• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Silver Series: 2021 Clash at The Canyons V July 2-4

The absence of getable birdies made for a very dull FPO final round. Kristin proving the Europeans are a factor. Her putt looked good today, thinking the altitude may have contributed to some of her misses in Utah.

The absence of getable birdies made for a very dull FPO final round. Kristin proving the Europeans are a factor. Her putt looked good today, thinking the altitude may have contributed to some of her misses in Utah.

And she did say that she pulled a muscle in a practice round for worlds, things like that mess up your putt.
But a nice win, hope this make her feel like it was worth the journey

And she did say that she pulled a muscle in a practice round for worlds, things like that mess up your putt.

Can confirm. I janked up my shoulder at Jonesboro and it hasn't healed at all, and the last 20% of my putt follow-through motion has been garbage since then. It's really annoying.

Can confirm. I janked up my shoulder at Jonesboro and it hasn't healed at all, and the last 20% of my putt follow-through motion has been garbage since then. It's really annoying.

Fortunately, she's young and will almost surely heal up quite a bit faster than you or I would, assuming her continued play doesn't exacerbate things. I'm sure it's still an issue for her, but only Kristin knows how much it's affecting her game.

Typically, injuries tend to limit how hard you can throw, moreso than the short game. But that depends on the specific injury itself, and perhaps even individual throwing styles. No doubt certain injuries are more of a factor on certain shots, and can really screw things up when players try to adjust to avoid pain when making those shots when injured.

Regardless, nice win for Kristin!

Sarah Hokom said something commentating about how few holes were gettable for birdies. It looked like there were shorter teepads on some of the holes so there may have been an opportunity for the FPO to have a slightly shorter layout, but the organizers opted against it I guess.

Definitely are shorter teepads on many of the holes, we just played there a week prior. The shorter pads still offer quite the challenge on some holes. Even if 3-5 shorter pads were mixed in it would have been helpful. Not sure 650' par 4's through the woods with O/B are fair to the majority of the FPO field. Not saying every hole needs to be birdie-able (that's a different thread), but there should be some realization that these are different divisions.

Was nice to see JK finish in top 5.

Sometimes making a hole reasonably birdieable for a skill level should be done by changing its length (moving tee or pin), sometimes by changing its par. Up to designer to make the best call on each hole.

Sarah Hokom said something commentating about how few holes were gettable for birdies. It looked like there were shorter teepads on some of the holes so there may have been an opportunity for the FPO to have a slightly shorter layout, but the organizers opted against it I guess.

The pars were appropriate for FPO.

The so-called "birdie" opportunities for MPO were artificially created by using what I call "Swedish Par". That is: add one to the lowest score an expert gets.

As an example see hole #13: 54% of 1000-rated players would get a score of 3. Obviously, 3 is the score that would be an expected of an expert with errorless play - and that should be par. But, because no one got a 2, par was set to 4. However, no one who scored a 3 really moved up in the competition, did they?

For better scoring separation and a more fun experience for both MPO and FPO, the holes which offered no opportunity to gain a throw on the field should be shortened until they do. Or, lengthened until getting the currently most common score would actually be gaining a throw on the field.

Even if par is appropriate, there is a range of difficulty within that par. To make each hole offer at least 20% real birdies to a 930-rated FPO player without changing par, the lengths on the following holes should be:
1 480
4 605
7 545
8 340
9 255
10 495
14 260
16 530

I liked that champion interview. The winner seemed very humble and genuinely excited. Good stuff! :p

Dan is definitely one of the good guys in the area. Does a lot for the local scene and always has a great attitude. Super excited to see him buckle down and win this one!

Finally caught up with coverage. It's great to see a big tournament like this on a local course. Super happy to see Dan win. Ultimate hype man and a wonderful human being to boot. The thing that keeps coming to my mind seeing these crowds on coverage is that most of the spectators paid money for the opportunity to come out and watch the action. You had to purchase a spectator pass to be there if you weren't playing. The days of people whining about paying to see disc golf are going away. Soon it will be the norm at these big events. As long as this money goes back to continue to grow the tour and make it even better, I'm all for it.

I really like the layout they played. Hole 14 is the weakest hole on the course with 15 not far behind. Combining those two holes for this 18 hole tourney layout seems like a great move.

Latest posts