• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Ann Arbor, MI has been implementing a deer cull on recent years. I've definitely noticed more of them the past decade or so than I did prior to that.

I don't want to give deer too much credit for being smart, but they do seem to have figured out that the humans who have funny backpacks and are not being quiet are safe and the humans with bangsticks who are being sneaky are not safe.

I was Up North in Michigan this fall. From the tee we spied a deer about 100 feet off the right in the shule. Admired the majesty for a few moments and decided to go ahead and throw. We figure, the chance of hitting/hurting the deer was minimal and the deer would likely spook and bolt anyway.

Well, I threw an ESP Chally, hit a tree on the left and kicked right to about 8 feet in front of the deer. The deer did not move. We walked down the fairway and found the deer (a mom) and three small deer with it.

Tried to bluff charge, yell, clap to scare the deer off my disc. The response was snorting and stamping. We had a good laugh, but I had no intention of getting my ass kicked by mama. I picked up a half dozen large, 4 foot branches to toss the direction of the family, hoping to simply spook the group into fleeing. Response....more stamping and snorting. Finally had to come very close to clocking the mom with a branch, before the family turned and showed us some white tail.

Just a tale of deer having little fear of humans and probably golfers, in this example. I came close to leaving the disc to retrieve later. Kind of cool, but there were a couple tense moments. I was sure I did not want to tangle with mom.

Wild Horse Crossing @ Carson Ridge Disc Golf Park

Wild Nevada horses passing through the new Carson Ridge Disc Golf Park in Carson City.
The courses are on undeveloped BLM land that was transferred to Carson City Parks Dept.
Tremendous diversity of flora and fauna on the property (Pinyon Juniper Woodland), interpreted on the tee signs. Partially funded by a Land Water Conservation Fund grant...

Can wildlife and disc golf co-exist in a healthy, respectful way? So far, so good. Disc golfers are really sticking to trails as much as possible!

Attachments

• cr_horses_playthrough2.jpg
    cr_horses_playthrough2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 67
I was Up North in Michigan this fall. From the tee we spied a deer about 100 feet off the right in the shule. Admired the majesty for a few moments and decided to go ahead and throw. We figure, the chance of hitting/hurting the deer was minimal and the deer would likely spook and bolt anyway.

Well, I threw an ESP Chally, hit a tree on the left and kicked right to about 8 feet in front of the deer. The deer did not move. We walked down the fairway and found the deer (a mom) and three small deer with it.

Tried to bluff charge, yell, clap to scare the deer off my disc. The response was snorting and stamping. We had a good laugh, but I had no intention of getting my ass kicked by mama. I picked up a half dozen large, 4 foot branches to toss the direction of the family, hoping to simply spook the group into fleeing. Response....more stamping and snorting. Finally had to come very close to clocking the mom with a branch, before the family turned and showed us some white tail.

Just a tale of deer having little fear of humans and probably golfers, in this example. I came close to leaving the disc to retrieve later. Kind of cool, but there were a couple tense moments. I was sure I did not want to tangle with mom.

Apparently, Momma Deer thought, "Dude don't look so badass." :p

Glad it all worked out and you got afun story to share. I wonder how she'd have reacted had you deployed some sort of pole based retrieval device from 10- 15' away.

Poor deer. We're squeezing and pinching their habitats so terribly, it's no wonder we see more of them - especially in neighborhoods that still have some natural areas or woods in/around them.

The saddest thing I've seen in a long time was a very nice-looking doe, standing in the middle of the Carolina Place Mall parking lot, looking around to find a direction toward non-asphalt. Tragic.

And then because people are stupid and panicky, we killed all their predators (wolves), so now the deer just eat and (bleep) into overpopulation and then crash into starvation unless we do the killing ourselves. Which we do.

Well done, humanity.

And then because people are stupid and panicky, we killed all their predators (wolves), so now the deer just eat and (bleep) into overpopulation and then crash into starvation unless we do the killing ourselves. Which we do.

Well done, humanity.

In humanity's defense, we were certainly killing deer/prey before we were killing predators.....or wait, because we are predators.

In humanity's defense, we were certainly killing deer/prey before we were killing predators.....or wait, because we are predators.

Well yeah, but we got really carried away and went about the whole thing like toddlers with guns.

All I ever see around here are bull snakes.

8e84fff09836358c35175b2ed1b47d43.jpg

Very young fawn staying very still at #14 Long, Kensington - Green Course:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Teed off from the short tee... figured it was scared enough already.

Attachments

• Fawn 1 jpg.jpg
    Fawn 1 jpg.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 183
  • Fawn 2 jpg.jpg
    Fawn 2 jpg.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Fawn 3 jpg.jpg
    Fawn 3 jpg.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Usually the doe will stash the fawn somewhere it considers safe while off doing important doe things. The fawn spends this time holding very, very still.

Yep. That's basically their only defense; keep perfectly still, and hoping you don't see them, or aren't hungry.

I haven't seen one like that, in such an open spot, before. The kid should report mom to Fawn Protective Services, for poor judgment.

About 40' from Ramcat not2b's pin is a large outcrop of solid rock surrounded by hardscrabble red cedars. I spend a lot of quiet hours out there sitting and listening and looking and getting quiet. I'd been out there for an hour or so, finished a beer, bent over to put the bottle down and leaned back in my chair and stretched before settling back into my book. As my stretch put my field of vision directly overhead this guy was there also taking in the afternoon.
44662b12007418a2ed4d72b5eddf2afc.jpg

aa53037151e72340a2c0adc35b193c12.jpg

Around 5'6". A nice black phase rat snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very glad I ran into the fawn, and not the five foot snake! Pretty sure I'd have realized it's not venomous... but I still would have shat my pants right then and there.