• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DD Marksmen

Rumor of it not being powder coated, etc. That puts up a red flag.

Gateway talks of their practice basket being galvanized.

Not sure on how to decipher quality between the two.

One thing I just thought of;

These baskets will let high putts in that would normally hit the top/ or band on a full sized basket. The top assembly is so much smaller than a standard basket, your putt gets a little extra room to drop. My innova mod still has a full sized top, so I can still get banded. Not sure if anyone cares but I figured I'd throw it out there.

One thing I just thought of;

These baskets will let high putts in that would normally hit the top/ or band on a full sized basket. The top assembly is so much smaller than a standard basket, your putt gets a little extra room to drop. My innova mod still has a full sized top, so I can still get banded. Not sure if anyone cares but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Good info. Thank you. :thmbup:

Ok, who has slammed some discs into this thing?

And also seen what it looks like in person. Could I sit this out in my backyard for a few years without it turning into an eye sore?

Ok, who has slammed some discs into this thing?

And also seen what it looks like in person. Could I sit this out in my backyard for a few years without it turning into an eye sore?

I will have mine Friday and be able to say more. I am gonna leave it in the backyard, too. Really looking forward to getting this thing.

looks awesome. i remember wanting to cop a gateway bullseye basket when i was looking for a practice basket, but it was significantly out of my price range. i wish this had existed back then, gonna have to tie the chains on my basket until i can find a good reason to grab one of these... such a great price point on this.
Yeah I'd been holding out forever using my Innova Discatcher Traveler for the past year when I wanted narrow target putting. I'm going to get this in the next few months.

I still am perplexed by the appeal of this small basket concept.
Why not just throw a disc at a 2x4?!
The high putt comment actually makes it even worse to me.

The basket looks legit thats not my point nor am i ripping anyone who bought etc keep your pants on. I love disc golf but don't get these at all. Its ONLY good for short range putting practice?

You're saying that I couldn't practice 30 to 40 footers with some success, let's say 50 percent or better on this basket?

Well, someone get out the vid cam and see what you can do.

Really, are these practice baskets that hard to hit and stay in?

The basket looks legit thats not my point nor am i ripping anyone who bought etc keep your pants on. I love disc golf but don't get these at all. Its ONLY good for short range putting practice?

As previously mentioned, I have a Gateway BullsEye basket and I really don't enjoy it.

It's construction is great but far more often I will head downstairs for a putting session on to quickly return upstairs after a few rough chain outs cause blinding rage.

It does "teach" you to aim for the sweet spot of the chains and have the disc on an angle that will drop it into the basket but otherwise... its nowhere near as useful as a full sized basket.

I've offered to let folks use it for tourney set ups only to be declined bc of its size.
It is still almost as heavy as a full size and its assembly time is the same.

I too really don't see a whole lot of reason for this type of basket to be popular. They just aren't all they're cracked up to be IMO.

Butttttt YMMV on these. Who knows, maybe I just suck and have a weak mental game that causes me to succumb to my own self pity.

I got to use one today and i loved it. I would say i was making about 40% from different distances. Towards the end inside of the circle I was hitting about 6-8 out of 10 In my opinion as long as you hit middle it stayed in almost as much as a regular basket. The main thing is not to compare it to a regular basket. When you miss and you will miss you cant think "i would have made that putt on a regular basket".

Last edited:
As previously mentioned, I have a Gateway BullsEye basket and I really don't enjoy it.

It's construction is great but far more often I will head downstairs for a putting session on to quickly return upstairs after a few rough chain outs cause blinding rage.

Lol, do you loose strokes on your card mates when your practice putts don't stick? Then why is that a big deal? If you hit your spot and it doesn't stick it's no different the a full sized basket; you still did your job regardless of the outcome

Because it makes you better? My best putting in my disc golf career was from 2009-2011, when I putted daily on a "basket" that was basically nothing but a pole and a tray. I think you had about a 2" profile to aim at on that joker. Frustrating? Hell yeah. But I got a lot better really fast.

You're saying that I couldn't practice 30 to 40 footers with some success, let's say 50 percent or better on this basket?

YOU probably could. I'm not a great long range putter tho, so it gets pretty frustrating quickly. Its hard to stay focused and on task for me during practice when I can only make like 15% of my putts. And I'm not really talking 30-40 footers, more like 40 and out. Such a stinking small profile.

Aside from that, IMHO 99% of Ams would be better served if they practiced 20-30 footers 80-99% of the time. I see so many players on the course that don't warm up or practice anything inside of 30 and then are shocked when they miss inside the circle.

They really should sell just the top part of the basket as well,just the chain and band assembly. Enough people already have a DD Basket and you could easily just swap out the band and chains for the smaller ones when you want to putt.

Got my Marksman last night. Here's a quick brain dump style review with comparison to the GDS Bullseye basket.

I was surprised to see that the metal is thicker gauge than what I expected. The base, basket, and top are all the same metal, and all the welds look sturdy and clean. The band is as thick or more thick than a Discatcher. The chains seem to be standard, and were not noticeably heavy or especially thin. One of the s-hooks was not attached to the top of the basket upon arrival, but that's a VERY minor and easy fix. The color of the entire basket is "gunmetal grey", and it looks clean and sharp.

The basket goes together using 4 screws and the provided allen wrenches. Three of the included screws are one size in length, and the fourth screw, for the middle of the basket, is slightly shorter. After the screws are nice and tight there's also 4 small (1/4") set screws that prevent the basket from having any slight wobble where the pieces connect...a nice touch not seen on similar baskets in this price range. I'm not sure how those set screws translate in to the portability of this basket, as I have yet to dismantle the basket to move it anywhere. I'd imagine that those set screws would have to be slightly loosened each time to allow the center pole(s) to be removed. This is important to note, because the set screws and main screws require two different size allen wrenches.

The basket catches great considering the size of the target. Sure, there are times when putts would have stuck but the Marksman spit them out. That just means that youre not hitting center chains, which this basket obviously puts a premium on. Putts slightly off center will often end up in the basket as well. There were times when putts that I know would have hit right side chains on a normal basket completely airballed on the Marksman, sailing 10' deep. There was also a couple of stronger putts (<30') that hit dead center, smacked the center pole and bounced out. These couple things happen with all baskets, but slightly more frequency on the Marksman.

In comparison to the Gateway Bullseye basket, I would say that the Marksman is nearly identical with subtle differences. The s-hooks on the Bullseye connect directly to the band, where as on the Marksman they connect to the top of the basket just inside the band. The actual basket/cage on the Marksman seems to be slightly taller than the Bullseye. The Bullseye definitely goes together MUCH easier than the Marksman, but the Bullseye is subject to the aforementioned wobble where the poles are connected to the basket, top, and base. The Bullseye seems to have slightly thicker gauge metal than the Marksman. Also, the Bullseye basket is available in poweder-coated or Galvanized finishes, while with the Marksman you get Gunmetal Grey, and who knows if it's rust resistant.

The Bullseye basket retails for around $50 more than the Marksman, and in my eyes is not worth the extra $50. Go with the Marksman if you can keep it out of the rain.

Last edited:
They really should sell just the top part of the basket as well,just the chain and band assembly. Enough people already have a DD Basket and you could easily just swap out the band and chains for the smaller ones when you want to putt.
I should also add that the Marksman seems to be of better quality materials and better/improved general design when compared to the DD Recruit (1st gen) and Westside Black baskets, both of which I have extensive experience using, assembling, disassembling, and transporting.