• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definition of the word Stable

Stable

• Total voters
Whew. Glad we got that resolved. Now we can finally put it behind us and move forward in a cyclical fashion. See yinz back here in a month or so.

Patent Pending has significant historical significance in our sport. I believe that it involved a controversy between The Champ and Barry over who created that type of throw. The historical experts can correct me as needed.

So, to me, Patent Pending is good to use for that reason. :)

It's vaguely like "a can of corn" in baseball. Without context, it doesn't make sense. But for those who know, it's just part of the game and, potentially, entertaining.

What is par?

Here is a worthless attempt to give a serious answer to the debated par question.

Now that we have the statistics provided by UDisc, I propose that we set par at the average strokes taken on any given layout by the highest division to play it in a tournament situation. Wait for it...
Including par 2.

While I agree that disc golf is it's own game and should not be compared directly to golf, 18 under par flies in the face of what par means. Par 2 and lower pars in general would correct this diversion.

Patent Pending has significant historical significance in our sport. I believe that it involved a controversy between The Champ and Barry over who created that type of throw. The historical experts can correct me as needed.

So, to me, Patent Pending is good to use for that reason. :)

It's vaguely like "a can of corn" in baseball. Without context, it doesn't make sense. But for those who know, it's just part of the game and, potentially, entertaining.

I know the story to which you refer but that story, while entertaining, is ridiculous. The stance has been used by freestyle, ultimate throwers and the like since the frisbee was born. It is silly to suggest that one of them or Valarie Jenkins was the first to use it.

I know the story to which you refer but that story, while entertaining, is ridiculous. The stance has been used by freestyle, ultimate throwers and the like since the frisbee was born. It is silly to suggest that one of them or Valarie Jenkins was the first to use it.

I can't disagree. But it's memorable. Whether silly or not, it has left a mark on the game. That's all. :)

Agreed, Goofy Foot is pretty silly. Just putting it out there ;-). Disc Golfers love their silly lingo. I would personally prefer Switch Stance, Reverse Straddle sounds good too, but Patent Pending does nothing to describe the situation.

Pretty sure "goofy foot" was borrowed from skateboarding. I remember first hearing it back in the 90's in regards to how somebody stood or pushed off when skateboarding. Skaters and their silly lingo I guess. :D

I almost started this thread. Calling overstable discs stable is one of my pet peeves. Another is referring to disc fade as hyzer. Some of the things I hear disc golfers say that drive me crazy:

"That disc needs to stable up."
"It looked good out of his hand, but it hyzered out early."

I cringe at that stuff. When I'm playing with friends, I don't correct people, but I try to always use the right terms. "I needed that disc to fade," for instance. And I do notice my friends have started to follow suit.

It's all one spectrum - a "stable" disc is one in the middle of the spectrum (for you, the person describing the disc, as it's all relative to form and armspeed).

Understable is on one end of the spectrum and means there is not enough HSS to stand up to the forces acting on the disc causing it to turn in the high speed portion of the flight. It might have the LSS to fade back at the end, or it might not.

A "stable" disc is one that both A. does not turn in the HSS portion of the flight and B. has relatively little LSS at the end, allowing it to fly and end straightish.

An overstable disc is one that not only resists the turn in the HSS portion of the flight (for your or most arms), but also has strong LSS that kicks in early and hard.

My opinion - if I say a disc is "stable" I mean straight. If I say it's "really stable" or overstable, I mean that it sits on the overstable side of the spectrum, like it's redshifted on the spectrum of visible light.

Agreed, Goofy Foot is pretty silly. Just putting it out there ;-). Disc Golfers love their silly lingo. I would personally prefer Switch Stance, Reverse Straddle sounds good too, but Patent Pending does nothing to describe the situation.

Let's name it Ron Russell Stance!

... or no, I think he puts his front foot to the mini, not his back foot ... so we rather should call it Other Foot Ron Russell Stance. ;-)

Huh. I guess no one around here ever bothered to name that.

The way I heard the story that's exactly what happened.

When the stance was first seen by someone they asked what kind of shot it was called, since it had no name at the time the person replied "patent pending".

Patent Pending is very descriptive. When the disc inevitably lands upside down, you can read the words Patent Pending on the bottom of the disc.

Huh. I guess no one around here ever bothered to name that.

Around WI about 15-20 years ago we were calling it the "Hokey Pokey"

The Carolina Boys (Schwebby. Crump and McRae) tried call it the "Barry Schultz" because at the time he threw it better than the rest. He told them it was the "Hokey Pokey"

If you don't know Hokey Pokey you clearly have not been to a wedding reception in the midwest.

Here is a worthless attempt to give a serious answer to the debated par question.

Now that we have the statistics provided by UDisc, I propose that we set par at the average strokes taken on any given layout by the highest division to play it in a tournament situation. Wait for it...
Including par 2.

While I agree that disc golf is it's own game and should not be compared directly to golf, 18 under par flies in the face of what par means. Par 2 and lower pars in general would correct this diversion.

My thought as in the 2000's starting in 2003 but more seeing in 2005 that some tournament courses had to get updated for the newer discs mostly longer drivers in the 10 and 11 categories and due to the better play of the courses due to the specific training for Disc Golf got a lot better then it was. My thought since then is to eliminate the par altogether.

Last edited:
Around WI about 15-20 years ago we were calling it the "Hokey Pokey"

The Carolina Boys (Schwebby. Crump and McRae) tried call it the "Barry Schultz" because at the time he threw it better than the rest. He told them it was the "Hokey Pokey"

If you don't know Hokey Pokey you clearly have not been to a wedding reception in the midwest.

In South Dakota it was the Ass Backwards throw at the same time, that or Bass Ackwards.

Stable to me means the disc angle won't deviate from the release angle through its flight. If you throw a hyzer, it will hold a hyzer. If you throw flat, it will hold flat, etc.

^^^^ That. As in it STAYS on the line you put it -- aka "stable."

Won't it be "Ass Forwards"...….

No the Ass is backwards from a normal backhand/forehand throw, therefore that is why it is a Ass Backwards or Bass Ackwards as it was called in South Dakota up till just before Patent Pending took hold. There was a Fishing shirt that said Bass Ackwards on it that was popular at the time.

Latest posts