• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Just flew over our course:

View attachment 70169

It was only the second bald eagle I've seen here, the last one having been about 14 years ago. So it was pretty special to me.

Followed the next morning by the contrail of the Boeing Starliner glowing in the pre-dawn sky. Which isn't a critter, I know, but our skies have been quite interesting this week.

There are 4 courses in Yellowstone.

Sure enough, I was pretty surprised to see this. Looks like all but one are tonal/object courses, maybe it's a bit tough to get approval for baskets? Looks like they're mostly employee-built to get their DG fix during their off time.

I would be happy to play on tone poles on wilderness courses. Less distraction from the natural beauty.

I would be happy to play on tone poles on wilderness courses. Less distraction from the natural beauty.

Yeah, same here. I cut my DG teeth on object courses, but it's been quite awhile since I've played one. Always fun and the last time brought back good memories. Maybe some other NP's will approve tonals in some of the not-so-sensitive areas.

The Corse at lake has a annual Tournament. And it is the only approved course with baskets. Yes you can get into some trouble if you bother the flora or fauna. You can get some spectacular views on the course's and some very Bad lay's like on a soft floating ground that's over a hot pool, or even have your disc land in a fumarole.

Was playing a quick 9 at Central AOG DGC tonight and a couple deer were hanging out near basket #4.

picture.php

The basket for #4 is beside the fairway for #2. I threw my tee shot on #2. After getting to my lie I realized that I had left my putter in the #1 basket. So I left my bag at my lie and went and got my disc. On my way back the deer appeared to be walking towards my bag to check it out. So I stopped and threw my putter on #2 again. The throw ended up about 30' to the right of my bag.

The deer apparently noticed the new throw/disc. As I walked up to my lie the deer moved towards my 2nd throw (pictured below). I got closer and the deer took off... but not until it had checked out my putter. When I picked up my putter it had a wet smear on it. The deer must have checked it out and touched it with its nose, as the ground wasn't wet. I thought that was pretty cool!

picture.php

Exceptionally poor cell phone pic of a huge owl at Emmitsburg Community Park. We heard the owl from halfway across the course.

Apparently wildlife photographers use expensive long lenses for good reason. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• D685EBA0-C133-4EA0-A178-37B8A968E5FD.jpg
    D685EBA0-C133-4EA0-A178-37B8A968E5FD.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 99
^ Barred owl, according to the distinctive "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you all?" call and internet pics

Last edited:
I am fairly certain I saw either a Red or Eastern Wolf at Rockland today. It was WAY bigger than any coyote I've seen and was definitely not a domestic dog. No picture cause Pinto Bean was flipping out and the canid was hauling ass.

I had 3 deer walk by me within less than 100 feet at Maytag Park, I continued to play and they were unconcerned.

Yeah, same here. I cut my DG teeth on object courses, but it's been quite awhile since I've played one. Always fun and the last time brought back good memories. Maybe some other NP's will approve tonals in some of the not-so-sensitive areas.

I did too but it was a poorly made sign course in Pierre South Dakota from 1995 when the city did not know that actual good discs not promotional type cheep garbage existed. I made Course more challenging by my third time ever playing that is right 3rd time ever (yeah like so easy that on a few holes using just a Wham-O Frisbee you could get a 2, I did with a Wham-O jr Pro) my making it harder so I had to hit the sign in front or back as I did not want to ruin my discs going for the edge of signs on the sides. Now only 2-3 holes survive and might disappear when or if a new replacement outdoor pool gets put in. I never liked the course as I did hit at kid who I yelled at to get out of the way, he ran in front of the disc then turned to see it coming and just stood there getting hit in the wrist. Kid who was with a Native American only Daycare the people blamed me as a white though the kid or his mixed family did not and I even walked with the kid to the nerby hospital to get help for his wrist that got hurt. It was soon after another incident that most of the course got pulled except the first 4 holes even thought the in town basket course was not even an Idea yet in 2005. Now if the baskets. City eventually pulled hole 4 when parking lot got redone in 2013 due to the 2011 Missouri River flood.

Saw a red fox and a great blue heron at Patapsco Valley last weekend. Didn't see any deer but their poop was everywhere.

That's Iowa for you, deer all over and accustomed to people.

Rats with hooves. They are so common in Iowa City that you see more deer than squirrels. Sharpshooters were contracted to cull the city deer population so they don't die ugly from disease and starvation.

Rats with hooves. They are so common in Iowa City that you see more deer than squirrels. Sharpshooters were contracted to cull the city deer population so they don't die ugly from disease and starvation.

In several places around the USA, the number of deer in neighborhoods was so bad that they had special bowhunting seasons to cull them.

Latest posts