• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

I picked up a pair of these because of the "cheap Merrell's at Cabella's" thread, and they're working out great. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bought them initially for the $120 msrp, but I might replace them at that price if I ever wear them out. They're waterproof, warm, and have grippy soles. Great kicks.
Merrell Reflex Mid
image003.jpg

I picked them up as well!! I've been pretty pleased with them, and have used them in some nasty conditions so far.

Hello, I'm a confirmed foot dragger too.
Left foot, inside front edge, near my big toe, always gets grated down over time like fresh parmesan cheese.

I hike and run, so I have alot of sports shoes. I used to wear the Merrells, but the curved up heels on the Vibram soles would cause me to roll my ankles, so I stopped buying them.

It doesnt matter what you buy, unless is has a specific hard plate built in where you drag your foot, like the lead plate on a motorcycle racers knee for cornering.
Since this is also my pivot point, I think it would cause a dangerous sliding if there was a hard plate there. Probably glide right off the end of the tee like Gumby.

So I just use my retired trail runners and street runners, and chew through a pair or two each year, but I think thats the price you pay for your sport, so I just roll with it.

I must say I think I've only dragged my foot a few times. I have no problem with having my foot up when I forehand. I wish this winter weather would leave though so that disc golf can start up again and I can use my Gore-tex MOABs some more.

That black stuff that extends along the front from the side across the toe doesn't look like rubber or hard leather. I think that's going to be a weak point. Also, nothing along the back of the heel. If you play in any wooded, rocky, or inclined areas I think this is just going to be marginally better than a sneaker.

I got these but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I'm horrible to fit (sneaker, shoes, boots). Once I find something though I keep with it until they discontinue. Heck, I'm on my 5th pair of the same sneakers.

Nevado Solo $45 at Famous Footwear

shoes_ia75276.jpg

That black stuff that extends along the front from the side across the toe doesn't look like rubber or hard leather. I think that's going to be a weak point. Also, nothing along the back of the heel. If you play in any wooded, rocky, or inclined areas I think this is just going to be marginally better than a sneaker.

Was that regarding the Meronas?

True, I'm going to Iowa next week, and I'm looking for something Warm, Dry, and inexpensive. Usually 3 words that don't go together! lol

I'll 2nd (or 50th really) the Merrell... I used to use skater type shoes but since I got the Merrell I've nvr been happier. They even hold up in the snow like nothing else. Awesome tread, they look great, feel great and keep traction... what more could you ask for!

I bought some "HI-Tec" hiking boots (leather upper)with a Vibram sole. They ran me about $180. They are moderately light weight, excellent traction, and completely waterproof due to a leather treatment called "Ion Mask" technology. (apparently used by the British Military. why not US of A's??). Aaanyway, they are sSuper comfortable- as comfortable as any new balance sneaker I've ever worn. Not only do I typically go to the NB's for a wide foot, but I bought some bargain boots last winter and they gave me plantar fasciaitis which is an excruciating foot pain (inflamation). So these helped with that a lot.

I can stand in 4-5 inches of water with them- I also used them for our Icebowl this year- which for Buffalo = 2ft of snow. I did get wet that day, but I'll be getting some gators for next year and they should fix the problem.

My home course is extreme in it's traction requirements. 40 foot or so elevation changes- shale creek with a 40 cliff and they put the baskets within feet of the edge. It gets feet of snow in winter, 6 inches of mud in spring and fall, no concrete tees anywhere. I'd say I play 2-3 times per week and I've had them for 9 months or so. \

great boot! looking to get the Keen low top waterproof trail running shoe next!- $115

I've been using my MOABs with the gore-tex, and I'm loving them. I can't say they are any more comfortable than other shoes, except for they don't have the plastic thing that was poking my heal that the NB's I had had. I don't know if it was just my luck or the style of NB shoes I'd buy, but those things inner heel would always die on me. The MOABs with gore-tex work great, even during that part of the late winter where all the snow and all the rain was too much for the land to soak up. That gore-tex has been doing its job and keeping my feet dry. I guess I have been treating these nicer than my past shoes mostly because they are expensive, actually tying them instead of slipping into them :p.

Just got my Keen low top trail running shoes today. amazing traction, gore-tex breathable water-proof uppers, totally cushioned insoles. I wore them to the clean-up day at our local course- this included dredging a clogged up creek- totaly waterproof up to the top. I was the only one with warm, dry feet. Later that day I switched from slip-on lounge shoes to the keens- the keens are more comfortable. a great investment.:clap:

Love my Keen Targhee Mid IIs! Best foot support and comfort.

I went to Target to look at some cheap shoes and found out they use cardboard for the footbed! Yikes!

Been rocking the Merrell Ottawas. Light weight and very breathable, which makes them not water proof at all. Great Summer shoes, but when Winter comes I'm going to have to make some changes.

Anyone else with goretex MOABs find them to get rather cold in the winter. I forget who but someone said that they used these sleeve like things to stay dry in winter which go over the shoes/pant legs with their MOABs. My feet tend to get cold and stay cold for a decent amount of time even when I'm not out for that long. Obviously not the greatest choice for winter since goretex does advertise being breathable, but when I was trying the normal MOABs on in store they were rather more comfortable(more padded feeling, very soft) and felt like they breath a lot more.

I want to say my Bites have been awesome (even though I had to modify for toe draggedness).

We had 6" of snow...dry feet, mud...dry feet, morning dew....whatever, step in creek to get disc...dry feet.

Awesome.

The best kind of Disc Golf shoe is the Juke Shoe. :| :|

:rolleyes: