• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crosswinds WITH head or tailwind?

discugsting

I've been working on becoming one with the wind and not cursing it.

What I can't seem to get easily is how and what to throw on a COMBINATION of a crosswind and head or tailwind.

Can someone please bullet point this for me?

What does the wind do to the following, and what disc/type of throw is best for these scenarios? RHBH and RHFH please.

1. Headwind with RIGHT to LEFT crosswind
2. Headwind with LEFT to RIGHT crosswind
3. Tailwind with RIGHT to LEFT crosswind
4. Tailwind with LEFT to RIGHT crosswind

Thanks!

I've read that several times, but I still can't seem to grasp how the combo of a head/tail with a crosswind should be treated.

:doh:
There are several pages to that article. Did you read them all?

With the exception of disc selection this is all you'll need. Reverse for forehand.

I've found that diagram (Quarterwinds) to be incredibly helpful.in understanding how wind will affect a disc.

The thing to remember is what part of the flight plate a given release will present to the wind.

Like to think of it more of as riding or breaking into the "wind wall". Not trying to fight back and forth but picking your riding lines and pivoting into points.

Ever held a disc flat loosely in your hand into head wind? Theres a point where u can point it nose down and it will not want to take off.

2 different thoughts there, but think path of less resistance. Learning multiple shot styles is the way to go

-disc will rise and become more understable, disc will be pushed to the left. This is why an overstable disc is often used to combat the wind's tendency to make it understable.
Anhyzer the wind will hit the top of the disc and push it down. Hyzer, the wind will hit the bottom of the plate and lift it.

-Same as 1 but the anhyzer and hyzer shots have reverse effect, anhyzer will lift, hyzers will drop

-disc will drop and become more overstable, can get more carry. This is why an understable disc is often used to counteract the wind's tendency to make the flight overstable.
Anhyzer the wind will hit the top of the disc and push it down. Hyzer, the wind will hit the bottom of the plate and lift it.

-Same as 3 but the anhyzer and hyzer shots have reverse effect, anhyzer will lift, hyzers will drop.

Key points are that headwind makes a disc more understable and rise and tailwind makes them more overstable and drop. So choose a disc that counteracts that tendency and aim higher or lower to counteract the rise or drop. For crosswinds just think of how the wind hits the disc when thrown on different angles. If it hits the bottom it will push it in the direction the wind is going. If it hits the top it will push it down in the direction the wind is going.

Think this is correct, feel free to correct me anyone.

-disc will rise and become more understable, disc will be pushed to the left. This is why an overstable disc is often used to combat the wind's tendency to make it understable.

-Same as 1 but the anhyzer and hyzer shots have reverse effect, anhyzer will lift, hyzers will drop

-disc will drop and become more overstable, can get more carry. This is why an understable disc is often used to counteract the wind's tendency to make the flight overstable.

-Same as 3 but the anhyzer and hyzer shots have reverse effect, anhyzer will lift, hyzers will drop.

Key points are that headwind makes a disc more understable and rise and tailwind makes them more overstable and drop. So choose a disc that counteracts that tendency and aim higher or lower to counteract the rise or drop. For crosswinds just think of how the wind hits the disc when thrown on different angles. If it hits the bottom it will push it in the direction the wind is going. If it hits the top it will push it down in the direction the wind is going.

Think this is correct, feel free to correct me anyone.

Problem is this year every tee has a head-cross-tail-cross wind. I've played 5 holes in a row with tees every direction and always felt a head l-to-r wind. Even with parallel holes: head one direction, head coming back.

Where's the guide to swirl-wind shots?

For max distance I hyzer flip everything so weight and (under) stability is important. This may or not work for you, but it's what I do in these situations:

Aiming more to the right with a heavier disc. More hyzer on release with the goal being the disc flips up and flies straight without turning over too soon (causing it to get pushed into the ground).

Aiming more to the left with a heavier disc. Hyzer release on a higher line to give the disc enough time to fade back after it turns over. Expect more horizontal movement due to the s-curve.

This is my most reliable wind for max distance with some accuracy. Aiming more to the right. Throwing a lighter, more understable disc on a severe hyzer release to expose the flight plate early on and get a big initial push. When this is executed correctly the disc will never turn over, but will flip up and fly straight (maybe with a slight turn) for a long time, and when it slows down and starts to fade, it will get another push from the wind.

This is the "world record wind" scenario. The stronger the wind the better. Aiming more to the left. I'm throwing my lightest most understable disc as high as I can with the goal of the disc turning over at it's highest point at the apex. If done correctly the disc's flight plate will be exposed (at the apex) causing the disc to ride the wind for an extended amount of time before fading back as it slows down. If the disc is high enough, you'll get extra distance as it fades back.

This is obviously a hard throw to execute so you'll need to experiment on release height. The higher you throw the harder it will be to get the disc to turn over, hence alot of stalls resulting in short distance. Simon showed me this throw in person and is exactly what he used to throw the world record distance. Granted, his discs were heavier and not as flippy as mine. ;)

Problem is this year every tee has a head-cross-tail-cross wind. I've played 5 holes in a row with tees every direction and always felt a head l-to-r wind. Even with parallel holes: head one direction, head coming back.

Where's the guide to swirl-wind shots?
Throw a grenade and hope it goes the right way??

Throw it low and perfectly flat. 500 feet.

What's the problem ?

You're right, just throw low and flat with an ESP Nuke.

I forgot my wind disc this past weekend and ended up at an open windy course. Nothing worked well.

Next day same wind but had my star Firebird and did exactly that. Low, flat and right at my target. It worked! :thmbup:

For me the most important thing about disc selection in a wind is the stability of the disc mid flight. ie I don't care as much about how much turn the wind will cause/negate, I care about how the mid flight fade/turn will interact with the wind.

A good example is a left to right tailwind (rhbh). Many people say throw an understable disc so it flips over and rides the wind pushing on its flight plate. The guide linked above says this. I don't prefer this shot. I would throw a huge flex shot with a stable to overstable disc. As the disc fades out of the anhyzer angle, it will "push" down on the wind and give better lift and speed than a passive anhyzer angle with an understable disc would. I think of it like carving into a wave and getting that boost of acceleration. For right to left tailwind, I throw a flippy disc, and I hyzer flip so the disc is pushing down on that wind. It pops the disc up and produces superior speed. This is also counter to what the posted guide recommends.

Left to right headwind is the same as a left to right tailwind for me, except I may use a more overstable disc to counter any tendency to turn. I want that disc to fade from anhyzer to hyzer slowly, pushing up on the wind, with the disc only converting to hyzer at the very end of the flight. Right to left headwind is the hardest. I generally throw a straight stable disc (beat teebird) on a micro hyzer flip, knowing I will get some turn into the wind to flatten out, and then get a big glide to the left at the end when the fade kicks in.

It's 30 mph and swirling gusts here today.

I threw a few discs early this morning. The pattern looked something like a sawed off shotgun blast and carried about as far.

I didn't follow my secret wind tip very well.

Latest posts