• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

asp.jpg

Asp. Or Puss Moth Caterpillar.
Venomous.

seen tins of bunnies on my home course lately not to mention a hairy beaver in the middle of the woods with no lake or water around. It was really odd and threw my off my came

When I first read this post I cracked up. Thought about this thread. I laughed so hard I started to run out of oxygen. I had to lay down until the dizziness stopped.

you got hairy beaver up there?!

no hairy beavers around here. in fact hardly any beaver at all. hairy beavers need nair.:\

When I finally made it back to my computer, I read apothecary's reply. After the first six words, I was back on the floor trying to catch my breath. I think it took me 10-12 mins to get through both posts.

Going to try to finish this thread tonight.

When I saw this thread title I was going to mention rattlesnakes at East Metro, and then I opened it up and saw that was what you started the thread off of. I haven't seen them there myself, but have heard about them. We played a tournament there last Saturday and one of the park rangers warned us about them. He said that two rattlesnakes were spotted just a couple of days before. It defintely gave us something to think about when looking for errant shots and putting from the rough. I've never seen so many people clapping discs together while searching for their disc to scare away snakes. It was pretty funny. No snake bites though thank goodness.

I saw one of those fuzzy red ants crossing the path at Crooked Creek Saturday!

We were watching a cow killer ant at Stoney Hill earlier this year. As it wandered past a broad-leafed weed, a black widow spider lept out in ambush.

Wildlife Adventures....on a very small scale.

Question for ZBoazMobster

Almost stepped on a snake today. Literally!!! Was walking from 8 to 9 down this short downhill path. If I wasn't watching my footing to prevent a misstep, I would have stepped right on it. Screamed like a B****!!! Had to use a stick to poke at it so it would leave. My tee throw on 9 was a little harder than I usually throw...lol.

When I got home I tried to identify the snake online. Found this nifty website for identifying snakes in Mississippi. The snake I saw has all of the features and the pattern of a Northern Copperhead. The attachment is the site's example. The snake I saw was more of a grey color. Didn't have my camera with me.

My question is this... Can the color vary that much?

Thanks

Attachments

• scales.jpg
    scales.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 33
They are actually solitary wasps, not ants.

Yeah I know but they are called cow killer or velvet ant.

My friends mom worked at a golf course and they had some crazy ant killer that was more or less Jacob's Ladder. She said you had to rile them up by poking their mound with a stick or something and once they were properly pissed off you poured this powder on and once they ate it they would go into a homicidal rage and kill each other. She said you would see ants carrying other ants heads, eating each other etc...crazy stuff.

...snakes are deaf.

I didn't say it was working, just that it was going on. I think that they can sense the vibrations caused though. I'm not sure if that's a scientific fact, but it makes me feel better.

Yeah I know but they are called cow killer or velvet ant.

My friends mom worked at a golf course and they had some crazy ant killer that was more or less Jacob's Ladder. She said you had to rile them up by poking their mound with a stick or something and once they were properly pissed off you poured this powder on and once they ate it they would go into a homicidal rage and kill each other. She said you would see ants carrying other ants heads, eating each other etc...crazy stuff.

They should feed that stuff to prison inmates.....:thmbup:

My buddy threw into a tree the other day and tagged a locust. He hit the tree and then all you heard was the thing chirping as it fell.

There was some old man at Ferrettie Baugo yesterday who was wandering around handing out Jack Chick tracts and wanting to have a "frank discussion about Jesus" with the mostly uninterested disc golfers. :D

Lizard at Elon Long

It took a few minutes to snap a picture of this little fella. He was very camera shy.

Attachments

• Blue tailed lizard at Elon Long.jpg
    Blue tailed lizard at Elon Long.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 104