• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dg burnout

schrot42

So I've been playing the game for about 3 years. I've done well in tournaments in advanced division in years past. This year I've been doing terrible. Last weekend decided to play intermediate and got last place... I guess my question is do any of you guys get burnt out and what have you done to change it? I'm sure my mental game could use some work as well any tips to help me out?

I've been there, multiple times.

A couple things I've found that help:

Take a Break

Sometimes it can help to just step back and focus on other things for a little bit. For me, that usually happens fairly naturally in the winter. When spring comes around, I'm re-energized and ready to hit the course again.

Make it Fun Again

Competition is a great way to motivate and drive us to improve our game, but too much of that can turn disc golf into more of a chore, inducing stress when we don't perform to our expectations. It sounds like this is the point you've reached. So step back and remember that you play the game because it's fun.

Play a few casual rounds without worrying about how well you shoot, just have some fun with it. It can be hard, because every bad tree hit or missed putt can continue to grate on you. But I've found a couple of good ways to combat that. The first is to use a bag of alternate discs. Leave your tourney set-up at home and head out with a bunch of discs you're not familiar with. This helps to lower your expectations and focus on learning the discs rather than scoring your best. If you don't have enough extra discs for that, try playing new courses. Again, it changes your focus so that you worry more about learning the course than shooting well.

The course I went to was one I've never played and it wasn't very difficult. There was an -11 down I'm a 900 rated player and ratings were both 760. The all new bag is intriguing. Probably give that a go.

Put the bag down, remember to have some fun and go out solo with only a few simple discs in hand; Comet/putter, putter only or what I have found to be damn fun is playing a Zephyr against a Condor round.

6 weeks ago I went back to just carrying a DX Roc, DX Eagle and my putter. I had so much fun playing a few rounds like that that I have put away my backpack and premium discs and have been playing with 9 DX discs in an Innova standard bag. I'm having fun again!

Sounds like a confidence issue if your scores are suffering that much.

Play more casual and less tournaments. New courses are fun. Play some 2 disc rounds. Basically, just change up the routine...sometimes it just takes one shot/hole/round to completely turn your game back around.

Also, it's fascinating how different the ratings/division breakouts are in different regions. A 900 golfer would get smashed in Advanced here. Hell, 900 golfers get beat up pretty well in Intermediate around here, most of the time.

sometimes it just takes one shot/hole/round to completely turn your game back around.

That reminds me of another trick I use to keep it fun. After every round, I choose a shot of the round. It helps to reminisce on all of the highlights, even if there were a lot of lowlights too. Focus on the positive!

Take a break, go hard on something else for a while. I was going thru a thing where all my throws were crap and the heat/humidity made it more like torture then a fun sport so I'm taking a break till it gets a lil cooler or less humidity. I usually do that during cold/hot times when it's miserable to play and when I come back it's always great and I seem to snap back into at least B game (for me) territory when I come back. I think there is a real mental aspect to taking breaks no matter what you're doing, I've done it in other competitive areas and came back better because of it. Poker and other sports come to mind when my game would go to crap. You come back and it's fun again, the novelty comes back and the dopamine starts firing so your brain revs up is basically what I have to imagine what happens. Wheras you stick with it you might just get into the frustrated/bored territory which is death for creative and higher level thinking and probably physical performance as well.

Sounds like I need a break. It has been 90+and humid here in Iowa for the last month. Now if I can stick to the thought of a break and not play the tournament this weekend. Lol

It was stated earlier but... the way I broke out of the slump was one disc rounds... grabbed a condor and just played with that

This re-taught me the basics and built confidence... plus I insisted on playing for fun only with little to no emphasis on scores... I paid attention (mentally) to the holes I played well and dismissed the ones I had a bad time on... this built up the mental game and let me enjoy my time with DG

Yeah, a change, one way or the other.

Change the disc golf you play. Instead of tournaments, play casual, play league, play 1-disc rounds, explore new courses, play safari golf (if possible), play forehand-only if you're predominantly backhand.....

If that doesn't work, put the discs on the shelf and take up another hobby. The discs will be there, and still working, when you return to disc golf.

Sounds like I need a break. It has been 90+and humid here in Iowa for the last month.
The weather this year has really put me in a funk where I just don't want to play. Earlier this month I was visiting elderly parents and was bored so I went over to a neighboring town to throw a few holes. Temps reached 100 by the time I finished, and the heat index was 120. I drank three 32 oz bottles of water in less than two hours. I had a mild headache for awhile afterwards.

Not too smart on my behalf, but an experience like that just makes you want to put the bag in the closet for a few weeks.

I basically walked away from DG for about 2 years and went and focused on other stuff I enjoy doing.

Take a break, it will be there when you come back.

Myself, I've had a string of injury-imposed vacations from disc golf. I found that, after being forced out of playing for a while, I'm more grateful to be able to play.

Having other hobbies is important for me.

I spend a lot of my non DG time playing poker, fantasy sports, following and watching sports on TV, maybe some ultimate here and there, reading, etc. Im not the type to just sleep all the time or lay around all day, but i try and not wear myself out physically or get burnt out by playing too much. I try and only play 2-3 days during the work week in summer time. I generally am playing tourney or multiple rounds on the weekends tho. So a couple days off during the week are a necessity to avoid injury and fatigue, as well as keeping it fresh

Teach other people. Watching someone's eyes light up when they finally figure out their hit point and send one flying always reminds me of why I like this game so much, and always rekindles the fire. For me, anyways.

Start a family. THEN you will come to appreciate every second you are on the course. Seriously though, take a break and focus on a slightly different physical activity, whether it be going to the gym, bicycling, or yoga. I really can't say enough positive things about yoga, it has really helped me both mentally and physically. Living in the moment is something that can really help your game.

I guess my question is do any of you guys get burnt out and what have you done to change it? I'm sure my mental game could use some work as well any tips to help me out?

This happened to me in tournament chess. After playing for several years, I got to the point where I did not even want to see a chess set, much less a book, much less play (even casual). So I took over a year off from chess; did nothing with it. After a while, I picked up a book and started going over games just for the enjoyment of it, and soon after that I had the bug again and started playing again... and doing better than before.

If you still WANT to play DG, and your results are the problem, it may be a case of getting over an obstacle (mental or otherwise) and 'gearing up' to play better in the future. Part of the learning curve for many people as they progress.

In either case, give yourself a break.

Here is a similar read/thread of my woes just earlier this year where I almost hung it up. Good ideas in there and one of the best was read the book, "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect", by Bob Rotella. The book is about ball golf but the mental aspects and theory's will play in many other aspects of sport or life in general.

I found my copy on Amazon for a penny, yes....just 1 cent. The shipping was $4 though.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121545

Last edited: