• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Waco Annual Charity Open Mar 12-14

I can not count the number of times I've been watching the PGA Tour and seen guys step up and take more than their allotted 40 seconds. I think its outright crazy to say players don't do this all the time on the PGA Tour. I've seen guys spend that much time just talking to their caddies, before you even start to talk about the time they spend over the ball.

Yeh... Guess what? Golf has practically died at the amateur level because of the time it takes to play and time has been a HUGE issue on the pga tour.

Look in to what the pga tour has done and said when it comes to shot time in the last 6yrs. One of the biggest issues in the sport.. The players that abuse the clock have been called out as well and more enforcement has been done.

Cmon

Baseball implementing a pitch clock.

Shot clock in basketball...

Play clock in football....

Last edited:
Yeh... Guess what? Golf has practically died at the amateur level because of the time it takes to play and time has been a HUGE issue on the pga tour.

Look in to what the pga tour has done and said when it comes to shot time in the last 6yrs. One of the biggest issues in the sport.. The players that abuse the clock have been called out as well and more enforcement has been done.
I did not know about recent controversy. All I know is when I hear people say disc golfers take too long I think of...

Once the fans are cleared, this takes forever and a minute.

Baseball implementing a pitch clock.
Not yet. And you should HEAR baseball fans bitch about it being the last thing that needs to be implemented to speed up the game.

Shot clock in basketball...

Play clock in football....
Baseball is a much better example for you. These are both horrible examples. There is no game clock in disc golf, which makes it more like baseball. In both football and basketball you can run out the clock to the win. That doesn't exist in disc golf.

Idk. I have a ball golf background. In ball golf you can easily cheat the rules in many ways but you dont do it out of respect for the other players you are putting your score up against.

As a pro, Nikko is fully aware he is only allowed 30 seconds, he is also fully aware the card will not call him on it and make it uncomfortable and confrontational. It is disrespectful to the other players and the game.

Nikko is the only player on tour that does this consistently and purposefully to gain an advantage.

He won fair and square. No one called him on it but im not gonna make excuses for him.

His win has an asterisk in my diary.

I recall reading somewhere that McBeth never calls him on it figuring the longer Nikko thinks about it his putt, the more likely he is to miss it.

It'd be nice if Nikko got it done within 30 sec, but it's also on his cardmates to make that call. If it doesn't bug them, I'm sure as hell not gonna let it bug me.

Iam emphasizing the importance of a clock when it comes to competition and decision making....im not sure you are understanding.

I see 30 seconds as a soft rule. Most players shots will take less while a couple shots may take a little over.

Nikko is the opposite to the point of cheating.

Baseball is trying to save itself. They better speed it up if they want to stay relevant.

Last edited:
I recall reading somewhere that McBeth never calls him on it figuring the longer Nikko thinks about it his putt, the more likely he is to miss it.

It'd be nice if Nikko got it done within 30 sec, but it's also on his cardmates to make that call. If it doesn't bug them, I'm sure as hell not gonna let it bug me.

It got to me this time because this was my first live Nikko experience and it sucked. I thought the post coverage was bad, i had no idea it was this bad.

He just stands out like a sore thumb with how much time he takes its hard not to notice and jump on here and wine about it.

Nikko is the only player on tour that does this consistently and purposefully to gain an advantage.

I wonder if he would even be in this position if he wasnt taking 60 seconds per shot. Its almost like he is playing a solo practice round while his card mates are playing a tourney.

I forget where, but pros have been quoted saying something like, "money's on the line, if it really bothered us, we would call it."

It's going to take an official to change how the pros play. Maybe as the money grows the DGPT will start adding officials with every card.

2 quick thoughts on Nikko's use of time:

Like has been said, if you're gonna call him on it, you've gotta time it. One person setting a timer on their phone doesn't mean anything...meaning you'd need another person verifying that it was start/stopped in accordance correctly. If you're on his card are you really going to take yourself out of your own game by constantly clocking his time? I know for sure I'd want 100% of my focus directed at my own performance...especially with cash on the line.

Which kinda brings me to my second point...none of you think there are instances where excessive time can get in his head a bit and allow him to overthink shots? He's very streaky...if he's on he can hang with anybody, but also has stretches where he melts down. If I'm a competitor on his card I honestly am not sure how much his excessive time really helps his game...so I'm not worried about it.

@ E-money: you're totally within your right to not line the guy, and have your reasons to root against him. I hope you get what you want out out of watching it.

2 quick thoughts on Nikko's use of time:

Like has been said, if you're gonna call him on it, you've gotta time it. One person setting a timer on their phone doesn't mean anything...meaning you'd need another person verifying that it was start/stopped in accordance correctly. If you're on his card are you really going to take yourself out of your own game by constantly clocking his time? I know for sure I'd want 100% of my focus directed at my own performance...especially with cash on the line.

Which kinda brings me to my second point...none of you think there are instances where excessive time can get in his head a bit and allow him to overthink shots? He's very streaky...if he's on he can hang with anybody, but also has stretches where he melts down. If I'm a competitor on his card I honestly am not sure how much his excessive time really helps his game...so I'm not worried about it.

I completely agree with both of these thoughts. Also, I have never called anyone on time because I don't want to engage in a debate about if the playing area was "clear and free of distractions." That phrase leaves a lot of latitude for interpretation of the rule.

It is up to his card mates to call him on it the way the rules are written. If they don't call it then no foul. Is this fair to the other competitors in the tourney? The basketball analogy isn't exact since an official actually starts the time clock in basketball. I have always thought it isn't fair for competitors to enforce this rule since it takes players out of their own game and strategy.

Youngsters here's your history lesson for the day:

Typically the DGPT selects the round one "live coverage card" and all other feature cards. After round 1 they are the lead, chase1, chase2, etc. There has been a tradition on round one feature to include the a) defending champion if available, b) tournament sponsor's selection, and c) DGPT selection. In the past the fourth was a fan vote (with a limit per year), but they seem to have disbanded that this year in favor of an additional selection of their own — allowing them to have a "Selection Show" on DGN. Thus the live card made sense to me — 2 Team Prodigy players, the defending champion, and a two-time champion who usually plays well on this course. Unfortunately Jerm just didn't yesterday.

wow seriously thank you im glad we have someone of your age and wisdom to share it here

The phrase "Drive for show, putt for dough" has officially been proven wrong. Ulysses Muniz finished dead last in strokes gained from tee-green at -17.26. On the other hand, he finished first in C1X strokes gained at 7.12. He finished in 114th place.

Just looking over the scores I found it interesting that Holly Finley finished with a 68 for all three rounds. This consistent play led to a solid, top ten finish.

And James Conrad finished 34th. I wonder if the wind hurt him, possibly more dramatically, than many other players. I believe it was LV where he seemed to be turning over quite a few drives. With this wind in Waco it could certainly exaggerate the issue with his style and new discs.

Plus Brodie tied with Eagle?????? Eagle's two sub-1000 rounds led to that, of course.

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up on the eagle round

truly painful to watch and i enjoyed every second

I think it's fair to say most elite pros don't get a chance to practice in high wind conditions that often.

Its funny to think about Nikkos footfault call on Ricky at the memorial that one year..... He was so adamant about Ricky breaking the rules........

Yeh. Idk the way to stop it. Everyone else tries to throw in a timely manner and may take a little extra on a bad lie but its most shots for Nikko.

I can see Nikko throwing a huge B!tch fit if someone called him on it and retaliating by trying to call violations on them the rest of the round instead of accepting he is in the wrong.

Ricky wasn't just breaking the rules...

He cheated intentionally by manipulating his stance to change his lie/position and it gained him an unfair advantage and imo(and if video evidence was allowed), should have gotten a post round penalty or DQ for it. You can see him clearly look up at that tree and at the angle he needed to get to the basket... and if anyone thinks the best/2nd best player in the world misses his lie by that much on accident, i got a bridge to sell you.

He knew exactly what he was doing.

That long hyzer Putt Rick made that the video cut to....he changed disc two times and took over a minute to make that putt