• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Difference between these two Aviar P&A discs?

DiscinDave

one came with my starter pack a year ago, 145 weight, one I just borrowed off a buddy and love (175).

I notice the one I borrowed has a different emblem, seems to be inked on, whereas the one from the starter pack almost feels like a sticker (lettering and logos feel raised).

I want to get 4 more of the orange colored one to practice putts for consistency, but not sure if I order them they will feel the same... as far as I can tell they should both be DX plastics.

Any help? Is the orange one just an older plastic that I wont be able to replicate with new discs?

http://www.picpaste.com/Aviars.jpeg

Thanks for any assistance.

It depends. Tell us more about what you like about the orange one VS the blue one and we can make better suggestions. You might be able to switch to an R-Pro Aviar or an Omega SS and basically get what you are looking for.

well, it seems to be much flatter on the top, and the plastic seems to feel stickier in my hand than the one I got in my starter kit. Its obviously quite a bit heavier maybe that is adding to my ease of use.

I recently bought a KC Pro and cant stand the big bead on it. Previously tossed a really old XD (which I really liked the low profile of), but this Aviar just feels really nice to putt with, i get a great release, dead straight shot.

The orange one I think it kinda old. I'd recommend going to your local shop and fondling the different Aviars. For a putter, it really comes down to what feels right in your hand.

Completely unscientific anecdotal observation: A lot of 150g Aviar seem to dome up quite a bit, so maybe the one you have from the starter set just has a high dome. If you go with a 175g Aviar that will probably fix that problem.

As for the plastic, yeah the old stuff was grippier. If you try the R-Pro Aviar or the Millennium Omega SS (made by Innova from the Aviar mold) you might get closer to the feel you are looking for. Another disc with a very similar profile that is beadless is the Gateway Warlock. If you got an S or SS Warlock you might like that one.

Finding the right putter is really a personal thing, though. You gotta go break some eggs to figure that omelet out. Good luck.

Excellent replies, I think ill go fondle some discs and break some eggs!! might just order a r-pro aviar P&A for the heck of it too!

Thanks

Get a Yeti Pro Aviar. The plastic is DXish in feel yet alot more durable. It uses a big bead aviar mold which you may like more for putting.

Ofcourse if you dont like the bead on the bottom this post wont help you at all.

the R-pro will be pretty soft compared to a DX aviar. I would recommend a Soft Gateway warlock.
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=173
The older Aviar P & A's like the orange one he likes were softer than the current DX, although an Omega SS and/or R-Pro Aviar will still be softer than the old Aviar P & A's. A S or SS Warlock is going to be closer to the feel of the old Aviar P & A plastic, but in some parts of the country Gateway is hard to come by.

It's kinda a crapshoot, anyway. I got a guy to try a Warlock to replace an Aviar P & A and he said he hated the Warlock. :confused: It's all about feel, comfort and confidence. If you get it in your head that you need a chains Aviar to putt, you need a chains Aviar to putt. Of course you DON'T need a chains Aviar to putt, but I suppose if that is what gets your head in the game it's worth trolling around the Interwebz and paying $30 for one, eh? :|

Get a Yeti Pro Aviar. The plastic is DXish in feel yet alot more durable. It uses a big bead aviar mold which you may like more for putting.

Ofcourse if you dont like the bead on the bottom this post wont help you at all.
He did say he didn't like the big bead, which is why I didn't mention it. The plastic is really close to what he is looking for and with the sunken plate it feels lower in profile than it is. If it was me it would be worth trying, but it is the big bead.

If they have lat64 at your local establishment you may want to try fondling the Mercy as well. EZE plastic is great and the disc is similar to the Aviar.

I'm a fan of the r-pro Aviars. I have had a 168g in my bag for quite awhile now. I've found the flexibility of the plastic on the r-pro to be great when an approach or putt misses the mark as the disc tends to sit and stay rather than rolling or bouncing farther away from the basket. I've even made a few drives and long approach shots with it, and it files pretty good! Also, the r-pro Avaiars are beadless, if you prefer a putter without. The only thing I don't like about the r-pro plastic is its response to temperature extremes. If you let your r-pro get really warm (leaving it in a hot car, etc.) the plastic gets too flexible, at least for my tastes, but once it cools down a little it goes back to normal... not a huge deal.

weird that a day later I googled "difference between magnet and aviar" and this is the first hit.

traded my first DX aviar (145G) from my starter set today for a magnet and I really think I like the feel of the Aviar better. Ordered a R-Pro Aviar, borrowed another aviar... and going to see how it goes.

Worst case, I have 4 Aviars to practice putting with and learn later I like a different putter better.

Felt up an R-Pro at a local shop today and I do like the grip on it, feels like it will last a long time, but the 13.99 tag at a retail store is not cool, ill wait for DGC to ship mine out.

Thanks for the info Brinker on letting an r-pro sit in the warm Michigan temps (especially next 4 days, 100 degrees!) I can see your point, they feel very *gummy* even in the stores AC. im in kzoo - not sure where you are but again, thanks guys.

Latest posts