• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

What would be the Leopard / Teebird combo from Discraft?

The Stalker is veeery similar to the Leo in speed and flight but beaded. The XL would be my recommendation, it's in between a Leo and TB, I throw mine in the bag sometimes for shots in between my Buzzz and Mantis. The Mantis is like a Leo but two speeds faster and has an awesome dome.

Years ago I used to have a very typical Innova bag of Aviars, P2s, Rhynos, Pigs, Makos, Rocs, Leos, TeeBirds, Eagles, Roadrunners, PDs, Firebirds, Archons, Wraiths, Destroyers, Bosses, etc., etc., etc. I changed to Innova soon after I moved south because it dominates the new scene where I live and my disc mentor at the time threw Innova. I do not think about or miss any of those discs, not even my MANY go-to TeeBirds.

The closest thing to the sought after overstable TeeBird or Eagle X made by Discraft today is the Tracker. It is very similar with a mild dome and Eagle L-ish wing, but the rim is .1cm wider. The coveted older players cup runs matched that overstable TeeBird stability but unfortunately the newer runs are very overstable, like a slower Predator. People never caught on to the Tracker I'm sure for many silly reasons, but my guess is partially because their stability wasn't consistent enough between runs.

The Stalker is like a straighter TeeBird but beaded and speed 6. The Z XL isn't beaded and is much closer in feel and speed but still a hair slower than a TeeBird. The ESP XL tends to mold up less overstable than the Z.

Talking about the XL had me craving it so I bagged it today. It is the easy button on those hyzer flip straight shots juuust in between my Buzzz and Mantis. It was money on a 305 foot flat ground tight tunnel shot with velcro grass that I usually throw 20 feet short with my Buzzz when I hit my line right on.

Threw my new Hellfire a lot again today and now I'm looking to buy another one for practicing second shots. It's a perfectly designed speed 11ish faster Firebird. Perfect for any meathook driver duties, I definitely don't have to worry about it going too far like I secretly feared because of it's speed lol.

I'm a mixed bag thrower and like Discraft's offerings. I used to throw the XL and been thinking about putting it back in the bag. Would it complement the PD well, in your opinion? I throw a Leo for shorter stuff and want something a little longer that isn't really going to overlap with the PD.

Also, is the Heat essentially a RoadRunner?

Threw my new Hellfire a lot again today and now I'm looking to buy another one for practicing second shots. It's a perfectly designed speed 11ish faster Firebird. Perfect for any meathook driver duties, I definitely don't have to worry about it going too far like I secretly feared because of it's speed lol.

Bought a first run Hellfire and almost traded it off after a week as it was too much disc for me but, I stuck with it. Played a couple of rounds where I just walked along slamming it into the ground trying to break it in a little and get that fresh meat-hook snot off of it and now I love it and it has a bit more glide too for those forehand flex shots! The Firebird was traded off! For some reason, I just get a better fit with it in my hand than the Firebird too.

I'm also a huge Predator fan.

Z Wasp thrower for a couple years now. The flat ones are the only ones worth getting. Perfect premium plastic complement to a couple of DX Rocs.

I've thrown the ESP Zone for 2 years and love it. Really not much overlap with driving putters because it cuts through the air like a driver but with a fraction of the distance.

X Comet has been in the bag for a year or two. No beat up DX Rocs can quite hit the lines that an X Comet can.

Threw the XL for a bit as a stable-US complement to TB's. Solid, but eventually returned to Leos.

I think the XS (particularly Elite X) seems more Leopard like than the Mantiss (referring to production Z Mantisses).
I've heard Stalkers compared to TL's, which I think is a fairly accurate comparison.
DC has yet to release a mold that really flies like a Tee Bird, but some of the beefier Stalkers come close.

Threw the XL for a bit as a stable-US complement to TB's. Solid, but eventually returned to Leos.

I threw the XL for a bit and went back to the Leopard. I've been thinking about going back to the XL. I think the XL is more like Eagle-L and a little more stable than the Leo.

I think the XL is more like Eagle-L and a little more stable than the Leo.

meh...
depends on the disc. I have had XLs, Leos, and ELs that are all over the stability map.
I have had at least 10 XLs in various plastics (used to throw them a ton) I have a few DX and Champ ELs, and wayyy too many DX/Champ/Star Leos. All of them are inconsistently molded.

If, like me, you love the XL profile then you will be able to pick some overstables, stables and understables.

I don't know why this disc doesn't get much love.

I've predominantly only tried the following Discraft discs:
x & z Comets
esp, pro d, & z Buzzz
esp Avenger SS

X Comets are never leaving my bag. You'd have to pry them outta my cold dead hands.

I love the plastics Discraft comes out with (x & z are both stellar, and the cryztal stuff looks great).

That said, I just never clicked with their molds (Comet is the exception) like I did a lot of the similar Innova stuff. Leo > Avenger, Roc > Buzzz, etc....not saying they're bad molds, just not something I prefer.

Do they make any superclass stuff? I know their bread and butter is in the Ultimate market (at least, that was my understanding from a couple of years ago...might have changed since then but I doubt it), but do they carry anything like a Condor or Zephyr?

meh...
depends on the disc. I have had XLs, Leos, and ELs that are all over the stability map.
I have had at least 10 XLs in various plastics (used to throw them a ton) I have a few DX and Champ ELs, and wayyy too many DX/Champ/Star Leos. All of them are inconsistently molded.

If, like me, you love the XL profile then you will be able to pick some overstables, stables and understables.

I don't know why this disc doesn't get much love.

Did you pair your XL with anything more stable? I'm thinking about pairing my PDs with the XL. Do you think that would be a good pairing?

I threw the XL for a bit and went back to the Leopard. I've been thinking about going back to the XL. I think the XL is more like Eagle-L and a little more stable than the Leo.

I had FLX XL's, which I would imagine are less stable than eliteZ or Champ Eagle-L.

Did you pair your XL with anything more stable? I'm thinking about pairing my PDs with the XL. Do you think that would be a good pairing?

If you are wanting to pair the PD with something of the same speed but less stable, I think something like a Valk, Sidewinder, OLS or Bandit would work better than an XL.

A Z Nuke (Founder's Brewery Stamp) and a CryZtal Z Nuke were my go to drivers for years. After being Team Discraft for a couple years and only throwing Discraft, I'm a big fan of lots of their molds. Hornets are still the best OS Mid I've thrown. The Stalker is a phenomenal straight mid/fairway. The Avenger is a solid short distance driver. The Flick was my favorite sidearm driver for years and I threw Soft Magnets for about 8 years. LOVE the Soft Mag. I still carry one in my car (warped to ****e but still dead straight) for some throwback bagging times when I feel like throwing a whole DC bag again...

All around, as a Michigander, I'm a huge DC fan. They have an awesome factory and let players do walk-throughs, make amazing molds, and I still have home-pride. However, since taking about three years off the sport and the guys from DC and Innova left and formed Prodigy, I'm finding a lot more comfort throwing Prodigy discs. Guess I'll have to move to TN...

Yes, I carried Predators in various states of wear. A thrashed Z Pred is a thing of pure beauty :)

PDs? It depends... are you looking for something the same speed as the XL but more overstable? If so then the PD is not the best choice; PDs are decently faster.

I personally think PDs are a fantastic pairing because it opens up shot options that the XLs can't readily do. PDs are better at low distance, wind resistance, skips, etc. but are still very controllable. It will take a bit of beating before the PD starts flying like an XL. XLs are substantially less stable in general. There are freakshow XLs but they are rare.

I think you have a great idea for your driver flowchart :thmbup:

Last edited:
Yes, I carried Predators in various states of wear. A thrashed Z Pred is a thing of pure beauty :)

PDs? It depends... are you looking for something the same speed as the XL but more overstable? If so then the PD is not the best choice; PDs are decently faster.

I personally think PDs are a fantastic pairing because it opens up shot options that the XLs can't readily do. PDs are better at low distance, wind resistance, skips, etc. but are still very controllable. It will take a bit of beating before the PD starts flying like an XL. XLs are substantially less stable in general. There are freakshow XLs but they are rare.

I think you have a great idea for your driver flowchart :thmbup:

The difference in speed is one of the reasons for me wanting to pair them together. That and the PD is more of the "power" disc and XL is more of the "control/finesse" disc.

I LOVE my Buzzzes! I bag two in ProD, one that's nicely beat in and one that I only throw when there aren't any trees to hit. I just scored one on eBay in a lot with a couple other discs, and thought it looked like ProD, but when it came I was happy to find that it's a Z. I'm looking forward to trying it.

I also bag an X2. When I throw it right it holds an anny line very nicely.

There is not near enough Buzzz love in this thread. Maybe cause it's just a given that the Buzzz is one amazing disc.

I love me some Discraft, and for years I have gotten a lot of hate for it here in Innovaland. I was throwing almost all Discraft until MVP came out, and have slowly transitioned away from DC to almost all MVP, but no mids MVP offers come even close to my Buzzzes so far, and I'm in no hurry to replace them. For long approaches and drives in the 200' - 275' range nothing quite compares to the Buzzz for me. Left, right or straight the Buzz can easily cover them all.

Also, is the Heat essentially a RoadRunner?

I'm only familiar with the Ace Race Heat, but it isn't as understable as a Roadrunner. Maybe closer to beefy Z Sidewinder stability.

Bought a first run Hellfire and almost traded it off after a week as it was too much disc for me but, I stuck with it.[... ] now I love it and it has a bit more glide too for those forehand flex shots!

I'm right with you. Now that the glide has been beaten out, it's a very useful utility disc. It's slow enough to straighten it out at full power before hooking up, but at 80%, it'll cut hard.

I also bag an X2. When I throw it right it holds an anny line very nicely.

X2 is an awesome mold. Very Eagle'ish. It's definetly on my OOP revival wish list.

well the buzzz has been in my bag for the last two week and about 9 rounds. i am not sure i can take it out. parked a few holes today and maybe now after all these years I'm starting to see why people love them.

hit cage today with my z zone. about three inches too low on a 220 hole. damn there is something great about having a short chip style disc you can depend on.

im not one to keep discs around for very long cause i am dumb and like to wast time and money but these two are earning slots that may be permanent.

Latest posts