• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Coyote Vs Lycan

Psicko

Eagle Member
Ok, I searched for anything close to this, and have not found any. One of my main mids is a 180 star coyote. That thing works well for me. Anyways I noticed the Lycan has the same flight numbers as the coyote. How does the lycan flight compare with the coyote's?

I also noticed that on the "worst 10 discs by innova/dc," the lycan made the list several times. I take it as its probably not worth buying, and just keep getting the coyotes.

Personally I would stick with the coyote. The Lycan is supposed to fall between the mako and coyote although it has not gotten a very good wrap. It is domier than a coyote as well. For stability purposes, if you need your coyote to me more overstable then I suggest max weight. If you are looking for less stable then get it closer to 170g. I personally prefer champ or glow if you can find it.

I throw a 174g star lycan and really like it, but I have never thrown a Coyote so I can't compare them. I do know that my lycan is stable to slightly overstable. It has great glide and holds a line very well, both hyzer and annie with enough stability to flex and land flat on the latter. I use a fan grip and still generate enough snap to throw the lycan perfectly straight for 250' before it fades gently. I thought it was overly domie at first, but quickly got used to the feel and I enjoy the consistent flight.

get a buzzz or break in a dx or kc roc. I use buzzz's because i prefer the feel, as they fly out of my small hands better.

The lycan is only better than the coyote in the mystical realm.

In this world the coyote has very few peers in its class. The lycan isn't one of them.
My star coyote is my best midrange. Covers almost any shot and is also my get out of jail free card.

I rotate between a max-weight Coyote, Lycan, and Mako as my primary mid-range, and they all perform well, and similarly, for me. I have a slight preference for the Coyote, as 2 of my 5 aces have been with two different max-weight Champion Coyotes. :p

Coyotes are like axises and buzzzes. Lycans are more overstable like rocs or gators.

I picked up a max weight lycan to complement my mako. It flies too similar to my buzzzes and the plus rim is bleh. buzzzes stay in the bag.

Not worth changing for. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I know the feeling, I have an Icon Ghost and a Star Roc in the bag right now. They are pretty much identical, I think I might prefer the Icon plastic though.....

ANYWAY! The lycan isn't bad, but it's like switching from a Teebird to a gazelle. Why? they are so similar that it is pointless.

The Lycan is basically a re-tooled Coyote. The Lycan has a higher dome, and features the "plus rim" .
My advice, stick with the Coyote.

Any love for the DX Coyote on here? It's been OOP for a couple years now and not highly sought after as far as I know. Really is a fantastic no frills disc, will hold exactly whatever line you put on it. Great glide and great feeling because of the low profile and smooth rim.

^^This. Although I must say that the Axis replaced my Coyote, Roc, and Buzzz...;)

The coyote was my first "true love" in disc golf. I still have a sizable stockpile of them, but they've been replaced in my bag by X Comets. :)

That said, Coyote > Lycan any day.

I did end up finding the 33 page lycan thread.

Any love for the DX Coyote on here?
I have one left. Thats what got me into coyotes

Stick with the coyotes.

I rotate between a max-weight Coyote, Lycan, and Mako as my primary mid-range, and they all perform well, and similarly, for me. I have a slight preference for the Coyote, as 2 of my 5 aces have been with two different max-weight Champion Coyotes. :p

Sweet. I will stick with the coyotes. My star is my money maker as well. I havent aced yet, but I do drain some insane shots with my star coyotes. Out of the last 10 rounds I played, I sunk 9 shots ranging from 80 feet to about 130 feet out. Some behind trees that messed up my plans for the flightpath.
I did just pick up an axis the other day. Still getting used to it though.

get a buzzz or break in a dx or kc roc. I use buzzz's because i prefer the feel, as they fly out of my small hands better.

Not to be a dick, but does my thread say anything about coyote vs lycan vs buzz vs roc in it? No it doesnt. I dont like the feel of the buzz or the roc for many reasons including that I dont have small hands and they just don't fly as nice as for me as the coyotes do. This thread was about comparing 2 discs, and not asking about everyones preference for a midrange. If I wanted that I would have asked that, but that has been asked many times on this board.

Any love for the DX Coyote on here? It's been OOP for a couple years now and not highly sought after as far as I know. Really is a fantastic no frills disc, will hold exactly whatever line you put on it. Great glide and great feeling because of the low profile and smooth rim.

I am, more than likely, the only human on the planet that owns more than one DX Coyote. I have amassed three of them in different shades of blue between 178-180g. I use them for neutral to anny shots and they are maybe my favorite discs ever, mostly because no one else throws them. Super comfortable in the hand.