• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc for right dog leg holes

aussieinva

I'm hoping this hasn't been asked 100 times before, if so please point me in the right direction.

I am a RHBH player and I am looking for a good disc that will help me get around the doglegs to the right. My forehand is hopeless and right now I am throwing LHBH to get around the right doglegs but the power is much less and its hit or miss with accuracy. I am sure there are some good putters, mids and drivers I could be using but I'm not sure where to start. What do fellow RHBH use to get around the doglegs to the right?

Sean

Metoer, Glide, Tursas, Fuse, Comet, Stratus, Kite, Stingray, Cobra (all mids, there's plenty more to list)

Undertow, Archangel, Underworld, Avenger SS, TD [turning driver] Rush, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Vision, Mamba, Monarch, NukeSS (all drivers, plenty more...)

It comes down to personal preference....see if you can't get your hands on some understable molds through friends or local stores.

There is no right answer.

Depends on the distance and personal preference, but I'd throw Mamba, River, or a Classic Roc. There's tons of understable stuff out there, it's just a matter of what youre used to.

I don't get a ton of distance with it but I use a light weight Stingray - turns and never fades back.

My X Comet will "work" to the right for me but if I want a "hook" to the right I have to swallow hard and LHBH. Like you though, I am hit and miss on power and accuracy. I'm hoping if I throw it enough it will start to feel more natural.

Curtis

I'd throw a Mamba. My River is pretty dang straight and I dont ever use it on right doglegs for RHBH.

My champ Mamba was a turning machine before I lost it. I still havent replaced it but I know Im going to have to.

My X Comet will "work" to the right for me but if I want a "hook" to the right I have to swallow hard and LHBH. Like you though, I am hit and miss on power and accuracy. I'm hoping if I throw it enough it will start to feel more natural.

Curtis

Glad Im not the only one who does that. I freaked out a few guys in my tournament group a few weeks back when they saw me throw right handed and then suddenly switched to left handed for a certain shot.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice. I have plenty of disc suggestions now and can put many of them on my xmas list (this will keep my family happy as they are normally begging for me to put more than 2 items on my lidt) Learning to throw something other than BH is something I plan to do in the near future as well but it may take a while.

Last edited:
or learn to throw a skip thumber

BINGO!!! That's usually what I do. My FH has been called the worst in NC so if the angles don't work for a nice anny or turnover, I break out a thumber. Change your arm angle and you can get skips and all sorts of curves and lines.

Or learn a FH. That's probably the smartest thing to do. If you are a serious player it will be worth your time.

I'm hoping this hasn't been asked 100 times before, if so please point me in the right direction.

Sean

Don't worry, Sean. It hasn't been asked hundreds of times. ;)

rhbh dogleg right
rhfh vs anny rhbh
turnover vs forehand; a zenbot poll
turnover vs forehand?
forehand vs opposite hand; a timg thread

There are probably more but those are some quick ones via search word "dogleg."

For gradual turns I usually throw a Polecate/Fuse/Leopard on a turnover where it tracks right. For sharp turns, a beat to hell DX anything will usually work great once you bend the flippiness to your will. Or throw a FH. Or opposite hand. Or a roller of some sort. Or skip thumber like others mentioned.

But yeah, it can be done backhand. :hfive:

or learn to throw a skip thumber

BINGO!!! That's usually what I do. My FH has been called the worst in NC so if the angles don't work for a nice anny or turnover, I break out a thumber. Change your arm angle and you can get skips and all sorts of curves and lines.

Or learn a FH. That's probably the smartest thing to do. If you are a serious player it will be worth your time.

Can either of you make a thumber skip nearly as far as a FH or turnover BH? (PS in my arsenal)

I'm not asking about accuracy whatsoever...just distance.

Yes. Since my FH sucks so bad I can make MY thumber skip more than MY FH. BUT I can probably NOT make my thumber skip as much as a decent FH. IMO BH turnovers don't really skip much. They might glide well, but they don't skip. Relax, we're giving a guy with limited shots and skills options to try, and see what works best for him. It might not be the best option, or the option for you, but it can work.

I have a very solid back hand but I love still love throwing meteors for many back hand turn over shots they are nice and slow easy to control but due to tons of glide go really far

Yes. Since my FH sucks so bad I can make MY thumber skip more than MY FH. BUT I can probably NOT make my thumber skip as much as a decent FH. IMO BH turnovers don't really skip much. They might glide well, but they don't skip. Relax, we're giving a guy with limited shots and skills options to try, and see what works best for him. It might not be the best option, or the option for you, but it can work.

No no no, very much relaxed! :)

I was honestly just curious. And I wasn't talking about FH or BH skipping...I meant thumber skip VS. air shot FH/BH. Thanks for the reply!