• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dirty disc stability

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
Ive noticed recently that most of my discs seem more more OS than there have been. One possibility is that the nagging mild left groin strain among a handful of other minor nagging mild injuries has resulted in slight loss of power. Another change recently has been I use a lot of grip wax, dry hands, which has built up varied areas of residue on the discs. I am wondering if this residue could result in the discs flying more OS. I know discs lose stability as they beat in, this residue is not that though and ive cleaned it off and will be able to see if this is true but I wanted to check here and see if anyone has noticed changes in flight from dirty discs or was residue like this, especially if it increased stability? Thanks!

It may be that the most of discs dirty is a more OS than has been. Even sunscreen mild residue could be in part to grip if not stability of wondering. If is true can mud increase flight plate friction which drag resulted in fewer OS like this.

A few months ago, I ordered online a Fission Photon that felt like it had been sealed with cooking oil, very slippery to throw. I took it to the practice field and far more over stable compared to the previous one I had, as in a nosedive. I never used it on the course, I took it down to PIAS to trade it, explained about the slick grip, he just shrugged and offered a good trade value.

Ive noticed recently that most of my discs seem more more OS than there have been. One possibility is that the nagging mild left groin strain among a handful of other minor nagging mild injuries has resulted in slight loss of power. Another change recently has been I use a lot of grip wax, dry hands, which has built up varied areas of residue on the discs. I am wondering if this residue could result in the discs flying more OS. I know discs lose stability as they beat in, this residue is not that though and ive cleaned it off and will be able to see if this is true but I wanted to check here and see if anyone has noticed changes in flight from dirty discs or was residue like this, especially if it increased stability? Thanks!

One of the things that I find regarding injury is that it affects my form, which then affects my power although the perceived power doesn't change. I.e., I still feel like I'm throwing as hard as I can, but the form issues caused by the injury keep that power from getting to the disc. My primary issues have been knee related. Only field work seems to bring the power back for me.

A few months ago, I ordered online a Fission Photon that felt like it had been sealed with cooking oil, very slippery to throw. I took it to the practice field and far more over stable compared to the previous one I had, as in a nosedive. I never used it on the course, I took it down to PIAS to trade it, explained about the slick grip, he just shrugged and offered a good trade value.

Some companies (if not all) add a chemical to the molds so the plastic will release easier. Similar to spraying a cooking pan with Pam or other non-stick sprays so food doesn't stick. I normally wash off a new disc with warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. If you get into disc dyeing, that is one of the things recommended to be done before dyeing a disc.

Some companies (if not all) add a chemical to the molds so the plastic will release easier. Similar to spraying a cooking pan with Pam or other non-stick sprays so food doesn't stick. I normally wash off a new disc with warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. If you get into disc dyeing, that is one of the things recommended to be done before dyeing a disc.

I've never had another disc like it. It was sealed with a chemical of some sort. Reminded me of my first 4 years in the Navy serving in the paint shop of an F-18 fighter squadron prior to Submarine service. We sealed a chemical on the surface of the jets. Likely some type of a mistake with the disc.

I think I figured it out...it is partially injury related and the build up of maxwax on the discs is probably adding several grams of weight...heavier discs, thrown with less power = more stable flight.

wonder what it is about this thread that attracts bots

Latest posts