• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Destroyer vs. Sword vs. Trespass vs. Scorpius vs. Outlaw

ILUVSMGS18

Just Another Disc Hoarder
As I keep finding ridiculously OS Destroyers, I don't want to pay $25+ for an AJ Star, and I can't search for the E-DS that I want locally, I'm looking for a possible replacement. I've heard good things about the Westside Sword, DD Trespass, Millenium Scorpius, and Legacy's Outlaw. I was trying to find a Trilogy thrower who had a Trespass or a Sword but came up empty, though I was recommended the DD Defender, but that has too wide of a rim for my hands of which a Destroyer fits well (FYI the Tern/DDx are the right rim size but too shallow). I found a Trespass vs Destroyer thread but nothing else related to my question, plus that thread is almost 2 years (and many runs) old. Has anyone out there thrown all or at least some of them? I typically can get my beat-to-Hades Pro DS out to 300' though one of my Echo Stars was getting close to 400' before I lost it (I have to back off on the Pro in order to avoid a cut roller/turn-n-burn).

Don't have much experience with trespass or outlaws, but I've thrown the others. The sword for me (VIP) has less fade, and more turn than the destroyer I have. Scorpius are pretty similar but feel a little deeper than a destroyer to me. Quantum scorpius has more turn and less fade than a destroyer, and a bit more turn than my sword. S-scorpius have some turn, more than my destroyer but not as much as the quantum or the sword, and about the same fade.

I throw a quantum and Sirius scorpius. It's a really good combo I think. The sword is good too, but I found it more sensitive to release angles, specifically nose angle, for me.

Photon :D

I've tried Destroyers, Swords and the Trespass.

Destroyers are all over the place, which is why I dropped them. One of the most inconsistent molds I've bagged. When you find a good flat star Destroyer they're one of the best distance drivers on the market, but good luck getting a stack of them for field work that all fly the same.

Swords I had the same issue with, plus they tended to fly more neutral over all so they didn't cycle as well as Destroyers.

Trespass I only briefly flirted with. I threw a first run and a stock run, the latter from the first year they were on the market. They absolutely bomb, they have great glide, but like Swords I never found any that were as OS as I wanted for it to fill my primary distance driver slot and be able to cycle them.

Quasars is where I ended up for a while. They had consistency issues too, my FR had high speed turn when new, all my others did not. Like Destroyers they typically start out beefy and season nicely, so I ran a cycle of 3 or 4 Quasars for a long time. Never tried the Scorpius, always wanted to....Quasars and other drivers that wide aren't as comfy for me as discs with a Destroyer wing width.

Photons are much more consistent than these molds in my experience. The heavy ones start out beefy, and they're always flat, just like the good Destroyers. Unlike Destroyers I can blindly order them online and know exactly what I'm doing to get, no vulcan wings here. The Fission Photons go down to the 130's and crush in a tailwind, and can help cover an array of lines until you beat in a heavier one.

For reference I was throwing these molds in the 500-550' range BH, 420-470' range FH.

Photon :D

I've tried Destroyers, Swords and the Trespass.

Destroyers are all over the place, which is why I dropped them. One of the most inconsistent molds I've bagged. When you find a good flat star Destroyer they're one of the best distance drivers on the market, but good luck getting a stack of them for field work that all fly the same.

Swords I had the same issue with, plus they tended to fly more neutral over all so they didn't cycle as well as Destroyers.

Trespass I only briefly flirted with. I threw a first run and a stock run, the latter from the first year they were on the market. They absolutely bomb, they have great glide, but like Swords I never found any that were as OS as I wanted for it to fill my primary distance driver slot and be able to cycle them.

Quasars is where I ended up for a while. They had consistency issues too, my FR had high speed turn when new, all my others did not. Like Destroyers they typically start out beefy and season nicely, so I ran a cycle of 3 or 4 Quasars for a long time. Never tried the Scorpius, always wanted to....Quasars and other drivers that wide aren't as comfy for me as discs with a Destroyer wing width.

Photons are much more consistent than these molds in my experience. The heavy ones start out beefy, and they're always flat, just like the good Destroyers. Unlike Destroyers I can blindly order them online and know exactly what I'm doing to get, no vulcan wings here. The Fission Photons go down to the 130's and crush in a tailwind, and can help cover an array of lines until you beat in a heavier one.

For reference I was throwing these molds in the 500-550' range BH, 420-470' range FH.

I've tried multiple overmold drivers and have had issues releasing the discs nose up, and I fear that the Photon will do the same as well as being too shallow rimmed.

I like lightweight icon outlaws. They beat in slowly and then hold the sweet spot for a long time. A fresh lightweight icon can be compared to a beat star destroyer. When they beat in, they gain a little turn and lose a little fade but not much. You won't be turning it over or turning it into a roller any time soon.

I've tried swords and trespasses but they don't hold up to a headwind like I like them to. Just a little too neutral for me.

The photon is a good disc. It resembles a destroyer with less glide.

I haven't thrown a scorpius.

I use the Sword for my understable distance driver, but it still requires some work. It doesnt turn over automatically. Still,the only way you'd be able to get it to fly similar to the others would be a max weight VIP on a hyzer flip. Swords, in my experience, are just as inconsistent as Destroyers. Pop Tops, domey, flat...all over the board.

Trespass would probably be the closest analogue but Ive only ever thrown the BioFuzion, and then just messing around. Seemed like a Destroyer to me though.

What do you want this disc to do?

I've thrown Swords and Trespasses and Destroyers. Destros if you're wanting one mold to do a lot b/c they run the gamut like Mike C said above I think (I'm drunk). Trespasses are like a mellow Destroyer with nice glide. They're not tremendously long (Trilogy has some drivers that are effortlessly longer) but they are solid straight to fade rangers (The Fuzions can develop some significant turn though). If you drivers you can huck hard and have them big S-curve and eventually come back, Trespasses are a good mold for you. My C-DDx's are similar but way more stubbornly HSS. I have one Fuzion Trespass that is really beefy though.

I love Swords (VIP Swords to be exact). Great feeling rims that feel narrower than their supposed speed class. They're so easy to throw straight if you're pretty clean, even if they break in you just give them some token hyzer and send them out there. They're more Wraith-like than Destroyer like but for your distance I'd give them a look. For as fast a driver it is, it's straightness is really remarkable in terms of being a neutral to slightly overstablish driver.

I want the disc to have some turn but still fade back slightly left of center (RHBH) as the holes that I would be using it on have OB on the right if you griplock/turn-n-burn, but it also has a fairly dense forest on the left with a 35ish foot fairway to work with. My current options on the hole are to risk throwing OB with my FD/P-PD/Pro Destroyer or to risk ending up in the woods with my ORC/Thunderbird/McStar Destroyer, though I have the even riskier option of my Flex FH with my C-PD. It will also have to be able to hold an anny for 2/3 of its flight without cut rolling. Being an all out distance bomber even into a moderate (5-10 MPH) headwind. Easy availability as well as multiple plastic choices including a Pro type plastic would be preferred though an Echo Star type would work as well.

I want the disc to have some turn but still fade back slightly left of center (RHBH) as the holes that I would be using it on have OB on the right if you griplock/turn-n-burn, but it also has a fairly dense forest on the left with a 35ish foot fairway to work with. My current options on the hole are to risk throwing OB with my FD/P-PD/Pro Destroyer or to risk ending up in the woods with my ORC/Thunderbird/McStar Destroyer, though I have the even riskier option of my Flex FH with my C-PD. It will also have to be able to hold an anny for 2/3 of its flight without cut rolling. Being an all out distance bomber even into a moderate (5-10 MPH) headwind. Easy availability as well as multiple plastic choices including a Pro type plastic would be preferred though an Echo Star type would work as well.

That's tough. Of the four you've mentioned (I haven't thrown an Outlaw or Scorpius) this sounds the most like the Trespass. The pro type plastic is where it gets muddled for me. To get this type of flight in pro or DX type of plastic generally the best you can do is start with something demonstratively overstable like a Firebird and beat the bejeezus out of it. The recycled GL Giants sound a lot what you're looking for but readily available?

Thrown them all.

Do yourself a favor and get a MVP OCTANE.

(Photon if you don't like domey)

With a 35' wide landing zone with hazards on either side I'd probably reach for something a touch slower with more control.

Are these holes that you could throw wide right over the OB and play a predictable hyzer route?

Thrown them all.

Do yourself a favor and get a MVP OCTANE.

(Photon if you don't like domey)

Fanboy��

I did like the stability of ur octane. Def should be in consideration.

Getting away from Innova will help with consistency for sure.

Last edited:
While mike has a beast arm, I do not. I love my fission and neutron photons. I can throw them accurately and actually use them for anything beyond what my buzzz and ions can handle. Anything from 270-350. I have had nose up problems with other MVP drivers as well, and threw trespasses, swords, destroyers in this slot and the photons are far and away the best choice.

my bag is super mixed, but photons haven't been changed in a long while now.

Thrown them all as well. VIP swords are the more stable than tournament but definitely get a bit flippy and no two swords are the exact same, they bomb so easily though. I bag a number of trespasses now in the various plastics. I had a great opto trespass that flew beautiful, then it broke in and now is a bit on the flippy side. The trespass I love the most though are the bio fuzion ones. The ones I've had have maintained their stability and have more glide than any of the other plastics. Outlaws are great discs as well but if you aren't familiar with legacy and don't know the variants of stabilities: such as color,plastic,run, etc. You may have to try a few before you land on one that suits you.
Also like a few others have suggested the photon I'm a huge fan of those as well as the Axiom Defy. I bag a 156 defy and its more beefy than my photons. At that weight I can do some wicked hyzer bombs and it also fights the wind surprisingly well.

Yes the OB on the right side is a road (Holes 17&18 @ Cadyville DGC), the course designer recommended that I try a Scorpius but I haven't seen him since October (he's not too big a fan of playing in the snow).
I had a Plasma Tesla and it was very nose sensitive, though it did make a great OH disc, which is why I have tried to stick to single piece discs.
I hadn't considered the Hurricane, but the only place I can find them (at least locally) is closed until the spring.
The Hurricane and Octane have rims that are bigger than I would like to throw (at least according to the PDGA's measurements).

Latest posts