• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Denver, Thanksgiving conditions?

TheWCG

* Ace Member *
How well does the area play during Thanksgiving weekend on average? I'm toying around with the idea of heading out but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. Obviously I'd like to play some quality stuff (3.5+). Any help from locals would be much appreciated!!:thmbup:

The courses on the front range (Denver, Ft. Collins, CO springs) should all be open. The weather could be sunny/warm or snowy. You never know out here. Most of the mountain courses will be pulled. Beaver Ranch in Conifer and Phantom Falls in Pine will probably still be open. Check Mile High Disc golf for current happenings. I know they run Winter Warriors every Saturday morning at a different course each week. Its random draw dubs with double birdies. $5 to play which is donated to Food Bank of the Rockies. lots of fun and helps out a good cause.

Having grown up there, you could be anything from about 20 to 70 degrees on Thanksgiving. Honestly, Martin's prediction could be pretty close!

Having lived there for 4 years, I agree 100% with agapedad, anything is possible. General misconception is that Colorado is covered in snow as some people associate the rockies with Colorado. But I have been there when it was 65 and sunny in Denver and you could drive less than an hour to the mountains and walk in snow 12"deep. Generally speaking, Denver sees way less snow than the mountain towns. But weather conditions there can change in a minute. Best of luck!

I was there on business last week, and it was sucky. 40 and rainy when I landed, then turned to snow and low 30s. I had two discs with me just in case, but they stayed in the luggage.

I hope to get back sometime when the weather is better.

If the mountain courses are closed, you might get someone to meet you at Colorado Highlands University course, or if you can manage driving 25 minutes south of Denver, to my home course, Jellystone at Larkspur; a very unique terrain course ($5 to play, no crowds). Plenty of folks would be glad to show you around there. Down in Colorado Springs, see if you can get on the course at Sakuna Pines in Black Forest, a brutal private course run by a Christian camp that doesn't allow any trees to be cut, but it's icy if there has been snow. Best of luck, and here's hoping for sunny and 55!

Put it this way, last November, a buddy and I played well over 300 holes throughout the month. Thanksgivng weekend, the Winter Warriors series will be playing at Jellystone that Saturday morning at 9 am. If you get a chance, I would recommend the WW because we play no matter what and as mentioned above, it's for a great cause. This past weekend, the club raised $1130, which is fantastic!

If the mountain courses are closed, you might get someone to meet you at Colorado Highlands University course, or if you can manage driving 25 minutes south of Denver, to my home course, Jellystone at Larkspur; a very unique terrain course ($5 to play, no crowds). Plenty of folks would be glad to show you around there. Down in Colorado Springs, see if you can get on the course at Sakuna Pines in Black Forest, a brutal private course run by a Christian camp that doesn't allow any trees to be cut, but it's icy if there has been snow. Best of luck, and here's hoping for sunny and 55!

Has Sakuna been opened again? It was on my wishlist earlier this year and I was hoping to convince a club member to let me on. It was pulled earlier this summer.

You get here, let me know. It's way more of a pain now to get onto Sakuna, but it's still doable. And everyone is right on the weather, It's supposed to be 75 today and mid 30 this weekend, then probably back up to the 50's or 60's. It's a crap shoot really. If you want to throw Jellystone, let me know, I don't mind being a guide. :)

Has Sakuna been opened again? It was on my wishlist earlier this year and I was hoping to convince a club member to let me on. It was pulled earlier this summer.

It was just locked up, very close to being pulled. and do to some very tense negotiations it is open on a very limited use policy. Personally it's so much of a pain in the ass to play that I haven't been there in a couple of months.

Sweet!:thmbup: I'm gonna need some help out that way.:hfive:

Fishy and i play a lot together, so i'll be glad to tag along at Jellystone (I always make other players look better), and it's nice to have someone to help look for discs in the scrub oak. At Sakuna, you have to register at the camp office these days and provide your contact info so they know who has been on the course.

Denver is a go for Friday and possibly Saturday. I got word from Fishy that conifer might be able to play due to no snow in the area? If that's the case, I wanna play it! If anybody is available and could be a guide for the area, let me know!? Send me a PM. Thanks!

We have a 5 dollar tourney at Jellystone on Saturday. All proceeds go to the Food Bank of the Rockies...always a good time!