• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Feldberg putting clinic

emiller3 said:
If push putting and short arm are the same thing, then I must have misunderstood what Feldberg was teaching, and who knows what I was trying out. I'm a short arm putter, which according to you means I'm a push putter. I don't think we're disagreeing if that's the case.

The easiest way to determine what style you're using is how the disc is being released. Does it come off of all your fingers simultaneously? Or is it hinging off of your index finger? That would answer your question.

Blake's article and Feldberg's examples do have some contradictions.

What Feldberg shows in his 10 to 15 ft example is a completely extended arm with just wrist movement. Blake would never teach that at any distance. What Feldberg doesn't get into in his example are 30 to 40 ft putts with this technique. A fully extended arm with just wrist movement at that distance would be disastrous. I'm assuming Feldberg did his example that way for players completely new to the game. Remember that this video was just part of it. Didn't he say he had like 10 more principles or something?

Feldberg also puts a lot of emphasis on nose up trajectories which I happen to fully agree with. I know Blake realizes the benefit of all nose trajectories but teaches players to throw it completely flat.

If I'm wrong Blake feel free to correct me.

I release the disc of all of my fingers simultaneously, with finger spring. No hinging on any fingers. And everything is moving in a line towards the basket, except the coiling/uncoiling of my wrist from neutral to closed to neutral, I'm not sure if that's considered linear or rotational.

The things I changed from the short arm technique to try what I thought was Dave's technique were:

• + Completely extended arm (I didn't realize he only advocated it for 15' putts, I thought I had heard him say he used that for anything inside the circle)
  • + More palm push and less finger spring
  • + Nose Up (I prefer throwing flat and arching the disc a little to throwing nose up stalls)

I didn't think any of those three things would fundamentally give me a leg up on the short arm technique described in Blake's article, so I gave up on them.

emiller3 said:
The things I changed from the short arm technique to try what I thought was Dave's technique were:

• + Completely extended arm (I didn't realize he only advocated it for 15' putts, I thought I had heard him say he used that for anything inside the circle)
  • + More palm push and less finger spring
  • + Nose Up (I prefer throwing flat and arching the disc a little to throwing nose up stalls)

I interpreted his extended arm thing as him saying he missed so many short make able putts to beat Climo until he learned to release the disc above the top lip of the cage (at that distance). Watch Feldberg on a 30 to 40 footer, his elbow definitely breaks.

He then goes into spin putting at further distances and briefly explains that he wants to extend the range of his push putt.

If your entire stroke is linear toward your target you're essentially doing the palm push. The disc never touches my palm at all, but my palm or heel of my hand is pointing right at my target after I release. The palm push is a straight line guidance tool not a source of power like finger spring.

Nose up on putts does a couple things. 1. Less tendency to miss low. 2. Discs fly straight when they're stalled, especially putters.

The only time I ever try to release the disc flat is when the wind kicks up to about 10+ mph.

The Trick to learning anything from a pro is to do as they do, and not as they say.

People sometimes use a mnemonic phrase, word, or train of thought to produce a physical result.

While Feldberg talks about not breaking the elbow, you clearly see him do it.

This is why its crucial to listen to what a pro has to say to catch the emphasis of the point they are trying to get across, and then build upon that with what they actually physically do.

Most the time, by simply cutting off the audio and then watching, re-watching, re-winding, pausing, or using slow-motion play back, you can decipher what they truly mean as the perform the action.

Its a great example of do as I do, and not as i say.

How to Download Feldberg Putting Clinic
==============================

1) Go into your favorite internet browser and change the size of your browser cache. I would recommend 500MB or so.

2) Let the video load in your browser window. Just click play and let it play until the whole video is cached on your system. in this case, you will see the progress bar that shows how far into the video you are turn from a bar with slashes [/////////] slowly start to turn to a full gray bar. Once the bar is fully gray from start to finish you can now stop the video. (the video will load fully before it is done playing)

3) Go to the location of your cached files for your browser. Each browser is different, but your good friend Google can help you turn up a result or two on where in your system files the cache folder is located.

4) Open the folder. Sort by file size. You should see a really huge file (around 250MB or so, or that would roughly be 260,000,000 bytes) with the extension of mp4. It will have some funky random characters as a name. Example: E9aser78g09asdh34erk.mp4

5) Copy file to a new location. After it gets done transferring to this new location, you can rename it. Make sure to keep the MP4 extension.

6) Enjoy your own personal copy of the putting clinic! If you need to convert the file to a different format, i would suggest an open source converter such as Handbrake. Then you can create an AVI file, or what not, and then rip to DVD.

Hope this helps, and remember, Google is always your friend.

USAnarchy said:
How to Download Feldberg Putting Clinic
==============================

1) Go into your favorite internet browser and change the size of your browser cache. I would recommend 500MB or so.

2) Let the video load in your browser window. Just click play and let it play until the whole video is cached on your system. in this case, you will see the progress bar that shows how far into the video you are turn from a bar with slashes [/////////] slowly start to turn to a full gray bar. Once the bar is fully gray from start to finish you can now stop the video. (the video will load fully before it is done playing)

3) Go to the location of your cached files for your browser. Each browser is different, but your good friend Google can help you turn up a result or two on where in your system files the cache folder is located.

4) Open the folder. Sort by file size. You should see a really huge file (around 250MB or so, or that would roughly be 260,000,000 bytes) with the extension of mp4. It will have some funky random characters as a name. Example: E9aser78g09asdh34erk.mp4

5) Copy file to a new location. After it gets done transferring to this new location, you can rename it. Make sure to keep the MP4 extension.

6) Enjoy your own personal copy of the putting clinic! If you need to convert the file to a different format, i would suggest an open source converter such as Handbrake. Then you can create an AVI file, or what not, and then rip to DVD.

Hope this helps, and remember, Google is always your friend.

or...just get Firefox and the Download Helper extension

EKG said:
Feldberg also puts a lot of emphasis on nose up trajectories which I happen to fully agree with.

anyone else find it funny that Dave teaches this "nose up push putt" but if you watched any of that footage at the memorial, most of his putts that he is pushing, are not nose up, they are either flat or nose down. I'm not just trying to be contradictory, just watch the putts. He definitely does nose up when he does his longer jump putts, but his push putts from 35ish and in are flat to nose down, in my opinion. I had a hard time when I watched his video and he is saying to putt it slightly nose up and he is not necessarily doing this when he putts everytime.

EDIT: here is a video of Dave from youtube, all his push putts are flat, and come into the basket flat or nose down. I'm sorry but those pushes are not nose up like he was instructing in the video. The spin putts from far away definitely are nose up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8m7RBWgMQ

ya, his foot angle thing really helped my short-arm pitch putt, but trying to pitch it nose up just hasn't clicked at all. but, no worries as long comebacks aren't common for me anyway.

pdorries said:
anyone else find it funny that Dave teaches this "nose up push putt" but if you watched any of that footage at the memorial, most of his putts that he is pushing, are not nose up, they are either flat or nose down. I'm not just trying to be contradictory, just watch the putts. He definitely does nose up when he does his longer jump putts, but his push putts from 35ish and in are flat to nose down, in my opinion. I had a hard time when I watched his video and he is saying to putt it slightly nose up and he is not necessarily doing this when he putts everytime.

EDIT: here is a video of Dave from youtube, all his push putts are flat, and come into the basket flat or nose down. I'm sorry but those pushes are not nose up like he was instructing in the video. The spin putts from far away definitely are nose up

I agree with whoever said it a few posts ago, the trick might be to watch a pro without listening to what they're saying and instead try to mimic what they're doing. It seems a little contradictory to learn that way but that, at the very least, takes everyone having a different anatomy and process of learning into consideration.

I personally don't see any of his putts being flat or nose down unless it's a downhill putt. It's kind of like watching some players throw a Roc. It looks like it is flying with hyzer, and you'd think it would be turning, but its actually flying straight. I see most of his putts as being very slightly nose up. Look at his pre shot routine and the nose orientation he's holding on his putters. You can tell he's thinking "anything but nose down", which is pretty much the point. You don't want a 45 degree angle at release, you want more of a 5 to 10 degree nose angle at release. A 5 degree nose angle at release will look like it was thrown flat…

mark12b said:
ya, his foot angle thing really helped my short-arm pitch putt, but trying to pitch it nose up just hasn't clicked at all. but, no worries as long comebacks aren't common for me anyway.
i was messing around with nose-up putts a little more, and finally figured out/remembered to move my release point counter clockwise a bit in order to push the nose up without affecting the rest of the throwing motion. works great. what wasn't working was trying to start out with the disc tilted upwards. i still aim to putt flat most of the time tho.

i was having trouble with the nose angle as well. ive had some frustrating practice sessions where i was hitting maybe 3 or 4/10 from 30 feet and all the other ones were banging off the front off the basket.

in the vid he says to have the disc in line with the arm, so how do you get the nose up? cheat with the wrist and angle it up slightly? the only other way i found to get some nose up is to release the disc above the shoulder plane that is parallel to the ground.

and to everyone that is struggling with this - keep practicing!! Its a difficult change to make. Ive only been working on this for a month or two, but its worth it! Most of my misses within 40 feet are now high or low. I dont blow past the basket anywhere near as much as I used to.

Also I changed my index finger position, from around the rim to having the thumbside edge pressed against the bottom of the rim. This made a HUGE difference. I'm still learning the accuracy but it has eliminated almost all of my 'wounded duck' throws.

GLong said:
in the vid he says to have the disc in line with the arm, so how do you get the nose up? cheat with the wrist and angle it up slightly?

This is exactly what I have to do in order to get the nose up. I just bend my wrist up slightly. I find that I'm able to get more spring or "push" like this as well. Seems counterproductive at first, but my putts are no longer flying nose down. I've also been able to step up my range with this technique. I'm glad I haven't given up on it yet.

pdorries said:
EKG said:
Feldberg also puts a lot of emphasis on nose up trajectories which I happen to fully agree with.

Watch 6:36 into that video, and you'll see some pretty dramatic nose up from Dave.

USAnarchy said:
The Trick to learning anything from a pro is to do as they do, and not as they say.

I'm discovering VERY quickly that this is as true in DG as it is in golf (I'm director of instructor development for a teaching system in golf).

I know this is an old thread, but this sentence bore repeating, I think.

It also depends on the pro how well they do what they preach. I'm not a pro so i have a hard time doing some things i preach at least at full power drives. Some of it is from injuries sustained after starting so i know how it felt before when i was able to pull it off and some things have been difficult always.