• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Dick's / Meijer Conspiracy Theory, Plus Help Choose Best Innova Discs

The choice of Innova discs that Meijer carries is not even the worst of it.
A majority of the Mambas and Terns are CLEAR Champion plastic. Talk about setting up your market for repeat customers.
"Hey this disc looks awesome!" Runs out to Riverside Park and shanks the Tern into the woods. "Hey I can't find my disc! Guess I'll have to run back to Meijer and buy another."

Some of this strikes me as favoring the "flavor of the year". For example, wanting to include Shrykes but have less Daedalii and Katanas...aren't those all sort of the same slot (flippy warp speed drivers)?

In a few years, I can see a new thread where someone is complaining that their local big box is overstocked with Shrykes--that nobody throws anymore!--but doesn't have any of [whatever the newest flippy distance driver is that's supposed to give you 50' more max D].

That's not to say that the OP is completely misguided; this is just a list of what's hot/selling right now. Part of the game for these large retailers is that they buy a huge bulk of whatever they're buying and it's on the shelves for a while.

In that regard, a lot of the classic molds in the "Keep" category make a lot of sense: FB, TB, Rocs, AVR...those aren't going anywhere. I suppose you can probably add Destroyer to that list, not because it's objectively a better mold than some other options, but because it's become such a standard that similar options are dying off in popularity. *coughBOSScough* Sadly, you can probably include Wraith with the list of molds that have become victems of the ubiquity of the Destroyer.

OP here. Yeah, there's definitely some flavor-of-the-year-ness going on, Shryke is the best example - I've never thrown a Shryke and added that based on my perceived DGCR buzz / popularity and some of the top females throwing them.

The truth is that there is an 80-20 rule (most likely) at play: 80% of all of our Innova discs we throw and bag are represented by only 20% of the molds currently available:

Destroyers
Wraiths
Terns
Firebirds
Teebirds
Rocs
Aviars

Ideally, these would represent 80% of the discs on the shelf, with a few of the next tier: Beasts, Leopards, Makos, etc. and VERY FEW of whatever the bottom tier is. (Give Grooves to Target or Kmart. I'll make another post then, don't worry!)

*Selfishly,* that would make me happy as I would have 8 each of the most popular molds to choose from instead of "NOT ONE GD WRAITH" if that's what I'm looking for. I often shop on the "best available" method, i.e. "What's the sweetest disc on the shelf that fits all my favorite criteria (mold, weight, dome), and I know I'm not alone.

I'm also making the assumption that Wraiths are still top tier, my guess is they're up there and still sell well..

The choice of Innova discs that Meijer carries is not even the worst of it.
A majority of the Mambas and Terns are CLEAR Champion plastic. Talk about setting up your market for repeat customers.
"Hey this disc looks awesome!" Runs out to Riverside Park and shanks the Tern into the woods. "Hey I can't find my disc! Guess I'll have to run back to Meijer and buy another."

Clear Mambas and Terns here in the Detroit area, too. Somewhere there's an order form that says:

🔘 Colored Champion Firebirds $8 (ea)
🔘 Star Destroyers $9 (ea)
🔘 Clear Terns & Mambas $5 (ea)

AND, this week, disc golf products are 30% off at Meijer. So you could get a Skillshot for $70! One stop shopping.

Man you guys gotta stop thinking like dg hipsters you are. I would venture to guess that Innova knows exactly the customer segment who buys discs at a Dicks or Academy and the stock those guys carry accurately reflects that. Warp speed drivers and camoflague factory dyes pop out at somebody who doesn't know much about dg compared to a dx roc. It's not rocket science. It's called knowing your customers and marketing specifically to them. Sure Innova probably gets to unload some stock that dg snobs would consider weak sauce but moving them out of the warehouse frees up working capital for something else...

tumblr_mo1oy0nFZu1qlxbgwo1_500.gif

Man you guys gotta stop thinking like dg hipsters you are. I would venture to guess that Innova knows exactly the customer segment who buys discs at a Dicks or Academy and the stock those guys carry accurately reflects that. Warp speed drivers and camoflague factory dyes pop out at somebody who doesn't know much about dg compared to a dx roc. It's not rocket science. It's called knowing your customers and marketing specifically to them. Sure Innova probably gets to unload some stock that dg snobs would consider weak sauce but moving them out of the warehouse frees up working capital for something else...

YOU think innova would actually pull a move like that? Market the cool looking tye dye but hard to find on the ground discs like champ plastic, and sell them to the mass market?

Not necessarily with the intent that they are easy to lose and are purposefully selling them with repeat buys in mind. But if you see a cool looking tie dye disc sitting next to a solid colored one and don't know much about dg which disc do you think is going to stand out more?

The key to big box is visibility. Something has to grab your eye, and fast. Ironically enough tie dye discs aren't very visible in the woods, but on a shelf they sure are.

YOU think innova would actually pull a move like that? Market the cool looking tye dye but hard to find on the ground discs like champ plastic, and sell them to the mass market?

Dick's is the only big box store around these parts that carries disc, but the one thing I have noticed is, I have never seen a fairway driver in the racks! No Teebirds, not even a Leopard!

Can get all the Grooves and Tie-dye Beasts I could ever want though:gross:

You can thank all the forehanders for that. Gotta have your putt and approach Boss after all. I'd love to see forehand deemed a non-conforming throw.

You can thank all the forehanders for that. Gotta have your putt and approach Boss after all. I'd love to see forehand deemed a non-conforming throw.

Due to multiple shoulder surgeries I can no longer throw backhand. Sidearm only from now on if I want to keep playing.
Take it back. :\

Quick edit: I know, I know, casuals will buy anything, but someone like me who's good for a disc every couple weeks / collecting / stockpiling favorites, that's who's getting cheated. Is "cheated" too harsh? Maybe, but my point is that discs would sell much better if the mix was right..

Also, I just want to buy a Star Wraith sometimes and have no use for Bosses / Katanas / Grooves / Daedeluses.

Daedalus is a wonderful beginner disc.

Casuals and new players are who shop at big box stores....until they find out that online retailers have better selections and service.

Where on earth is the forehand hate coming from? The newbies who buy discs at Dick's and other sporting goods stores aren't buying fast, overstable discs because they are forehand dominant. They have no idea what "overstable" even means. They buy discs because the name is cool, the stamp looks cool, and they're supposed to be "fast" which sounds like the disc will go further for them. The "speed" rating Innova gives has always been a point of confusion for new players because it makes it sounds like "faster" discs will fly further when in fact the opposite is the case. At any rate, I don't think forehand dominant players have anything to do with what sporting goods stores stock. I doubt they even take customer demand into account.

^I agree that new players will buy what looks cool, etc. I think after the fact though, new FH players would be more likely to continue throwing a Boss. A newer BH player will get the n00b hyzers, potentially see someone throw a straight midrange or fairway on the course, then wonder what is wrong with their disc since they can't get it over 115' and a divebomb. Comparatively, a newer FH player will just add torque and anny and try to kill that Boss. It feels way more natural to throw a flex FH than a flex BH for someone new to disc golf. I used to think negatively of FH's because I would only see terrible players using them terribly. Now I throw them a ton.

I would like to know though how these discs are chosen to go to the big stores. Certainly new players shouldn't be throwing Bosses and Grooves, yet that's what they stock.

Latest posts