• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Found this guy on the course at home
attachment.php

Bet he takes more than 30 seconds to throw, once he gets to his lie.

First time seeing a woodpecker at Northwest River DGC in Cheasapeake Virginia. I'm always hearing them, but hard to find them in thick canopy during the warmer months. Saw three, there was another one just above my head whaling on a tree 30 feet away, when I reached for my camera, it flew away. Still waiting for my first encounter with Cheesey the Black Bear.

Hole #6 halfway up the middle tree.

Attachments

• woodpecker.jpg
    woodpecker.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 59
Palmetto Bay Village Center is the former corporate HQ for Burger King. Not necessarily a great course, but the place definitely has a a tropical vibe, and some cool wildlife you don't typically encounter while discing.

I've seen peacocks before, but never on a course.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Pretty sure this is a Yellow Crowned Night Heron.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Peacock30.jpg
    Peacock30.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Iguana25.jpg
    Iguana25.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Heron30.jpg
    Heron30.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Also saw a ton of these white crabs in the water near hole #15.
Hard to believe there were so many of them , because they contrast so sharply against the bottom.
You'd think some sort predatory birds would just gorge themselves on these things.
Sorry the image isn't better, but the water wasn't exactly crystal clear.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Crabs Cropped.jpg
    Crabs Cropped.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Just outside the entrance of Munden Point DGC what could be a long par 3 to the #5 baskets, about 6-8 deer in the middle of the road as I turned the corner, they scattered into the brush except this one that turned and struck a pose.

Back in the fall a larger group came running out of the heavy trees and toward me, a few hundred feet they turned away full speed. Twice in the past month I've seen a large raccoon trotting across a fairway, but too far away for a photo. And those elusive eagles still remain too high up for a photo. Always critters to be seen at Munden.

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 44
Ya know, Hornings Hideout complex has a couple generations of peacocks wandering about, including at least one albino. You can hear the *******s shrieking all the way out to #8 tee on the Meadows course, near 1/2 mile.

Last edited:
^^^The '72 version with Sam Elliott and Joan Van Ark, or the '92 version with Elliott Gould and Shelly Duvall?

My first thought was avian influenza (bird flu) but according to CDC https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/avian-flu-faq.htm

Wild birds that carry bird flu viruses include waterbirds, like ducks, geese and swans, and shorebirds, like storks. ...
Most common songbirds or other birds found in the yard, like cardinals, robins, sparrows, blue jays, crows, or pigeons, do not usually carry bird flu viruses that are dangerous to poultry or people.

Found a dead cardinal and starling and a big hawk(Coopers maybe) at Creeping Creek.
pyr2iwel.jpg

Vhwb4mel.jpg

Ki1T2T2l.jpg

Latest posts