• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

Yeah New Balance were great until I'd shred through the inner heel's of them. Plus the two pairs I did that to had a plastic heel cup thing that if bent or cracked or whatever would poke into me. My new Merrell Moab Gore-tex XCR's feel so solid. And now feel pretty nice, it's not crazily epic compared to my old NB, but they feel good and hopefully last long(seem to have more padding in the heel too).

I just picked up a pair of the Merrell Moab Gore-Tex shoes for 95$ the day on Tuesday, now the stores having a storewide sale the next 3 days.:wall:

Yea, I've been trying them out the last few days, and I love them so far. They keep my feet dry and happy.

Yeah same, though the first day was more like that weird transition into new shoes that aren't exactly the same.

I just picked up a pair of the Merrell Moab Gore-Tex shoes for 95$ the day on Tuesday, now the stores having a storewide sale the next 3 days.:wall:

i went to blackfriday at dicks sports... all merrells were excluded from sale... i learned this after 30 minutes trying shoes on and then 30 minutes standing in line. :wall:

i went to blackfriday at dicks sports... all merrells were excluded from sale... i learned this after 30 minutes trying shoes on and then 30 minutes standing in line. :wall:

Black Friday...ewwww! If I went to a store on Black Friday I'd kill someone I think.

I have been playing in tennis shoes since I can remember. I finally decided it was a bad idea after having my socks soaked after a couple of holes. I bought a pair of waterproof hiking shoes so hopefully those will keep my feet nice and dry :)

I have a pair of the Merrell Moab Ventilators and I think they're great. But sometimes, I think it would be nice if I had bought the waterproof version. Has anyone tried wearing waterproof socks with a not so waterproof shoe. I've been thinking of trying this rather than buying a second pair of shoes. I figured I'd ask if anyone has had any experience with this before I spent $40 on a pair of socks.

My apologies for coming into the definitive shoe thread and asking about socks.

I have a pair of the Merrell Moab Ventilators and I think they're great. But sometimes, I think it would be nice if I had bought the waterproof version. Has anyone tried wearing waterproof socks with a not so waterproof shoe. I've been thinking of trying this rather than buying a second pair of shoes. I figured I'd ask if anyone has had any experience with this before I spent $40 on a pair of socks.

I bought some of the waterproofing stuff in a spaycan for mine but havn't applied it yet. I was also looking into some waterproof socks as well though and was wondering the same thing.

Vasque Synergist

Just played my first round with my new Vasque Synergist Gore-Tex shoes. They are comfortable and kept me dry. They were $135 so they will have to last a long time to pay for themsleves, but they feel good so far. But after tearing up a pair of Keen's in a month and a pair of Merrell's in about 3 months I am willing to try anything.

I know several people who swear by the GoreTex waterproof socks.

Well It would suck to have your vents get all nasty and just have waterproof socks. I'd say if you end up thinking about spending $40 on a pair of socks just get some cheap shoes that should be able to go through mud and water and not get too wet at least. My old NB(black leather) would have been nice today...Way too muddy, which I didn't expect at all. Or if you want something that will last get a different pair that will work for crazy rainy or muddy days. Personally I'd rather not get shoes soaked in nasty water and have water proof socks under because then you just make your shoes a mess.(I'd rather have waterproof shoes)

Here's my shoe situation right now.

I've got some lightweight, low cut, well ventilated hiking shoes that are GREAT...for dry days in the summer. I got them for like $25 and I used them for a little over a month before it got to be too wet.

I've been using my older pair of Addidas SS2Gs http://www.zappos.com/adidas-ss-2g-white-black-white They're great on dry dirt, dry grass or a cement tee pad...but they're terrible in even the smallest amount of slick mud on a tee. Plus I've water proofed them so many times over the years they don't get wet unless water comes up over the sides.

When it gets to be really cold or really muddy outside I could wear my Timberland PRO boots I think they're like the ones on this page: http://www.zappos.com/timberland-pro-6-pit-boss-steel-toe-gaucho-oiled-full-grain-leather They're got the titanium toe etc. So not exactly light on the feet, but they'll keep you warm and dry. So I needed something to split the difference.

Something that I can wear when the tee pads aren't going to always be dry, and something to keep my feet a little warmer...I wanted a pair of Merrills that I saw (can't think of what they're called....but they didn't have anything over size 12! (at least 1 size too small, probably 2 sizes too small) and they were $105!

I looked around until I found a similar pair of Timberland boots called Conway Trail and they were pretty nice, had a size 14 that fit well and only cost $63. They're like this in dark gray http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Conway-Trail-Hiker-Boot/dp/B000UCCQCI I have yet to take them out to the course...because I bought them 3 hours ago...but I'll let you guys know how they work for me!

\/\/

How often do you play? For the money you are paying for those shows, they seem to wear out pretty fast. I mean they are bad ass looking shoes, but for that kind of money, they better last me a while.

I play quite a bit. I've logged close to 650 rounds in the last 16 months.

Adidas Sambas. Used them all summer long and no sign of wear. Nice hard sole especially the pivot point on the ball of the foot. The heel is very nice for hills etc, nice grabby surface.

samba.jpg

I love playing in these, but they are not waterproof. The grip is pretty good, but it's a gum sole which means they wear out after about a year. The good news is you can grab them for a lot cheaper than all of these other options. (around $40 or sometimes less). Gazelles are about the same just a different look.

So I broke down and and ordered the Keen Milo. Very expensive. I hope I get close to what I paid for.

I have a tourney this weekend and some beat up NewBalances, and it may rain.

That was my excuse for ordering.

If you got em tell me about em.

Nothing has ever come close to NB's comfort for me, durability is another issue.

How about comfort? Do they feel like your walking on clouds?

Last edited:
My boots say they are waterproof, but after a round in light to medium rain, walking through puddles and standing water, my feet did get wet. Anyone have any shoes that no matter what , you feet stay dry?

I wore rubber overshoes in the army that were totally waterproof. They didn't let your feet breathe at all though, bad for the feet. I think the best option is something with gore-tex regularly sprayed with a silicone (assuming synthetic shoe/hybrid) waterproofing

I have my boots in front of the heater right now drying them out.

Drying footwear with a heater or by a fire is a great way to ruin them, it's very hard on the materials, can make adhesives crack and seams to split. Better to remove any insoles, if they have a liner/sock you can invert then pull that out and let them air dry with a fan blowing on them. It's slow, but worth not ruining good shoes.

I picked up a pair of these because of the "cheap Merrell's at Cabella's" thread, and they're working out great. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bought them initially for the $120 msrp, but I might replace them at that price if I ever wear them out. They're waterproof, warm, and have grippy soles. Great kicks.
Merrell Reflex Mid
image003.jpg

I tore through 2 pairs of Nikes and 1 pair of Saucony tennis shoes last summer...then I got a pair of Merrell hiking boots. I forehand a lot and drag the toe on my right foot and tear those to pieces.
The Merrells with Vibram soles still look brand new! I plan on getting a pair of the Moabs to play with during the summer as well.
FYI - if you have Sports Authority near you, for like $10 they insure all of their footwear for up to a year...even if you tear out the toes playing DG...I asked the guy at the store thoroughly and ultimately that's why I decided on the Merrells...