• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

I fondled a first run Buzzz-OS today and almost pulled the trigger but, then I thought, what the heck am I going to use it for? so I passed. I did hide it, so I may go back for it. Yeah, I'm a prick that way.

Holy OP!

Got a question:

What is the Challenger equivalent to other brands?
Right around the time Cam Todd jumped from Innova to Discraft there were three big discs released: The Predator (to compete with the Firebird,) the Wasp (to compete with the Roc) and the Challenger (to compete with the Aviar-X.)

I heard two rumors about the Challenger: a) it was designed specifically for Cam to keep him happy and b) it was an Aviar copy that was not allowed by Innova when the patent was in place, but once the patent expired (which would have been right around the same time the Challenger came out) Innova couldn't stop the Aviar copies anymore. Both rumors are probably a buncha hooey, but whatever...

The DGA Tsunami is the old, less overstable Predator mold, so in between a Pred and Avenger. Though there is very little gap lol...

The Magnet is also an underrated putter nowadays....People complain about the D plastic but it is usually nice and firm and it is always very grippy and catches perfectly, and it beats in nicely for putting.

My first DC disc was a Z Avenger that I loved, but I stepped up to the Flash when it started turning. Now I bag a couple "Avenger OS" Proline Tsunamis.

I also rocked the Magnet for a few years. I couldn't drive with it, so I got a Titanic for driving duties. I decided I liked the stiffer D-Line blend, so now the D Titanic is my all purpose putter.

All the ESP FLX discs (especially the Avenger) I've ever thrown were way more overstable than the same mold in any other plastic.

FLX will beat up faster tho. I stay away from it, because I think it develops turn too fast. It feels great tho. I really like how Cryztal FLX feels too, but I'm not familiar with how it seasons.

I may have to try a focus and see if it can kick out the wizards but i dont think it will. The challenger failed,steady failed.

If you don't need a bead, try the Titanic. Prolines are a little more OS than D-Lines, and I think they're slightly deeper than D-Lines.

Been rocking the 100% DGA bag all month.

What's missing is a slower neutral fairway.

I can't believe there aren't more Aftershock throwers. It's the mid I keep coming back to.

Squall is the perfect slower neutral fairway. I bag a Proline, a SP and a Glow Squall. When I get the hyzer angle right, the Glow Squall will laser with zero fade. It's also easy to turn. Squall is definetly my favorite mold.

I bag Aftershocks, but I don't reach for them like I used to. KatanaFrenzy got me to revisit the Aftershock's OS cousin, the Shockwave, and I really like it for flex approaches, and it gets down and stays put. I'd liken it to the Gator.

I have a pro-d Challenger, nice stiff disc, good putter, too bad the material didn't hold up all that well.

Also have what I think is an Elite-X Stratus. Good understable mid, nice for the RHBH anny shot, but a bit soft and floppy for my tastes.

What Discraft needs to work on is marketing. I could write volumes on how Innova is crushing Discraft in these areas, but it's late and Tebow's coming in to the pre-season game :p

Discraft stuff I've thrown:

Magnets-putted with them for close to five years.
APX-putted with them on and off for three years.
Phantom +-my "one disc wonder" disc.
Phantom Deuce-Threw one for about two years when I started playing regularly thinking it was a replacement for the Phantom +. It wasn't. :|
The Hawk-Threw them during a "I'm not throwing Rocs" phase for about a year.
Comet-Started throwing them when the Ontario Roc went OOP in '97; still throwing them.
MRV-How do you throw an MRV? Threw them for a bit when they came out.
Eclipse-Threw it as a distance driver for a couple of years when I started.
Stratus-Threw it as a Stingray replacement for a couple of years in the 90's.
Cyclone-Started throwing them in '95; threw one today.
Cyclone 2-Slightly more stable Cyclone; stopped throwing them becasue they stopped making them.
X-Clone-great sidearm disc; stopped using them when the Banshee came out.
XL-Great disc that I don't remember why I stopped throwing.
X2-Great TeeBirdish disc that I stopped throwing becasue they stopped making them.
Xtra-Great disc that replaced the Banshee for a bit; stopped throwing them becasue they stopped making them.
Xtreme-Super overstable trick disc
Predator-Loved them in X; still carry a Z for an overstable trick disc.
Flash, Avenger, Avenger SS, Surge, Surge SS-discs too fast for me that I've had in the bag out of stupidity.

In the late 90's-early 00's, my bag was LOADED with Discraft. Magnet/MRV/Comet/Cyclone/XL/X2/Xtra would have been a pretty common setup for me then. I loved Tournament Pro and Elite Pro plastic; both had great grip. As time has gone on more and more of their stuff has moved out of my bag; the Comet and Cyclone are two that stick. I might have to get some X XL's and try to remember why I don't throw them anymore, becasue I remember I loved throwing those and don't really know why I don't anymore.

I have a pro-d Challenger, nice stiff disc, good putter, too bad the material didn't hold up all that well.

Also have what I think is an Elite-X Stratus. Good understable mid, nice for the RHBH anny shot, but a bit soft and floppy for my tastes.

What Discraft needs to work on is marketing. I could write volumes on how Innova is crushing Discraft in these areas, but it's late and Tebow's coming in to the pre-season game :p

That is how my Stratus is.. $3.99 at PIAS. I love this disc. 200-250 straight or turn over shots are delicious.

I'm a noob a couple of beers in who thinks about playing more than I play and throw exclusively Discraft, so I'm taking the opportunity of add a car to the train of thought...

PUTTERS:

I throw a hard magnet. Rarely goes in but its not the disc. The disc is great. Very workable near fadeless disc. Hyzer, anny, straight etc. The feel is a little weird (I don't put my finger on the outside of the rim so concave is weird), but I've gotten used to it and I don't notice it anymore. Looking forward to trying the AR2015, since it is also a neutral putter. I could throw APX but only comes in soft and I think I like hard better. Also dig the Focus though so if I ever rethink my putter choice it will be in the running.

Zone is of course an amazing approach disc that needs no intro. I throw it in Pro D. I was doing some field work and was surprised how far I could get it on a flex line.

I have a Rattler. Don't throw it much. Don't want too many putters in the bag. But it is great for catch and the rubber plastic is cool.

As a general comment, the Pro D really gets dinged up pretty easily. I can't honestly say I've noticed any change in the flight of the putters due to wear, but it would be cool if there were more higher end plastic putters from DC. I even like X plastic a lot. They had an hard X APX... that would be cool to bring back. Or any neutral to slight OS putter in X would be cool.

MIDS:

Buzzz was my first disc, but currently not in the bag. Random thoughts: Pro D is surprisingly stable IME, X is domey and more US, Big Z is beefy. Great disc, but...

COMET! Came for the form correction, stayed for the easy glide. I have X and Z... they fly about the same so I just bag the X in case I lose it and I'm also beating it in. Glide glide glide, any line no fade. Disc that enables my best and worst shots. Sometimes I feel like I am self flagellating by using it and should go back to Buzzz, but then I sack up and truck on. Probably my favorite disc. Most rewarding for sure when it works out.

FAIRWAYS:

As a newb, this is where I top out and its also where I'm doing the most experimentation.

The Cyclone is awesome. Really wish it was still available in ESP (R U LISTENING DISCRAFT???????????) I throw Pro D, but it gets beat to crap in no time. X is more OS and shorter.

X XPress is the new contender. Way underrated. Feels great... might replace the Cyclone. I seem to get more consistent releases with it than the 'clone, perhaps due to shallow depth. If I had a bigger arm it would probably turn over, but for me its pretty straight and long.

I tried to love the Stalker, but I find I really have to crush it to make it go straight and it has little glide. Maybe have a dud or lack the arm, but don't really like it.

TLDR: ESP CYCLONE PLZ KTHXBYE

I can't wait to get this DGA Hellfire out to the DGC!

picture.php

I was curious about a Pro-D Drone. I've seen they are available all the way down to 156 at DGC. What would a lightweight super overstable mid fly like, and what would it beat into?

I can't wait to get this DGA Hellfire out to the DGC!

picture.php

Threw my fresh new dayglo today...it's overstable lol. Feels great in hand, especially for overhand and backhand. It doesn't feel pointy or shallow like the flick.

Threw my fresh new dayglo today...it's overstable lol. Feels great in hand, especially for overhand and backhand. It doesn't feel pointy or shallow like the flick.

It feels like I gonna be addicted to this mold already and need to stock up... It's super flat, great rim feel and height. The plastics great. And one thing that I've really liked about the DGA Breaker that this has to, it's that record player feel in the plastic. It looks cool and I dig the ever so subtle soft texture.

Kick ass name too, one of the best in Disc Golf?! I'm a sucker for the semantics.

I could make an almost all Discraft bag and generally have liked their stuff but the stability rating with out a speed indicator made it hard for me to adapt starting out so I never used a ton of their molds.

Could use this bag;

Nuke OS
Nuke
Surge
Hellfire/Flick
(I have never been able to find a Teebird/Stag type disc, XClone maybe?)
Buzzz OS
Buzzz
Breaker
Challenger

Could roll with that...

Question: How would you rank Discraft's discs by categories, best to worst? For me:

1. Midrange
2. Putt and Approach
3. Distance Drivers
4. Fairway Drivers

There mid line up is the best IMO. Lots of magnet and challenger putter around here, but I rarely ever see a DC fairway driver.

Baby we're just touching the tip, if you know what I mean! I want to see some sweet Discraft buys and pics of the new molds coming out.

I'd rather see old molds coming back out.

Squall is the perfect slower neutral fairway. I bag a Proline, a SP and a Glow Squall. When I get the hyzer angle right, the Glow Squall will laser with zero fade. It's also easy to turn. Squall is definetly my favorite mold.

They're also the perfect faster neutral midrange :)

I bag 2 Prolines (fresh and beat) and a beat 150 D-line.

Last edited:
I was curious about a Pro-D Drone. I've seen they are available all the way down to 156 at DGC. What would a lightweight super overstable mid fly like, and what would it beat into?

It (lightweight) would fly the same aside from a bit of added glide and wind susceptibility. I never threw lighter ones but a beat in Pro-D Drone flies very similar to a Spider or fresh Buzzz. They get that "Teebird beat in" - lose LSF but don't gain much HST. Very DX Roc-esque. Easy to gauge distance on.

Had I started throwing D Drones prior to the Cobra and Buzzz I'd probably only bag Drones...I love the way they feel and a very beat one can be as understable as needed. That may be a lie, but if you forced me to only carry one midrange mold yes it would be an assortment of Drones (no BuzzzOS/Buzzz/BuzzzSS cheating - they're not the same).

I was out today with a hurt ankle and joked about playing a Drone only round since it came to my rescue so many times. With a lack of weight shift or bracing I needed to rely on a different side of my game. I'm tempted to do so, film it, and post it on here just to see how well I make out with such a utility disc (and a Gravity Clutch for putting!).

Took that hellfire out to the local course today. Much more over stable than I thought it'd be. Also, the rim is fairly wide. More so than a destroyer it felt. Not sure if there's a discraft equivalent or not?

For fun (and to learn) I was throwing forehand rollers and parking some shorter holes >250' with this thing...

The only Discraft in my bag right now is the Eclipse, which is, of course, OOP. Most of the Discraft models I've loved and treasured over the years are all OOP. If it brings those back, I'll force my money on the company.

There are some models I'd try now if it weren't for the fact that they seem to only come in Elite Z plastic--I hate that stuff.

Question: How would you rank Discraft's discs by categories, best to worst? For me:

1. Midrange
2. Putt and Approach
3. Distance Drivers
4. Fairway Drivers

Nah I think all four categories are 100% perfect. Honestly. As good as any disc company, just not nearly as hyped.

My bag right now:

max weight or close

2 normal stiff D Magnets restricted to putting

1 D Challenger all beat up, I use this one a lot.
2 Premium Challengers, one Cryztal one Ti. During rounds I use the Cryztal one right now because it's stiffer.

2 Meteors, one Z one ESP. The ESP has better grip and beats in better for turnovers.
2 Z Buzzzes, one is worn and turns much more than the other.
2 BuzzzOS, one Z one Cryztal. Recently edged out my long beloved Wasps! They may indeed be a hair more overstable but they're interchangeable for me. Not nearly as overstable as the Z Drones and ESP Zones I bring out sometimes.

2 Big Z Mantis, one more beat than the other.
2 Z Avengers, Both worn in
2 Z Preds, one much more worn than the other. I usually throw the worn one as it still won't flip up on me.

1 Proline Hellfire. This total meathook driver slot is sometimes purposely not bagged or filled with a NukeOS (The most overstable discraft disc), Flick, freak Nuke like my Ti ones, or freak Forces like the SC Top 10 run.

Sometimes I bag a right turning backhand roller like a NukeSS or Heat but not around my home courses.

2 Z Cranks with nice domes for a little extra turn and glide over my Nukes. Like a slightly faster Tern.
3 Nukes, one Z two ESP. The Z one is very overstable. The two ESP are beat but more overstable than the Cranks. One ESP with a pop top still doesn't turn and the other turn a little but still not as much as my Cranks.

Last edited: