• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Waco Annual Charity Open presented by Dynamic Discs

More evidence that somebody wants to suck all the fun out of DG... They put a 30sec clock on comments in the YT chat, lol...

Just tuned in to the live coverage for the first time since Vegas. I see they haven't really improved. Don't know what's going on with all this camera wobble. Maybe these are the same videographers that shot the Blair Witch Project.

It's hole 5 and they haven't shown a graphic with the scores yet. I think PB is leading this card? Not sure, but I don't want to check UDiscLive because apparently it's a little ahead of the live video and I don't want to spoil it.

Just tuned in to the live coverage for the first time since Vegas. I see they haven't really improved. Don't know what's going on with all this camera wobble. Maybe these are the same videographers that shot the Blair Witch Project.

The wobble is two things. The first you can't do much about and that's motion. Absent having static shots to cut away to (the booth, commercials, leaderboards, other stationary cameras, etc), we're going to be "taken along" with cameras as they change positions with the players. But even once the cameras are in position, the nature of the sport kinda requires some panning and camera movement of that type. Good camera operators can do that smoothly most of the time.

The bigger problem comes with the second factor...abuse of the zoom. When you're zoomed, it exacerbates any subtle move by the camera operator. If you're zoomed tightly enough, the camera operator's heartbeat can create shake in an otherwise stationary shot. Let alone when you're zoomed then try to pan to follow the flight of the disc. That's where you get the motion sickness inducing views.

Just tuned in for a couple holes and the zooming is absolutely the problem. Way too tight on the player at the tee and the catch cam is too tight and loses the disc way too easily, especially in these tight woods. It's such an easy fix. I hope they make it.

Looking at FPO on UDisc , there's a foursome at the bottom with no scoring shown for the day. Is UDisc input is done by volunteers?

The wobble is two things. The first you can't do much about and that's motion. Absent having static shots to cut away to (the booth, commercials, leaderboards, other stationary cameras, etc), we're going to be "taken along" with cameras as they change positions with the players. But even once the cameras are in position, the nature of the sport kinda requires some panning and camera movement of that type. Good camera operators can do that smoothly most of the time.

The bigger problem comes with the second factor...abuse of the zoom. When you're zoomed, it exacerbates any subtle move by the camera operator. If you're zoomed tightly enough, the camera operator's heartbeat can create shake in an otherwise stationary shot. Let alone when you're zoomed then try to pan to follow the flight of the disc. That's where you get the motion sickness inducing views.

Just tuned in for a couple holes and the zooming is absolutely the problem. Way too tight on the player at the tee and the catch cam is too tight and loses the disc way too easily, especially in these tight woods. It's such an easy fix. I hope they make it.

They should put tape on the zoom button. I'm only kind of kidding.

I just don't get the wobble on static shots. Action shots, sure, things are moving, the camera has to move around to keep things framed. I get it. But when the player and the basket are all framed up nicely in the shot and everything that happens is going to happen within that frame and the camera will not need to move for some time, for the love of god, just rest the monopod on the mother-lovin' ground.

And yeah, a little less zoom would be nice. Give us some wides. It's not the end of the universe if we can't read the stamp on the disc.

edit: AND STOP SHOOTING PUTTS HEAD-ON OR DIRECTLY FROM BEHIND. THE TELEPHOTO LENS SMASHES THE PERCEIVED DISTANCE AND ROBS THE VIEWER OF ANY SENSE OF DEPTH. SHOOT THEM AT NINETY DEGREES. HHGKSHJKLH JKFGE GHRHGKLQW HQ HGUIE GHU HGUF HGUIREHG E I *THUD*

Last edited:
I just don't get the wobble on static shots. Action shots, sure, things are moving, the camera has to move around to keep things framed. I get it. But when the player and the basket are all framed up nicely in the shot and everything that happens is going to happen within that frame and the camera will not need to move for some time, for the love of god, just rest the monopod on the mother-lovin' ground.

And yeah, a little less zoom would be nice. Give us some wides. It's not the end of the universe if we can't read the stamp on the disc.

edit: AND STOP SHOOTING PUTTS HEAD-ON OR DIRECTLY FROM BEHIND. THE TELEPHOTO LENS SMASHES THE PERCEIVED DISTANCE AND ROBS THE VIEWER OF ANY SENSE OF DEPTH. SHOOT THEM AT NINETY DEGREES. HHGKSHJKLH JKFGE GHRHGKLQW HQ HGUIE GHU HGUF HGUIREHG E I *THUD*

We use the active stabilzation on when we film (it's the highest stabilization setting), helps a ton. We also don't use monopods, but that's another discussion.

I low key hate filming from 90 degrees. Right behind or head on is almost as bad too. The best IMO is a little angle. maybe 20 degrees or something. When it's 90 degrees you have no idea if the putt is going in until it's at the basket, same for directly behind or in front. A little angle and you can tell way earlier if it looks good or not.

We use the active stabilzation on when we film (it's the highest stabilization setting), helps a ton. We also don't use monopods, but that's another discussion.

You guys use shoulder rigs, right? Same idea applies either way-- if they have a tool at hand for making it better but are not using it, that's just silly.

I low key hate filming from 90 degrees. Right behind or head on is almost as bad too. The best IMO is a little angle. maybe 20 degrees or something. When it's 90 degrees you have no idea if the putt is going in until it's at the basket, same for directly behind or in front. A little angle and you can tell way earlier if it looks good or not.

You're right, of course. I went all the way to ninety because baby steps. I didn't want to overload them with ideas. =D

Whatever you guys do is just what I expect out of coverage/angles now...and when it's not like that it's so obvious to me that it's way worse. I don't have to think "I wish I could see that better" when watching.

Disc golf footage is interesting, look at most other pro sports that are popular...the viewers do not play them still or never have. How many people played high level football or race cars, etc.? Whereas disc golf we're basically all players, so not only do we want to see the flights in a pleasing way but we also want a familiar angle that reminds us of when we throw the shot.

The missing FPO foursome is showing up now. All 18 holes at once, with all the UDisc detail. It would be interesting to find out what happened.

Is it just some of the cards don't feel like taking scores? Kind of defeats the purpose of it all if lots aren't participating.

Latest posts