• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Dyeing 101: The Basics

K.I.S.S.
Keep It Simple Stupid.
Start small. A little disporportionate. No bleed. Wifes disc, favorite band logo. She is happy. I am happy.

100_3461.jpg

Thanks guys for the 101. STICKY THIS THREAD!

Weeding. This is where I screwed up, and rushed into it. First thing I weed was supposed to stay. Oh well, that's fine. It's a mock run afterall. Maybe if I made it thru weeding, I would have gone on to dye with what dye I have.

Any one have any input? Advice? Shoot.

Did you weed before or after sticking the vinyl to the disc? I find it much easier to weed before you apply the transfer tape to the vinyl. I also weed the big pieces as I cut and as mentioned before mark the other pieces to be weeded later.

i weed after transferring too. if you do it before transferring, you run the risk of the "island" pieces moving.

I'll weed things that don't leave an island. I try to pre-weed the larger pieces, so that when I'm applying, I can worry about smoothing out bubbles in the important bits instead of the whole thing...

Hey guys ..... I'm new to this forum, I have to say I've picked up some great tips. Thanks.
I am surprised though, I kind of figured out a method using rit liquid dye with a splash of acetone and a warm oven (WARM).... next time i do one I'll take walk thru picts... It actually entails painting the dye on and letting it set. i have had really good results,the clockwork orange one is my latest. the only thing is it works great for details and multiple layers ,but large areas can turn out blotchy so more coats are needed. It's funny I was freehand drawing these until I saw peabody's getto light box... :) now i have a fire lit under my ass.. and image searching my balls off ...haha

thanks again for all the great tips....

Hey guys ..... I'm new to this forum, I have to say I've picked up some great tips. Thanks.
I am surprised though, I kind of figured out a method using rit liquid dye with a splash of acetone and a warm oven (WARM).... next time i do one I'll take walk thru picts... It actually entails painting the dye on and letting it set. i have had really good results,the clockwork orange one is my latest. the only thing is it works great for details and multiple layers ,but large areas can turn out blotchy so more coats are needed. It's funny I was freehand drawing these until I saw peabody's getto light box... :) now i have a fire lit under my ass.. and image searching my balls off ...haha

use the advanced search and you can search for line-drawings, black and whites, etc. way easier than sorting through 50 pages of results for a stencil

I'll weed things that don't leave an island. I try to pre-weed the larger pieces, so that when I'm applying, I can worry about smoothing out bubbles in the important bits instead of the whole thing...

Interesting. I always pre weed. I also use transfer tape. Never had an issue.

Acetone!!!! even in a warm oven is very very dangerous!!!!! Acetone is highly flammable, putting in an enclosed space and heating it only allows it to evaporate more quickly, yet not escape, you've just created a bomb!!!:doh:

Acetone!!!! even in a warm oven is very very dangerous!!!!! Acetone is highly flammable, putting in an enclosed space and heating it only allows it to evaporate more quickly, yet not escape, you've just created a bomb!!!:doh:

haha.... I don't use much at all and I turn the oven on warm and once it's up to temp
I turn it off and the door stays open... Thanks for the concern though ... :) the dye to acetone mix is like 1 part acetone to 50parts dye and since I make such small batches it's not a factor and there is no container holding the dye seeing as it's painted on. It's deff been a learn as I go method and no smoke alarm has gone off:thmbup:

New marbling technique for all of you out there. Instead of having to take your time with room temp dye, use a microwave safe bowl concentrated liquid RIT dye and some plastic bags. Take the plastic bags place them in a bowl large enough for your disc and drizzle the dye on top. Next place disc on the bags and weight down with something that is also microwave safe. Microwave for one minute. Rinse and your are done!!!

check that 30 seconds at 10 second intervals. Worked fine the first time with a sparkle Squall, but the second time with a standard squall I warped it.

New marbling technique for all of you out there. Instead of having to take your time with room temp dye, use a microwave safe bowl concentrated liquid RIT dye and some plastic bags. Take the plastic bags place them in a bowl large enough for your disc and drizzle the dye on top. Next place disc on the bags and weight down with something that is also microwave safe. Microwave for one minute. Rinse and your are done!!!

i already do that. i made a tutorial for that too. :)

Latest posts