• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Dynamic Discs Open Apr 28-May 1

When I registered for the event (Am side) on Disc Golf Scene, I tried to leave the "Tee off song" question blank. When I tried to submit, it gave me the "This is a required field" error message, so I had to choose something.

Next time it requires that and you don't want one just put down John Cage's 4'33".

My son played Junior Worlds at Emporia a few years ago and they let the kids that made the Final 9 at Emporia CC choose their tee-off song . . . he went with Final Countdown by Europe. No surprise there since we usually listen to hair metal on our way to and from the course. He likes it and it puts me in a time machine back to my younger days. :thmbup:

As for the DDO, I'd rather forget it as our fantasy team was devasted when Tristan Tanner DNF'd and his replacement (next player with same rating) ended up near 100th. Basically a 500 point swing. Ugh.

I noticed each player had a tee off song,and it played loudly. Is this a new thing? Does anyone know if players we required to have a tee off song? It definitely helped set the stage and gave the event sort of a party atmosphere. I only question whether the music was loud enough to carry to other holes and interfere with other players on the course. At an event like this I think they would want to keep a certain level of decorum, but maybe this was agree upon in advance and the players were OK with it.

It makes me wonder if the organizers needed to obtain special waivers to do this? Typically this would go against the spirit of many other rules in the rule book.

This is a unique tradition that began at the old Glass Blown Open -- at least 10 years strong that I know of. Back when every division might play any course, it was really great being at Country Club and hearing my tee-off song and having the #1 announcer with his big booming baritone voice.

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't think about royalties but that is a good point also.

I was actually wondering if the event organizers need to obtain a waiver from the PDGA to play music on first tee since it is not something normally done.

I remember them playing the music during each players throw at DDO.

The "royalties rule" is so complex, I am sure not even the music artists understand it. Typically when you purchase music or subscribe to a service you get a license to the music for private consumption (i.e. for YOU to listen to). Beyond that, it is tricky ... but I'd bet there is a way to purchase an entire catalog to simplify that process.

I noticed each player had a tee off song,and it played loudly. Is this a new thing? Does anyone know if players we required to have a tee off song? It definitely helped set the stage and gave the event sort of a party atmosphere. I only question whether the music was loud enough to carry to other holes and interfere with other players on the course. At an event like this I think they would want to keep a certain level of decorum, but maybe this was agree upon in advance and the players were OK with it.

It makes me wonder if the organizers needed to obtain special waivers to do this? Typically this would go against the spirit of many other rules in the rule book.

This is what makes hole #1 on Supreme that much more hilarious.

Here's a super high energy and/or fun song to get pumped up to, while you are teeing off next to a shed...... and then a 120 foot layup or even a jump putt.

I can't believe Red Bull and Nike aren't knocking down our door.

Next time it requires that and you don't want one just put down John Cage's 4'33".

My son played Junior Worlds at Emporia a few years ago and they let the kids that made the Final 9 at Emporia CC choose their tee-off song . . . he went with Final Countdown by Europe. No surprise there since we usually listen to hair metal on our way to and from the course. He likes it and it puts me in a time machine back to my younger days. :thmbup:

The main reason I wanted to skip the question was bc I was trying to hurry through the registration process to be sure I got in!

I enjoyed the tee off songs and in our division people around the tee area/parking lot were laughing about people's choices and/or congratulating them on it.

I went with "I Just Want to Celebrate," by Rare Earth.

Or that someone from a passing car could hang out the window yelling "Disc golf is for p*ssies!"

Yes, that really happened to me. Was in Phoenix playing at Los Olivos when it happened. An older couple was sitting on a bench near the tee and asked me "What did he say?" LOL!

One night during a PDGA league, some assbag driving down the park road at Mt Airy in Cincy yelled at me, "Hey fatass, frolf is for skinny people!" right when I was attempting a birdie putt...

I didn't even have a chance to respond before the one skinny guy in my group yelled back, "It's too bad your mom doesn't have the same rule!"

...I literally fell down from laughing so hard, lol.

has anyone been tempted to honk their car horn at ball golfers on the backswing while driving by a course? asking for a friend.....

has anyone been tempted to honk their car horn at ball golfers on the backswing while driving by a course? asking for a friend.....

When my kids were younger, I had them yell Noonan during ball golfers backswing.

EC has a few wide open holes that are artificially made into "pro" holes by OB. There's also quite a few wooded holes with OB.

With that said, there are a few solid holes on that course that either don't have OB or it doesn't come into play.

The OB in the woods there makes no sense. If someone throws it 80 long down the hill why can't they be forced to play it from there? It's not like the OB is adding something to the hole as a feature.

The OB in the woods there makes no sense. If someone throws it 80 long down the hill why can't they be forced to play it from there? It's not like the OB is adding something to the hole as a feature.

Apparently the course owner discovered DG by watching JomezPro (like many people), but when he wanted to build a course, he wanted to mimic what he saw on the pro tour, and told Dave McCormack (the course designer and owner of Gateway) to add in a bunch of OB, gave him suggestions of where to put it, etc.

In other words, the course owner doesn't know anything about design theory, saw OB on the pro tour, and wanted to add it.

I look forward to the day when the money behind new courses for the pro tour is backed by the brains to hire a professional designer AND stay out of the way. It's already in the works, and will be here within 1-2 years.

You have no idea what she would have done. All we know is what she did.

And now sad men on an internet forum can judge her because they are jealous because she is better at discgolf than them and gets paid quite well to be better. And, even if she plays horribly , she still gets paid. I love it. Sad men with delicate egos.

If Paige wants to play the way she plays and it goes wrong more than it goes right, what's it cost her other than some wins, a higher rating, and payout money that pales in comparison to her other revenue streams?

Her style of play seems to matter a lot more to those watching the tournaments than to her.

Is this the same person?

Last edited:
All I know is.... it'd be awesome to see footage of Pros throwing Lake Olpe & Clover Cliff also, when Emporia Worlds happens

Performance Tracks for all rounds.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DDO22FPO.jpg
    DDO22FPO.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DDO22MPO.jpg
    DDO22MPO.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 173
You would need to offset the differences in player groups.

For example, FPO had a difference of 73 ratings points over 25 finalists, while MPO had a difference of just 54 points over 50 finalists. Perhaps the weather wasn't strong enough to overcome the 3 ratings points difference between FPO players, but was enough to overcome the 1 ratings point difference between MPO players.

Comparing different tournaments suffers from the same problem. The wider the spread of ratings, the better the course will seem to perform.

Yep, this is the huge issue with being able to directly interpret scoring spreads (only).. you also have to somehow take into account the skill levels of the players participating. The PDGA method side-steps this whole issue by just assuming that all courses/layouts of equal SSA spread out the scores of participants equally. It's a big over-simplification of reality, but I haven't found any better/more accurate method yet. :p

Hard not to pick Ricky as a HUGE favorite to win Worlds, , ,and hard to see Paul win this.
And i really hope Kristin gets that world title but Cat looked strong in low winds.

Hard not to pick Ricky as a HUGE favorite to win Worlds, , ,and hard to see Paul win this.
And i really hope Kristin gets that world title but Cat looked strong in low winds.

I think it's all about Paul's injury. When it has not been bothering him, or he has found a way to work around it, he has been at the top. IDK the extent of his injury, how 'fixable' it is in the short term, etc. But hard to argue against Ricky being the favorite. Still, two total newcomers to the scene were on lead card final round, so anything can happen...

Latest posts