• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc brands you dislike

Disc brands you dislike

• Innova

Votes: 42 13.6%
  • Discraft

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • Discmania

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • Dynamic

Votes: 58 18.8%
  • Lat 64

Votes: 45 14.6%
  • Westside

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Vibram

Votes: 90 29.1%
  • Legacy

• MVP

Votes: 74 23.9%
  • Prodigy

Votes: 131 42.4%
  • Daredevil

• Gateway

Votes: 48 15.5%
  • Millennium

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • DGA

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • Element Disc

Votes: 23 7.4%
  • Reptilian Disc Golf

Votes: 24 7.8%
  • Lightning

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Prodiscus

Votes: 24 7.8%
  • Aerobie

Votes: 87 28.2%
  • Axiom

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • Kastaplast

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Ozone

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • Yikun

Votes: 56 18.1%
  • RPM Discs

Votes: 19 6.1%

• Total voters
I was lazy about it and FB messaged them and they hand picked out everything I wanted!
Even sent me a pic when I asked.
Still better than tracking down a dude that used to (maybe still does?) work for Clearwater and hoping he feels like responding to you, lol.

Trevor Tojenes I believe is distributing Clearwaters old stock, you can look him up on facebook. He is pretty spotty on response time usually though.

Just came along too late in the game, outside of the hype they got from signing a bunch of pros which one didn't help them because most people on a course have no idea who Paul McBeth or Ken Climo is much less the pros they signed who didn't stick around anyway what have they done? Oh they have a driver that is "like" a Destroyer, or a mid that is "like" a Buzzz? Everything now is just cloning the stuff Innova or Discraft has already done while claiming you have some amazing CE-like plastic that isn't anywhere as durable.

H1 and x1. Especially the h1. Nobody has that sort of monstrous overstability.

Mids are goodaside from the initial debacle. Their putters are good driving putters and 750 is pretty bullet proof. Distance drivers are good too.

I agree their entry was tasteless and overhyped.

Trevor Tojenes I believe is distributing Clearwaters old stock, you can look him up on facebook. He is pretty spotty on response time usually though.

That was the issue. I dealt with him once and it was alright but heard a lot of bad feedback from others. Now that Kastaplast has a new US distributor I'm going to support them. Clearwater messed up dang near every order I placed with them.

Just came along too late in the game, outside of the hype they got from signing a bunch of pros which one didn't help them because most people on a course have no idea who Paul McBeth or Ken Climo is much less the pros they signed who didn't stick around anyway what have they done? Oh they have a driver that is "like" a Destroyer, or a mid that is "like" a Buzzz? Everything now is just cloning the stuff Innova or Discraft has already done while claiming you have some amazing CE-like plastic that isn't anywhere as durable.

The destroyer has evolved into one of the most inconsistent molds i've ever seen. Used to throw the destroyer, but switched to the D1s and D2s years ago. If you ask me, prodigy's 400g and 400s plastic is more durable than innova's star and champ.

Last edited:
The destroyer has evolved into one of the most inconsistent molds i've ever seen. Used to throw the destroyer, but switched to the D1s and D2s years ago. If you ask me, prodigy's 400g and 400s plastic is more durable than innova's star and champ.

Do you hear players complaining that champion or star is not durable enough?

Do you hear players complaining that champion or star is not durable enough?

No but that also has nothing to do with what I am saying. For the record I throw both innova and prodigy, and I am speaking from my personal experience when I say that prodigy plastic seems to be more durable.

I haven't tried any of the new stuff out there, and currently throw wizards and the rest is all innova/discmania. I greatly disliked MVPs plastic the few times I tried it. It always felt like a sheet of glass unless conditions were absolutely perfect. People like discspeed and mike c trying to drive them down your throat really rubbed me the wrong way too. Never met a trilogy disc that I liked either. They all have weird shapes to me and the plactic blends didn't feel good in my hand so between the two I could never get a good grip. Discraft is ok, but they never could figure out their drivers with the force and predator being the only two worth a damn. The wasp is their best mid, but the d plastic is too ****ty to cycle them like rocs. Vibram's discs were always too slippery for me even though they are rubber and shouldn't be and also lacked glide. Prodigy the few molds I tried weren't bad, but it is way too confusing with the numbers and it is impossible to find them by me. The rest of the brands I either haven't tried, heard of, or are too hard to find locally to even justify trying. I greatly prefer to buy my discs in person as every company is inconsistent as hell so you need to be able to find one that jives with you. The reason some companies seem more inconsistent than others is because they sell more discs and have to run them more often.

Still not big on Vibram. I think the Lace is a great mold, but that rubber stuff they use to make discs is too gummy and has some bizarre flight characteristics. I have 1 Lace that absolutely bombs. Everything else I've thrown from that company sucked.

Have you tried the Firm blend? It's basically like G-Star but more tacky. I agree about their original blend though- way too floppy. I've only thrown a couple of their fairway drivers, but thought they flew pretty well and flew similar to their predicted flight pattern. What "sucked" about the stuff you threw?

I voted for Discmania....for one reason, and that's just because their names are so BLAH. PD2 versus something like Katana or Punisher or Trespass....I like my discs to have cool names. Maybe a stupid reason, but its the only one I have.

Disclaimer: I live in MI, so I throw almost exclusively Discraft cuz I wanna support my home brand.

I voted for Discmania....for one reason, and that's just because their names are so BLAH. PD2 versus something like Katana or Punisher or Trespass....I like my discs to have cool names. Maybe a stupid reason, but its the only one I have.

Disclaimer: I live in MI, so I throw almost exclusively Discraft cuz I wanna support my home brand.

They have alternative names for their discs - PD Freak, FD Jackal, PD2 Chaos, CD Craze, P2 Psycho, TD Rush.

If you ask me, prodigy's 400g and 400s plastic is more durable than innova's star and champ.

As somebody who squids I can confirm that no other plastic survives/comes back just the same after water as well as prodigy.

The only thing close might be some lat64 nicer opto blends n stuff but tbh I've never found any that has had longggg water exposure.

Stiffer pfn champ is maybe up there too.

They have alternative names for their discs - PD Freak, FD Jackal, PD2 Chaos, CD Craze, P2 Psycho, TD Rush.

I think I read it in Diskgolfer, but Jussi wanted to just have the "extreme" naming convention: Freak, Psycho, Rush, etc.

Innova had him add the letter+number scheme.

I wanted to like Prodigy...but between their horrid naming convention and the relative lack of glide, I can't deal with them.
Will seems to be a nice guy and I will even root for him(well before this year) to win, but prodigy does not jive with me.
Dynamic, I just don't like their discs. It seems that Westside takes Latitude molds and improve upon them, whilst Dynamic turns them to crap. I haven't thrown all their discs, so maybe it is what I have thrown....I also hate the law enforcement names.

No but that also has nothing to do with what I am saying. For the record I throw both innova and prodigy, and I am speaking from my personal experience when I say that prodigy plastic seems to be more durable.

I've been smashing my 750 Pa1 into trees for a couple of years now. The thing is so dependable. Most durable plastic I've ever thrown.

I wanted to like Prodigy...but between their horrid naming convention and the relative lack of glide, I can't deal with them.
Will seems to be a nice guy and I will even root for him(well before this year) to win, but prodigy does not jive with me.
Dynamic, I just don't like their discs. It seems that Westside takes Latitude molds and improve upon them, whilst Dynamic turns them to crap. I haven't thrown all their discs, so maybe it is what I have thrown....I also hate the law enforcement names.

I never got the Prodigy naming convention hate. While I don't usually care about the name of a disc, I agree that the Dynamic law and order theme is a turnoff-just doesn't work for disc sports, IMO.

I never got the Prodigy naming convention hate. While I don't usually care about the name of a disc, I agree that the Dynamic law and order theme is a turnoff-just doesn't work for disc sports, IMO.

I am not a big fan of the DD naming convention either. The only disc of theirs I bag is the Justice and that is purely on the merit of the disc.

For what it's worth i guess i prefer the naming system similar to golf. It makes it a bit easier to get a better idea of how a diac is going to fly if you have thrown anything in that speed class before. Id rather have prodigy or discmania's system than trying to figure out how a disc will fly by guessing what the wolf, anchor, or the boatman will fly like. Flight numbers aside.

For what it's worth i guess i prefer the naming system similar to golf. It makes it a bit easier to get a better idea of how a diac is going to fly if you have thrown anything in that speed class before. Id rather have prodigy or discmania's system than trying to figure out how a disc will fly by guessing what the wolf, anchor, or the boatman will fly like. Flight numbers aside.

...but it really isn't like golf clubs. There the club's number tells you the loft; there are different series 'names' for different designs and different feels.
MVP/Axiom is closer to ball golf than Prodigy. They list their discs by wing size, the closest comparison we have to golf clubs loft.
If Ping reworks their iron designs, they rename the series. Prodigy reworks a mold, and give no indication on the disc which one it is. At least they could have done what Millennium did and give version numbers.

If you design model is gonna be top down(waterfall method), then it takes a much greater amount of front end research, which is obvious that Prodigy did not do.
Innova and most of the others use a flexible design pattern(agile). It is very organic. They can make what needs to be made now, with what tech and market forces demand. It does make messy overlap at times though.
It looks like MVP, Vibram and Legacy hit the sweet spot between the two methods(Iterative). Some up front design but plenty of room to make changes as the companies grow.

All of that wall of text to say that if one is going to do waterfall planning, then it had better be done right, which is obvious that Prodigy did not do. Perhaps they are doing better now, I wouldn't know. I got such a bad taste in my mouth over the name change on the M1, I think, that I never want to have any of their discs in my bag. I might never be able to replace a disc that I liked.

That and I stare at letters and numbers all day at work( I am a data architect/software developer), I want to leave work behind.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited: