• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Waco Annual Charity Open Mar 12-14

Maybe...just maybe...BDubs wore a mask the whole time because he (unlike WAY too many high profile dgers) actually is taking COVID seriously? Just spitballing here.

I think this may be the case. I had the unexpected pleasure of playing a casual round with Bradley, Stephanie, and another pro recently and we all had masks (though we didn't keep them on 100% of the time) and practiced social distancing around the tee pads and baskets.

Over the course ....

Exactly. I called someone on a rules violation during a DD match play event, and it turned into a similar situation, and carried over for 2 years afterward. People who knowingly break the rules don't like being called out, and I also got the old "we are just here to have fun" BS.

To which I had to say that no this is a tournament, we can have fun but still follow the rules. You don't get to be passive aggressive by pulling that fun line. It was the president of the local DG club, I tried to talk to him afterward and he wanted no part of it. It got pretty ugly.

Been watching a lot of PBA bowling recently and some of the guys on there don't take their masks off while throwing because they don't like to be constantly taking it off and putting it back on and think it throws them off their concentration.

BWill could be of the same sort. He just leaves it on to stay in the zone...

I wish we could all just separate our feelings and self-identity from our disc golf play and call all the violations without emotional reactions and relational cost.

Honestly, I wish we all could separate our ego from all things in life.

Thanks for being that guy. I've had a stance violation warning 2 times, I think both on my first PDGA tourney season. Once on a falling knee putt within the circle and once on a fairway drive. Made me pay attention more.

Over the course of my time playing PDGA tournaments (I don't play a ton each year, but I have played several each year for the last 14 years), I have voiced a warning 3 times. (Including a foot fault, back when the rule required a warning before a penalty on the next violation, and slow play once.) One of those times things worked out the way you describe, the player thanked me and amended his actions. We were all the happier for it. The other two times the player became disgruntled and made life miserable for everyone else on the card for the rest of the day and both other card-mates were ticked off at me for the misery that ensued.

In the last few years I have had a couple of conversations with someone on the card about the behavior or play or another person on the card wherein I tried to convince them that we should call a violation or give a warning the next time the player did that thing. Both times the other player discouraged me from doing it and told me he would not second it bc he didn't want to get involved. I have learned from this that if I start talking about rules violations, I am seen as the guy who doesn't want to have any fun and who takes all this stuff way too seriously.

In a tournament last year a player on my card reported an incorrect score for a hole. All the rest of us looked at each other and it was clear to me that I was the only one who was going to speak up. I simply asked, "Are you sure?" What followed was fully ten minutes of the guy walking around, gesticulating wildly, and yelling in general and at me in particular. By that time the card behind us had caught up and he pled his case to those 4 guys for a few more minutes. Finally the three of us agreed on his proper score and we recorded it. He glared at me for the rest of the round and no one spoke for those last several holes other than to say a score number. I should note that the next morning before the final round he came up to me and apologized, which was good, since we were playing together again.

I'm not saying that this is how it should be. I wish we could all just separate our feelings and self-identity from our disc golf play and call all the violations without emotional reactions and relational cost.

It's true that "the rules are set up so there is no cause for arguing among players," but I've rarely seen a call of any kind made during a round that didn't create lingering bad feelings for the rest of the round and sometimes into a future tournament. Sorry for the essay. I will continue to do my best to call the rules violations that I think will be enforceable and I'm definitely willing to be "that guy" on things like improper reporting of a score or other obvious errors.

This is nuts.

I haven't been on this forum much in the last year. Watched Waco and decided to pop in here. Good to see that you all still turn every tournament discussion into a rules discussion.

I'm not saying that this is how it should be. I wish we could all just separate our feelings and self-identity from our disc golf play and call all the violations without emotional reactions and relational cost.

It's true that "the rules are set up so there is no cause for arguing among players," but I've rarely seen a call of any kind made during a round that didn't create lingering bad feelings for the rest of the round and sometimes into a future tournament.

Our culture regarding the rules is ridiculous. Teenagers can manage to live with calls made in pretty much unstructured environments in pick up basketball games but grown ass men can't handle it within the structure of a disc golf event.

Our culture regarding the rules is ridiculous. Teenagers can manage to live with calls made in pretty much unstructured environments in pick up basketball games but grown ass men can't handle it within the structure of a disc golf event.

this video on the topic is always good for a rewatch:

This is very true, in my experience. Whenever there was disagreement about a foul call in pick-up hoops, the other players would quickly jump in, saying "Respect the call."

I have limited organized disc golf play experience, but in that limited experience, I've seen calls made twice. Once for step putt inside the circle, another for a foot fault. Both times it was an absolute $hit show. The offending player was absolutely irate, and in the one instance, one of the other card members also took it personal that someone called an offense. That was on the first hole. The remainder of the round was awful. Half the card was furious and fuming.

http://imgur.com/a/W1PifVL

Is what Brad told me he was planning to throw at Waco.

I'll also follow up my early statement with the fact I've filmed and hung out with him multiple times, and he's always been great to be around.

Nice! I was wondering what was in his bag. Kept pausing the coverage to look for the stamp on that red putter, definitely looked like a JK.
I guess that flippy yellow fairway he threw with all the smoothness was his yella TL3

Loved watching him and Cale, great start to the season

Not specifically disc golf, but across the board.

A lot of people that call a foul/violation/whatever get really weird. It is like they are afraid someone will get mad at them, try really hard to be friendly, it comes across as patronizing (or is simply annoying), and then the person eventually does get mad at them.

And yet youngsters are made out to be the ones who have problems with authority.

There was a local who took forever to putt, he would recite an entire Bible verse or somesuch prayer each time. HOWEVER, he told card mates before the round to go ahead and gather their bags, chat with each other, and walk around as needed during his putt routine so as to not get a violation.

I don't call violations anymore, but I will chip in if something I see is called by another player. If something is egregious and repeated I will speak to the player without the others around, something like "Hey I don't want you to get stroked by anyone but you keep xxxx'ing...no, no one here would call it, we're all cool, but maybe on your next round..."

It's worked so far, but I don't play nearly as many events anymore so not sure how 'kids these days" are playing it.

It's true that "the rules are set up so there is no cause for arguing among players," but I've rarely seen a call of any kind made during a round that didn't create lingering bad feelings for the rest of the round and sometimes into a future tournament. Sorry for the essay. I will continue to do my best to call the rules violations that I think will be enforceable and I'm definitely willing to be "that guy" on things like improper reporting of a score or other obvious errors.

Exactly. I called someone on a rules violation during a DD match play event, and it turned into a similar situation, and carried over for 2 years afterward. People who knowingly break the rules don't like being called out, and I also got the old "we are just here to have fun" BS.

To which I had to say that no this is a tournament, we can have fun but still follow the rules. You don't get to be passive aggressive by pulling that fun line. It was the president of the local DG club, I tried to talk to him afterward and he wanted no part of it. It got pretty ugly.

I have limited organized disc golf play experience, but in that limited experience, I've seen calls made twice. Once for step putt inside the circle, another for a foot fault. Both times it was an absolute $hit show. The offending player was absolutely irate, and in the one instance, one of the other card members also took it personal that someone called an offense. That was on the first hole. The remainder of the round was awful. Half the card was furious and fuming.

I have a few refrains that I run through my head to keep calm about these things:

You went OB 7 times this round without freaking out about it. The penalty for a foot fault is the exact same. When it's an OB you shrug it off and continue play. When it's a foot fault you complain for 2 years. What the hell is the difference?

I'm sorry I'm forcing you to play by the rules.

Hockey players get sent to the penalty box every game. Football players get penalties called on them every game. Basketball players get multiple penalties called on them every game. And you can't take a single penalty called on you? For most of us, it's probably one penalty per year. Imagine if every athlete complained about getting a penalty as much as you guys do. Every other sport would be utterly unwatchable.

Not that these do anything in the heat of the moment to cool anyone down, of course.

this video on the topic is always good for a rewatch:

Ricky was completely oblivious to where his mini was, it was 3 feet away! He should have seconded it himself though, he reached for his mini way in front after, which then of course he realizes he made a mistake. He may not have known he could have called it on himself though. I think he went on to win as well though I'm not positive.

Cmon Rick. Learn the rules.

Latest posts