• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique- how can I improve?

homebrew

Eagle Member
I would love to get some advice and critique on my drives. This is the first time that I've watched myself, and it looks like I just 'woosh' it at the end. I think that's the part that is limiting my distance.

These drives are about my average, 275-325. The basket here is 285 and I'm throwing a Roadrunner, SurgeSS, and a DX TeeBird.

Full Speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCIMfHsuBHo

1/4 Speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2lkxHg_4I

Sorry dog tired I'll get back to this later. Look at your plant step and foot pivot. There's plenty of sole to ground contact adding excess friction twisting your leg. Ouch time with the first root or stone.

Right on. That probably explains why my shins hurt when I first started.

You know,I consiously think to release late, but judging by this vid, I let go pretty early.

what I see is you have a weak grip and you are using all arm with very little body. read the maxing out at 300 thread.

First most obvious thing I see is during your X-Step you are not allowing your hips to turn away from the basket. I like everything I see after the hit, good follow through, ankle rotation, etc... I would try twisting your torso more so that your right hip is 90 degree's orthogonal to the pin, then as you push off your hind leg uncoil your hips, which will drive your core, which will drive your shoulders, which will in turn drive your arms. The other thing I think I'm seeing is early release, you need to fight that disc from pulling out of your hand more.

This is definitely releasing too early, right?

releasePoint.jpg

If you planted the right foot more than 90 degrees off the target you could turn back your hips and shoulders more giving a longer reach back. That would lengthen the time to accelerate giving more D. You aren't getting the right elbow far enough out of the right side toward the target before chopping the elbow. Which should be more explosive. Getting the disc closer to the body would also help snapping harder.

homebrew said:
This is definitely releasing too early, right?

releasePoint.jpg

From that still I can see you not getting a good grip/pivot on you finger, your weight is centered, not forward, you should be on your right heel or toe at this point to avoid blocking your hips, and (for longer drives at least) you should be letting your left shoulder come through a lot more. As was said, though, the absolute best thing to do is work back from a standstill, focusing on a clean, strong hit (see Blake's new tech thread for grip/release stuff) and really work on your weight transition (which Masterbeto does very well in the working from the hit back video.) Also, making yourself only use a putter for 250 and down, a mid for 300 and under, etc. is good practice for dealing with "arming it" issues and OAT. Don't despair! It will come, trust me, I was there just a few months ago.

For your grip are you pinching the disc between your fingers and palm or between your index finger and thumb?

Latest posts