• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc flipping over on me

Actually, spin would keep the discs more stable.

this is wrong, more spin means a less stable flight. that is why noobs throw hyzers.

Assuming the OP doesn't have any OAT issues, it's actually lack of spin that would cause the discs to turn.

this is also wrong. assuming no OAT, his problem would not be happening. and it is not lack of spin, it is too much torque (OAT)

I would work on not accelerating until the disc gets to your chest area (just keep the pull slow and steady leading up to the chest), and focus on following through on a level plane.

this is true but what he really needs to work on is not rolling his wrist. he is burning hyzerflips so torque is the culprit.

FTFY. Have you ever thrown a 150 dx leo?

Gracias...over/under...that's why I tried to add "palm up". I've always thought of the back/top side of the wrist as the reference point, and turning it to the outside puts it under. Wrist mechanics for most humans being what they are, most can't roll them inward more than a few degrees.

I've thrown a 154 dx Leopard and a couple normal weights...more pro and champ in 163-175 weights, and a couple 170ish stars. I have pretty clean form. Learned more from throwing putters, Dart, Stratus, Stingray, etc. Point of your question is...?

Early turn is definitely a sign your velocity overcoming your snap. Your follow through height doesn't have much to do with this.

However, if you're throwing 200' and turning Rocs hard, OAT (wrist roll) is more likely the culprit. I doubt you are turning them by velocity alone, you would have to be throwing farther to do that.

I wouldn't go by that ultimate video for alignment tips, ultimate is different from disc golf in that regard. Among other things, you definitely want your weight forward, don't want your wrist cocked against your forearm, and will need to be able to vary your angle of release.

EDIT: Oops, Oklayzer beat me to it.
1. Follow through height indicates the plane/angle you throw.
2. Wrist roll over is very common to have a low follow through.
3. A high reach back is likely to roll the wrist over.
4. How is ultimate alignment different? You don't change your disc alignment to the forearm to vary angle of release. You change your spine angle and keep all your planes aligned unless you want to add oat.

this is wrong, more spin means a less stable flight. that is why noobs throw hyzers.

this is also wrong. assuming no OAT, his problem would not be happening. and it is not lack of spin, it is too much torque (OAT)

I disagree. The more spin you put on a disc, the straighter it goes. More spin means more resistance to turn and less fade. Noobs throw hyzers because they get no arm speed or spin, and they often throw way nose up.

Gracias...over/under...that's why I tried to add "palm up". I've always thought of the back/top side of the wrist as the reference point, and turning it to the outside puts it under. Wrist mechanics for most humans being what they are, most can't roll them inward more than a few degrees.

I've thrown a 154 dx Leopard and a couple normal weights...more pro and champ in 163-175 weights, and a couple 170ish stars. I have pretty clean form. Learned more from throwing putters, Dart, Stratus, Stingray, etc. Point of your question is...?
If you want to get technical...it's forearm rotation more so than wrist rotation, the wrist just follows.

Just asking if you have thrown one. Maybe you got a stable 150 dx leo run, but the one I have is probably the flippiest disc I own(its actually 148g). I really don't see a how 150 champ leo is gonna mask issues. It's not like I said to get a Firebird. Like I said, it's rare I give disc advice like this, but this is one of those discs that is really hard to learn with. It's fairly obvious he is oating somewhere because his other discs are doing the same thing.

I disagree. The more spin you put on a disc, the straighter it goes. More spin means more resistance to turn and less fade. Noobs throw hyzers because they get no arm speed or spin, and they often throw way nose up.

Agreed with the disagree, except noobs typically throw hyzers because they try to spin a disc like frisbee.

this is true but what he really needs to work on is not rolling his wrist. he is burning hyzerflips so torque is the culprit.

I can't tell if you're trolling or if you're really clueless about how spin and arm speed affect disc flight.

If you want to get technical...it's forearm rotation more so than wrist rotation, the wrist just follows.

Just asking if you have thrown one. Maybe you got a stable 150 dx leo run, but the one I have is probably the flippiest disc I own(its actually 148g). I really don't see a how 150 champ leo is gonna mask issues. It's not like I said to get a Firebird. Like I said, it's rare I give disc advice like this, but this is one of those discs that is really hard to learn with. It's fairly obvious he is oating somewhere because his other discs are doing the same thing.

Hmm...ok. I don't disagree with you a bit, but I'm also not sure how the disc itself became involved here, with me anyway. I think we pretty much overlapped in everything we said except wrist-roll semantics. lol. It's clear that form will help this particular issue, even if it's a flippy disc...and he's got the option to work with it or choose another disc. Easy. :)

In seriously doubting it has anything to do with the disc being "flippy" I've thrown it straight...same with the others...just now in the last like...3 rounds i've played its been a big issue...and like has been pointed out, its happening with multiple discs...my roc and comet are both 170s i think, maybe a little more...and same issue...I definitely dont want to get a different disc, as this is not fixing a problem...I want to get discs to add shots to my game not to fix ones that should be happening naturally...Im definitely going to try to get a video asap...my form is terrible for sure...but i was at least not having this problem and now I am :(...

Also....sidewinder22....every time i see ur avatar...i picture terry tate throwing a Nuke like 1200 feet....picture it...u'll smile

Do you throw with a runup now, and/or have you tried practicing throwing from a standstill? Slowing/shortening/eliminating the runup and/or trying standstill can help with building basics as well as being a refresher when you already have decent form and things fall apart (that happens to most of us at some point for a day or a week, or god forbid a month. lol). The more you learn about what good form is made up of and what it feels like, then the easier it will be to fix things when they feel off on certain days. Always remember that smooth, linear, aligned will equal clean releases for the most part...reduces the oaties and you can save them for when you intend to put them into the throw. If you slow down and look at your mechanics without releasing a disc, sometimes you can see where you might be twisted off plane, and visualizing/remembering the concept of smooth & aligned does seem to help a lot of people.

If your hyzer flips are going out just fine with a Leo, I would imagine your form is fine. As suggested before, if you mean you are trying to get a disc that you can "throw flat" and not have it turn over, a higher speed driver is what I think you need, or a more overstable, champ Leo. Millennium's Orion Long Fade is a 10 speed driver, so it's not something that requires too much sauce, but should be able to handle your flat, hard throws.

But again, if you can achieve the hyzer flip successfully, you form should be OK, but throwing any understable disc (like the Leo) completely with a good bit of power flat will cause it to turn over more than likely. At least in my experience. Who knows, I could have awful form, but it works for me. :)

Last edited:
Also....sidewinder22....every time i see ur avatar...i picture terry tate throwing a Nuke like 1200 feet....picture it...u'll smile

1e1bcecc.jpg

In seriously doubting it has anything to do with the disc being "flippy" I've thrown it straight...same with the others...just now in the last like...3 rounds i've played its been a big issue...and like has been pointed out, its happening with multiple discs...my roc and comet are both 170s i think, maybe a little more...and same issue...I definitely dont want to get a different disc, as this is not fixing a problem...I want to get discs to add shots to my game not to fix ones that should be happening naturally...Im definitely going to try to get a video asap...my form is terrible for sure...but i was at least not having this problem and now I am :(...

The thing with using a really flippy, speed sensitive disc like a 150g DX Leopard is that it's difficult to tell if you're throwing better or worse. If it turns over it could be becasue you threw it faster or becasue you torqued it over more. So while it can encourage you to throw cleaner, it can also encourage you to throw slower, which is usually not what people are after. Granted you do have the other discs to help judge, but why use a disc that isn't helping?

The other thing with the Leopard is it has so little fade that you won't get as much chance to learn to shape lines that require a fade. A reliable fade on a disc can make it much easier to hit specific ranges with. You also won't have a great disc to learn 'S' shots with and that's a very useful line. IMO, the Millennium Polaris LS and DX Cheetah will be better choices. They're still easy to throw like the Leopard, but are much easier to control and shape lines with.