• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc cuts hard to the left

Wow. I thought the only person who ever used this analogy was my high school baseball coach in reference to hitting.

He used "punch the midget" but still.
Wouldn't that be crazy if I WAS YOUR HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL COACH?!?

I just got a Champ Wraith in the mail and man, that disc cuts very hard to the left, and skips like nobodys business.

I just got a Champ Wraith in the mail and man, that disc cuts very hard to the left, and skips like nobodys business.

I just got one of those too. Mine doesn't skip like my long lost TeeRex, but it still gets the job done. It is straigtening out now though which is amazing and if I could putt a drive and a putt together I will have birdied a couple of holes that I have yet to birdie at La Mirada.

well... i think my friend is throwing an archangel but he mainly throws his viper.
he is stubborn though. he wont listen to a thing that any of you have said.
i guess ill try to figure out some ways to get through to him that he isnt gonna drive farther than fifty feet unless he fixes it.

well... i think my friend is throwing an archangel but he mainly throws his viper.
he is stubborn though. he wont listen to a thing that any of you have said.
i guess ill try to figure out some ways to get through to him that he isn't gonna drive farther than fifty feet unless he fixes it.

I think once he sees everyone out driving him, he might change his mind and listen. My nephew is quite stubborn, but his is coming around.

I'm a "pop up" artist too, so I know exactly what that feels like...

There's two really strong reasons for "pop' up", and those are angle of release and posture. Dan Beato has a great video on Youtube that shows correct driving technique and addresses the problems that beginners have with driving. In general, you'll want to get the wing of the disc up (which will eventually give you anhyzer throws when you get better) and you want to keep your aft shoulder high (low shoulder at hit is the same reason for pop ups in baseball; hence the "punch the midget" analogy) in order to keep the thrust angle lower. Also, make sure your thumb is directly above (or slightly ahead of) the grip point of your index finger underneath the disc. This creates more of a "nose-down" release. Weight shift, namely getting more of your weight onto your front foot at release should also help bring the front shoulder down.

Hope this helps. I know that every day is a learning experience for me. Don't give up - eventually you will get better!

Last edited:
Alright...well I am the friend of which Chronodisk speaks.
It's not that I'm stubborn, I just wanted advice from more experienced players.
Thanks for the help, I will try out some of these suggestions tomorrow.

Alright...well I am the friend of which Chronodisk speaks.
It's not that I'm stubborn, I just wanted advice from more experienced players.
Thanks for the help, I will try out some of these suggestions tomorrow.

I have a Viper. I personally cannot throw that disc. It will curve left like a mofo on me. Possibly the worst $8 I have ever spent. I would say go with a different disc.