• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crank SS

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
Keep Calm and Flip Out

The Crank SS made by Discraft was PDGA Approved as of 9-17-2015.

"The Discraft Z Crank SS distance driver - Just because you don't have a lot of power, doesn't mean you don't deserve more distance! Crank SS was designed to deliver significantly more distance for low-power throwers. You'll find it to be very fast and controllable, with a comfortable grip. Flippy is no longer a dirty word! Class: distance driver, Stability rating: 0.7, Weight range: 160-174 gm, Available plastic blends: Z" - by Discraft

Last edited:
I will check this out if one shows up at Hastings. I never really clicked with the original and the Nuke SS is too flippy. I've had a hard time finding a Discraft driver I like other than beat ESP Forces for into the wind duties.

If I threw discraft still (other than my drone) i'd give it a try as this would fill a spot in my bag for sure

SS line is weird, avenger, nuke way understable. Surge SS great straight flyer, so Crank? Idk

SS line is weird, avenger, nuke way understable. Surge SS great straight flyer, so Crank? Idk

The Avengers tend to be all over the place though. Pro D flippy heck. Z, not so much and would make a great driver or FD for lots of folks.

I might try it out for fun. My Surge SS is a straight flyer but does not glide much for me at all. Not currently ITB.

I thought a Crank was a Force SS. Does this make it a Force SSSS?

There needs to be a Force SS. I've been told that's what the Hurricane is, but the one I ended up with threw just like a Force. The Crank has a totally different shape. It's shaped more like a Destrulcan than a Force.

There needs to be a Force SS. I've been told that's what the Hurricane is, but the one I ended up with threw just like a Force. The Crank has a totally different shape. It's shaped more like a Destrulcan than a Force.

That's funny I didn't think that at all when I had my Crank. I remember the top wing being rounded.

The Z Crank I had was a bit too beefy for my distance at 375 so a Crank SS is probably better suited for me. Might give one a try at some point.

That's funny I didn't think that at all when I had my Crank. I remember the top wing being rounded.

The Z Crank I had was a bit too beefy for my distance at 375 so a Crank SS is probably better suited for me. Might give one a try at some point.

There must be some variation. I found this doing a search,

The Cranks I have found with a very smooth dome are much more overstable, than the Cranks with almost a Vulcan plate. I'll post some pictures up later of the differences.

I'll second the crank looking a bit vulcanish.

well the Nuke SS was a useless pancake, maybe this will be a nice controllable anhyzer disc.
I kinda like the Crank, but i don't bag one, I have a King right now and its kinda like a Crank....i guess.

I'm pretty much a newbie, I've been playing for probably a year total now with some time in between. But a high speed driver for people with less power. Isn't that kind of the opposite how things are supposed to work? I've never thrown a Crank before, but from what I've seen/heard it's basically a speed 13 disc. Looking at the SS line they all tend to be the same speed as the driver they're based off of. Isn't that quite fast for low power players? Even if its understable? My girlfriend throws an avenger since she is just getting into playing, but I don't see how a speed 13 understable driver will help her get more distance than a speed 10 understable driver. Wouldn't the players lack of power work against them, or not matter at all in this case?? Sorry for the long winded post!! Still trying to learn and love these forums!

I'm pretty much a newbie, I've been playing for probably a year total now with some time in between. But a high speed driver for people with less power. Isn't that kind of the opposite how things are supposed to work? I've never thrown a Crank before, but from what I've seen/heard it's basically a speed 13 disc. Looking at the SS line they all tend to be the same speed as the driver they're based off of. Isn't that quite fast for low power players? Even if its understable? My girlfriend throws an avenger since she is just getting into playing, but I don't see how a speed 13 understable driver will help her get more distance than a speed 10 understable driver. Wouldn't the players lack of power work against them, or not matter at all in this case?? Sorry for the long winded post!! Still trying to learn and love these forums!

Low power is a broad term. I think in this case they mean the thrower in the 3 to 4 bill range. Even more so in the higher 375 range. It is still a high speed driver.

You are wise beyond your years, I agree, Claiming EVERYTHING SS = easier for beginners to get distance is a farce. I agree, stick to 10 speed or less for drivers as a newbie, but who knows

:sick:

Low power should always mean under 300 feet.

If you broke down actual numbers of disc golfers as a whole, true low power is probably around 150-200 feet.

I hear ya, I just consider myself low power, I can't break 4 bills. Really all they are trying to do is market and sell high speed drivers to newbies. The low power bit and all.

I hear ya, I just consider myself low power, I can't break 4 bills. Really all they are trying to do is market and sell high speed drivers to newbies. The low power bit and all.

Yea. They have to push the plastic somehow. Beginners and truly low power players would be better off throwing a Meteor, Glide, or something similar.

Latest posts