But at the other park I usually play once a week the rangers roll through the fairway on you because casuals F#$% SH#T up for us. RESULTS: 24 brand new beautiful tee signs broken in pieces.

The good thing about REAL disc golfers is when WE catch the casuals we can set them straight( DDT,Beatdown, chasedown ect...), or at least thats how we do it around here. If you damage our parks its like disrespecting us directly...

in ft. myers we sometimes have cops patrol the area from their car, but simply mind your manners in front of them and your fine.

that would suck to have rec players breaking down the course. if you get that pissed dont play. i took about 6 months off from dg when i first started years ago because i would get so pissed when flukey things would happen in the round or if i would just plain blow a shot (did this ALOT). bottom line, dg is meant to be played and enjoyed. the nature that we have the opportunity to recreate in should be cherished, and the course should be cared for by all those whom enjoy them.

I went to play Waterworks in Des Moines on Monday, and entered through the main entrance. I got pulled over by what I presumed was a security officer, but as he approached my car, he looked like he had more authority than I thought. Anyways, he claimed I was going 3 times over the speed limit, which is 15mph, and there was no way I was going over 20. He told me that I was being an *sshole and inconsiderate of others using the park. After looking at my license, he kicked me out of the park. I was pretty upset as I play the course quite often since it is close, and usually bring an empty grocery bag with me to pick up all the beer bottles and cans that litter that course. I try to be as respectable as I possibly can, did not feel I deserved to be treated like that, but I cooperated and left.

My buddy and I played a round this afternoon, and the last 5 teepads were completely covered with broken glass beer bottles. We cleaned them off the best we could so other players didn't have to mess with it. Such a disgrace. I realize they can't patrol everywhere all the time, but I'd like to know where they were when somebody was smashing bottles all over the place. Better yet, I don't know why they can't set up a few trash barrels around the course either. Sorry for the rant, hope this isn't a threadjack.

I've seen park rangers on four wheelers w/ binoculurs at Hudson Mills in Dexter MI. On the Original and Monster courses. I've also noticed a Northville cop with binoculurs at Cass Benton.

I see park rangers and police at every park I go to. Even the ones without disc golf. Unfortunately parks and forest preserves attract the bad along with the good. I go out on mountain biking trails, I see cops in the parking lot. I ride the paved trails, I see cops on the trails. I go to the forest preserve where I practice in the woods, I see cops. I go to the local football field to throw for D, I see cops.

I'm with Bradley, these places are isolated and you can't see your car from many, if any, parts of a good course. I'm glad they are there as I like my car and the stuff in it.

For the most part the cops don't bother me either way. At Grand Woods ( home course) we rarely if ever see a cop in the park, yet the vandalism and such is pretty low. The only thing that ticks me off, is when one of the cops is trying to make a name for themselves around the park, and that has happened a few times. For the most part they are acting out every sterotypical "badcop" trait. Countless times I have seen them making people empty out their ciggerette packs to make sure they are actully ciggs, making you take the cap off your drink to make sure no alch is in there. On one occasion they searched a friend of mine and found a pack of rolling papers and a bag of tobacco ( he rolls his own), the cop took his rolling papers and threatened to give him a ticket for paraphernalia .

I won't even count the times a cop or sheriff has been walking down the middle of the fairway as we are throwing.

Hmm on second thought...whats par for hitting a cop?

We have cops hang out at our course occasionally. They don't come into the park ever, but the course is right next to a hill that people like to speed down. The cops will hide behind golfers' cars to bust speeders, which I don't have a problem with. Disc golfers have aided in enough tickets I guess that I've heard of golfers being let off the hook on other driving infractions around town just for that reason. Also, even though playing night golf is technically illegal (park closes after sunset), the police like having us play there. They know fully well what goes on during night rounds, but since we're there, the hood rats tend to go elsewhere and the police turn a blind eye. Sort of a symbiotic relationship going on. :D

Smoke, those cops sound like real assholes! Have they actually had reason to search through people's stuff? Seems to me unless there's a funky cloud hanging overhead or you're getting a citation for something else, that would be an illegal search.

Cops normally drive around in the area, but I don't think it has to do with DG. I have had a cop come up to me and ask me what I was doing; he paid no mind to the beer I was drinking (which is against the law in city parks).

Before it was a DG course, this park was a hangout for drug addicts and homo-gays. So, I'm glad cops hang out there. Couple that with the fact that the majority of DG'rs like to engage in herbal therapy: I figure cops have a reason to hang out around courses. Maybe you are not one of these herbal therapists, but let's face it: that wasn't a marlboro the guy was smoking...(if you have to ask what guy, you don't play often enough) I'm sorry if I have offended anyone or broken a forum rule, but we travel plenty all around Texas. I am yet to play 1 course in Texas where the aformentioned activity was NOT being indulged.

Normally puts me in the guildt by association group, which is why my gf and I only play together, never joining the locals.

we get some cops in our park too. I didn't really notice until they installed the second 18 and now I sometimes happen on several squad cars tucked away on a park road that dead ends. It's cool, a good place for them to hang out and shoot the shit without drawing attention to themselves.

In exchange, the park director who is also a disc golfer can freely call up the police and them respond very quickly if there is something awry on the course (meth-heads or abusive boyfriends berating their girlfriends on the fairway or what have you). It's nice, it sets up the dynamic where the police see the DG community as being on the fun-loving and law abiding side of things.

jiwaburst said:
we get some cops in our park too. I didn't really notice until they installed the second 18 and now I sometimes happen on several squad cars tucked away on a park road that dead ends. It's cool, a good place for them to hang out and shoot the shit without drawing attention to themselves.

In exchange, the park director who is also a disc golfer can freely call up the police and them respond very quickly if there is something awry on the course (meth-heads or abusive boyfriends berating their girlfriends on the fairway or what have you). It's nice, it sets up the dynamic where the police see the DG community as being on the fun-loving and law abiding side of things.

What you just described is what I pictured when I took up disc.

I have seen mounted police clipclop through Fairmount Park in Philly - but they are not regulars there!

Other than Park Rangers in the state parks I have never seen any kind of law enforcement